Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2006, 11:05 AM
slider172
Scared to Look
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Valve guide wear

Just wondering
My buddy has a old 454 engine that he has to put Marvel Mystry oil in the gas to run to lube the valves or it clanges like hell.
I was wondering if this would help the 993 valve guide wear problem if I were to add a little every now and then?
My thought is it should help the valves. BUT What will it do to the emissions system?
Would I be creating more problems than solving? My guess is it would create more problems than it would solve, but I thought I'd put it out for debate.
Old 12-04-2006, 07:43 PM
slider172
Scared to Look
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok, Did I stump the band, or come up with a question too dumb to even respond to?
Old 12-04-2006, 07:46 PM
chris walrod
Guru
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 101 Likes on 52 Posts

I used MMO for top end lubricants before, but in cars without O2 sensors as I never knew what if would do to it. Same goes for MAF sensors.
Old 12-04-2006, 08:22 PM
tj90
Three Wheelin'

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts

Probably get more hits if you relabel the title with Mystery oil valve guide or something.
Old 12-04-2006, 08:36 PM
amfp
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

MMO is like running auto trans fluid in the oil. It does a good job in cleaning traditional engines. I don't see how it would help guide seals, so would not want to think what it may do with a Porsche engine. The only additive I would put in a Porsche are fuel injection cleaners in gas tank, specifically BG-44 or Techron.
Old 12-04-2006, 10:37 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 253 Likes on 223 Posts
Default Old trick to quiet engine was to put gear lube in crankcase...

Originally Posted by slider172
Just wondering
My buddy has a old 454 engine that he has to put Marvel Mystry oil in the gas to run to lube the valves or it clanges like hell.
I was wondering if this would help the 993 valve guide wear problem if I were to add a little every now and then?
My thought is it should help the valves. BUT What will it do to the emissions system?
Would I be creating more problems than solving? My guess is it would create more problems than it would solve, but I thought I'd put it out for debate.

These kinds of additives are not going to keep valves/guides from wearing out, but will help quiet them.

Best way to avoid or stand the best chance of avoiding excessive/premature valve guide, stem wear is to use a quality oil of the proper viscosity and grade, change oil/filter regularly (and probably more often than factory recommends).

If vehicle sees severe usage: lots of stop/go, idling, short trips, track time; this useage would call for an even more agressive oil/filter change schedule.

Use a fuel injector cleaner a tank or two before every oil/filter service and run the best grade and highest octane gasoline available in your area.

No need to search out and run 100 octane gasoline, but a quality premium is, dare I say it, good enough, best you can use on a regular basis.

Sincerely,

Macster.
Old 12-04-2006, 10:40 PM
Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems
RL Technical Advisor

Received 64 Likes on 48 Posts

The problem with the Porsche guides is not lubrication-related; its based on inconsistent & poor fitment at the factory as well as their choice of guide materials.

MMO is neat stuff for what it was intended for but IMHO, it has no application in a 911 motor.

Quick Reply: Valve guide wear