Education Needed: searching for new car inventory

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2006, 02:02 AM
CP
Race Director

Received 334 Likes on 239 Posts
Default Education Needed: searching for new car inventory

Hi,

If I am searching for new Porsche (model specific) inventory, I currently go to individual dealers' sites, and then view their inventory for specific models. I sometimes go to Carsdirect.com or Cars.com etc. and look at dealerships that listed the highest number of cars in the model I'm searching for. All in all very inefficient.

Ideally, there is a site (like Google) that I can type in say 997GT3, and it will hit and list every dealership site that has 993GT3s. But so far I have found nothing of this sort. Does any body know of a better way to search new car inventories for specific model more effectively?

Thanks for the education.

CP
Old 12-12-2006, 07:12 AM
SJB993
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Have you tried Porsche's own USA website.

Here in the UK you can usually search all a manufacturer's dealerships from their corporate website.
Old 12-12-2006, 08:58 AM
BIG-BRO
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Don't depend on the dealer cars shown on cars.com or autotrader.com. Most just leave ones up there to get you to call, etc. Those websites are not REAL dealer inventory.
Old 12-12-2006, 09:38 AM
jnx
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes, Contact the dealer of your choice and have him look for it in their computer system. They are linked to all dealers and should be happy to do this for you.
Old 12-12-2006, 02:46 PM
chris walrod
Guru
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 101 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by jnx
Yes, Contact the dealer of your choice and have him look for it in their computer system. They are linked to all dealers and should be happy to do this for you.
This is great advice!

After that elusive Cayman?
Old 12-12-2006, 02:57 PM
CP
Race Director

Originally Posted by jnx
But the sales guy will think that I will not buy from him/them. Why would he be happy to show me other dealers' inventory so I can go buy from them instead?

Chris,

Yes, Cayman primarily. But this is a generic question.

CP
Old 12-12-2006, 03:01 PM
Joe S.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Porsche's web site will show all the new models availible at each dealer and what options each car has.
Old 12-12-2006, 03:04 PM
Joe S.
Addict
Rennlist Member

One other thing. The cars.com or wherever only show cars from participating dealers, so you don't see all dealer inventory.
Old 12-12-2006, 03:15 PM
CP
Race Director

Originally Posted by Joe S.
Porsche's web site will show all the new models availible at each dealer and what options each car has.
Joe,

I'm both lazy and computer illiterate. Can you send me a link and I'll book-mark that? Really? each dealer across the entire U.S.? I thought they are segmented geographically.

Thanks.

CP
Old 12-12-2006, 03:23 PM
Joe S.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Pong,

Go here: http://www.porsche.com/usa/dealers/

You can search for dealers by zip code which will show dealers up to a 300 mile radius or search dealer by state then look at their inventories.
Old 12-12-2006, 03:38 PM
chris walrod
Guru
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 101 Likes on 52 Posts

I guess it depends on any relationship you have with a local Pcar dealer. If you find a car at a dealer that you feel comfortable dealing with, but say its not exactly what you want, many dealers will do a dealer trade with another dealer that has THE car you want. Downsides are that, in some cases, its tougher to deal with them as its not something in THEIR inventory.

Good luck in your search Pong! Dont be shy, ask questions here as there is a lot of great advice just a few keystrokes away!!
Old 12-12-2006, 11:42 PM
CP
Race Director

Originally Posted by 993James993
CP, why not consider a custom order with European delivery? I'm not sure how long the waiting list is but getting the car of your dreams built to your specs has to be the thrill of a lifetime.
James,

I actually really wanted to do European delivery. But something changed my mind.

https://rennlist.com/forums/987-forum/283099-x-post-cayman-s-european-delivery-disaster-not-mine.html

If this happens on our anniversary, my wife will never forgive me. The problem is that the various European countries may not be as respectful to Porsche owners as one might expect. If any problems occur, we could well be stuck.

Joe,

I went to your link, and as I noted, I could only serach one state at a time. I then need to go to indivual dealer site, and peruse their Cayman inventory. What I would like is one hit that takes me to ALL dealer Cayman inventories, dealer by dealer. I don't think that search exists. But imagine how many car shoppers would use it if available.

CP
Old 12-12-2006, 11:59 PM
cabrio993
Race Car

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

If you are looking for Caymans, check Hennessy Porsche here in Atlanta, I drove by there a couple of days ago and the lot was full of Caymans of all colors and options. Maybe 30 or 40 at least. More were being downloaded from the truck.

I just checked their web site and it shows 25 standard Cayman and 13 Cayman S. I am sure they'll be willing to negotiate some as their lot is pretty full.

http://www.hennessyporsche.com/

Just click on Inventory, new car Inventory.

Edit: Click on 'Specials' ..."special pricing on ALL Caymans, reg $61,560 rduced to $54,972. Ends 12/31/06"...That;s the advertised specials...I bet they are more motivated than that.
Old 12-13-2006, 12:12 AM
Joe S.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by CP
Joe,

I went to your link, and as I noted, I could only serach one state at a time. I then need to go to indivual dealer site, and peruse their Cayman inventory. What I would like is one hit that takes me to ALL dealer Cayman inventories, dealer by dealer. I don't think that search exists. But imagine how many car shoppers would use it if available.

CP
Right, I don't think that kind of search exists. Most of the dealers around here do seem to have a lot of inventory sitting on the lot.
Old 12-13-2006, 09:39 AM
DC from Cape Cod
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 51 Likes on 32 Posts

Or you could contact Alfie at Ira Porsche - they are a Rennlist site sponsor.

Quick Reply: Education Needed: searching for new car inventory