Sponsored by:

Just got back my 95' 993 from top end re-build

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2006, 07:16 PM
fast_freddy
Rennlist Member

Received 789 Likes on 424 Posts
Default Just got back my 95' 993 from top end re-build

I just got my 993 back from a top end rebuild and a variety of other mods and I have to say WOW, what a difference. The following things were done to it:

- Complete "valve job", Replaced Valve Guides, piston rings, case o-rings
- Replaced clutch and flywheel with RS spec
- Replaced engine mounts with RS spec
- Replaced plugs, plug wires, caps, rotors, belts (including dist belts), gaskets
- Installed Cat-Bypass pipes
- Align/corner Balance

I don't see what the big deal is about tranny noise with the RS clutch/LW flywheel as its barely noticeable but the performance difference is UNBELIEVABLE. All i can say is WOW! The only time the car stalled was when I first got in it, I guess the ecu is accomodating it now. It kinda "bounces" at about 600 rpm then settles in at normal idle. I have stalled it two times just getting used to the clutch uptake and the difference in feeding it throttle. Now after one day I am largely used to it. The performance now feels like the car is brand new, I should have done this a long time ago. In terms of additional horsepower that the Cat bypass and other things have given it would be hard to say in regards to HP gains as I didnt have it dyno'd before and after but it is most certainly stronger. I might even be so bold to say it pulls as hard now as a friends 997 (non "s"). The sound from the exhaust is amazing without being hideous with a little crackle/popping on throttle lift but not too bad (or good depending on if you like that - I do).

I had the work done at a place called Exotech in Plaistow New Hampshire and couldnt be happier with the guy who owns the place and does the lions share of the work, Mark Nadler. Very nice guy and certainly not even close to thinking he is the "bomb" because he fixes Porsches, he's humble and smart, just the kind of guy I like to take care of my car. Most certainly worth the 200 mile drive each way and not having a 993 "fix" for a few weeks. Too bad it's utterly dreadful outside here today (pissing rain and cold, which means it's dicy at any altitude over 800 feet) as I was aching to take it into the mountains for a drive.
Old 12-01-2006, 07:26 PM
jdistefa
Rennlist Member

Received 483 Likes on 256 Posts

Did you upgrade the valve springs while you were in there? I.e. to reduce hi RPM float?
Old 12-01-2006, 07:29 PM
Olav A.
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

When I got my LWFW installed I disconnected the battery for a while to reset the ECU.

Before, the tach bounced way down into 600 and other funny behavior now, after the ECU has adapted it's, perfect.

It's like a new car after the LWFW. Good choice!
Old 12-01-2006, 07:32 PM
fast_freddy
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by jdistefa
Did you upgrade the valve springs while you were in there? I.e. to reduce hi RPM float?
Nope... He thought they were in great shape and said they should be good for quite some time.
Old 12-01-2006, 07:34 PM
Adrienne
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 16 Likes on 5 Posts

Congrats on getting your "new" car back! I had the same work done over a year ago. The LWF is an incredible difference, isn't it?!?!
Old 12-01-2006, 07:36 PM
fast_freddy
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Adrienne
Congrats on getting your "new" car back! I had the same work done over a year ago. The LWF is an incredible difference, isn't it?!?!
Yes it is incredible, but I think that might be a bit of an understatement. One thing to consider as well is that some other things were done too that might "heighten" the effect of the LWF. another thing I found is that the revs do not spool down nearly as fast as I thought they would. Faster than before, absolutely. Problematic? Not even close.
Old 12-01-2006, 08:24 PM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Received 499 Likes on 320 Posts

Awesome, Freddy. Did your shop clean your ISV valve? How much to do the top end, if I may ask?
Old 12-01-2006, 09:06 PM
geolab
Rennlist Member

Received 182 Likes on 125 Posts

Originally Posted by fast_freddy
the revs do not spool down nearly as fast as I thought they would. Faster than before, absolutely. Problematic? Not even close.
IMO, cold and humid air, and/or a less than perfectly clean Idle control valve will tend to hesitate the rpm while spooling down.
In some 993's and in cold weather, if the oil temp gauge is not at 9 o'clock, it hesitates for a fraction at around 1100 rpm before settling down at idle.
Old 12-01-2006, 09:11 PM
fast_freddy
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Mark in Baltimore
Awesome, Freddy. Did your shop clean your ISV valve? How much to do the top end, if I may ask?
Yes, Isv has been cleaned. Valve guides were replaced of course, he said valves and springs were in great condition and didn't warrant replacing. He said the guides were pretty far along being shot but considering it had 95k miles at the time he said they were weren't as bad as the mileage would indicate they should be. I guess I got a little lucky in that regard. Other than the "clean up" of deposits and such there was no other work necessary, so I'm told.

Tomorrow, I'm delving into my 75 911S and doing a complete ground up rebuild on the entire car myself, paint, interior and all. It only cost a few grand so there isnt too much at risk on me doing it and I'm also anxious to start working on cars again (other than the "basic" stuff) as I havent done anything since the mid-late 80's other than a head gasket on a neighbors neon (his winter car so not too much risk there either). I'm going to "pimp" it a bit, just some common upgrades to 911's of that generation, but nothing too "extreme" as this will be my wifes summer fun car. The engine was rebuilt about 40k miles ago to repair the pulled head studs that are common on this generation 911 so that makes things a bit more managable. I figure about six months of weekends and any other free moment I get to get the job done. Just in time for summer (here at least).
Old 12-02-2006, 12:11 AM
Steve Nagata
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Did you upgrade the guides to the better Bronze phosper or the Bronze Maganese?
Old 12-02-2006, 12:13 AM
fast_freddy
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Steve Nagata
Did you upgrade the guides to the better Bronze phosper or the Bronze Maganese?
Phosphorous I believe.

Last edited by fast_freddy; 12-02-2006 at 01:26 AM.
Old 12-02-2006, 06:49 AM
pedsurg
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the thread. What were your "symptoms" at 95K that led to the top end rebuld.
Jack
Old 12-02-2006, 07:40 AM
Flying Finn
King of Cool
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Sounds good! And 911 project too! I want to start something like that with my son.
Old 12-02-2006, 02:38 PM
fast_freddy
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by pedsurg
Thanks for the thread. What were your "symptoms" at 95K that led to the top end rebuld.
Jack
Oil consumption went from not too bad, 1Qt every 1000 severe use/city miles to about to about 1Qt every 500 miles in what seemed like over night. Also, I was over 90k miles so I figured it was time anyway. I wasn't getting blue smoke at all but as my mechanic told me the catalyst will deal with quite a lot of burnt oil before it gets past.
Old 12-02-2006, 02:44 PM
Terry Adams
Rennlist Member

Received 909 Likes on 547 Posts

My experience exactly with a top end rebuild and LWF/RS clutch at the same time. I would have done the regearing "while we are in there", but it ain't broke. Maybe at the next rebuild.

Quick Reply: Just got back my 95' 993 from top end re-build