Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Just got back my 95' 993 from top end re-build

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2006, 03:08 PM
993c2cab
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default HELP. WHAT'S A RESONABLE PRICE TO PAY FOR..

a used cat bypass pipe. thanks
Old 12-02-2006, 03:11 PM
993c2cab
Rennlist Member

whoops didn't mean to hijack
Old 12-02-2006, 03:14 PM
fast_freddy
Rennlist Member

Received 789 Likes on 424 Posts

Originally Posted by 993c2cab
a used cat bypass pipe. thanks
New ones run $475-$550 so a 1/2 decent used one I imagine would be worth $190-$250 or so. Like everything else, it depends on the brand/condition.
Old 12-03-2006, 05:03 AM
pchansen1
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So, I still gotta ask as I too have a 95 993 with 80K on the clock...how much should I budget for exactly what you had done?

Thanks,
Paul
Old 12-03-2006, 11:28 AM
fast_freddy
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by pchansen1
So, I still gotta ask as I too have a 95 993 with 80K on the clock...how much should I budget for exactly what you had done?

Thanks,
Paul
About $8k.
Old 12-03-2006, 11:55 AM
Monique
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by jdistefa
Did you upgrade the valve springs while you were in there? I.e. to reduce hi RPM float?
Of you observe the red line, you should never float your valves. Over the red line, the bets are off. Increase rpm = new conrods. $$
Old 12-03-2006, 04:10 PM
BrokenE
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by fast_freddy
I just got my 993 back from a top end rebuild and a variety of other mods and I have to say WOW, what a difference. The following things were done to it:

- Complete "valve job", Replaced Valve Guides, piston rings, case o-rings
- Replaced clutch and flywheel with RS spec
- Replaced engine mounts with RS spec
- Replaced plugs, plug wires, caps, rotors, belts (including dist belts), gaskets
- Installed Cat-Bypass pipes
- Align/corner Balance

Fast Freddy, your car looks great, I really like the RUF wheels. Just wondering, is it normal to do replace piston rings on a top end rebuild?
Old 12-03-2006, 04:35 PM
jdistefa
Rennlist Member

Received 483 Likes on 256 Posts

Originally Posted by Monique
Of you observe the red line, you should never float your valves. Over the red line, the bets are off. Increase rpm = new conrods. $$
JP,
I asked the question based on 3 factors:
1. The sometimes mentioned, but to my knowledge, never proven concern about valve spring fatigue over time.
2. Racing/DE applications.
3. New chip or remapping to change the rev limiter setting.
Old 12-03-2006, 05:32 PM
fast_freddy
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by BrokenE
Fast Freddy, your car looks great, I really like the RUF wheels. Just wondering, is it normal to do replace piston rings on a top end rebuild?
Good question... I figured that "might as well while you're in there", the cost was nominal. However, whether its necessary or not I don't have an answer for you.

Steve Weiner, are you there?
Old 12-03-2006, 07:38 PM
Terry Adams
Rennlist Member

Received 909 Likes on 547 Posts

Good question... I figured that "might as well while you're in there", the cost was nominal. However, whether its necessary or not I don't have an answer for you.

Steve Weiner, are you there?
My piston rings were ok at the 120K rebuild. And the cylinder walls still had pristine cross-hatch marks. If that's an indicator. Rings not replaced. Even though I was very open to "while we are in there".
Old 12-04-2006, 04:16 AM
Monique
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by jdistefa
JP,
I asked the question based on 3 factors:
1. The sometimes mentioned, but to my knowledge, never proven concern about valve spring fatigue over time.
2. Racing/DE applications.
3. New chip or remapping to change the rev limiter setting.
Hello Matt,

Regarding point #1... metallurgy never forgets. This is why turbine engines are operated at the lowest possible setting for take off given present runway and environmental conditions. Valve springs do lose some of their "spring" ...

Can a real "nennenneer" pipe in...??
Old 12-04-2006, 09:03 AM
eloyex
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

About $8k.
8K is not that bad -----
and you get a much improved engine ....
not bad at all .....
Old 12-04-2006, 10:07 AM
jaholmes
Drifting

About $8k.
Was there ever an option to go to a 3.8 build. Just wondering if you had a quote for this. I hear that the pistions / parts for a 3.8 build is around $7k. So I am betting it would have doubled the price. It might even be more if you throw in RS Cams and other goodies.

Jim
Old 12-04-2006, 10:33 AM
jdistefa
Rennlist Member

Received 483 Likes on 256 Posts

Originally Posted by Monique
Hello Matt,

Regarding point #1... metallurgy never forgets. This is why turbine engines are operated at the lowest possible setting for take off given present runway and environmental conditions. Valve springs do lose some of their "spring" ...

Can a real "nennenneer" pipe in...??
JP, no doubt! I just wondered how much the potential fatigue makes a real world difference for daily driving purposes. It's one thing to have a mechanic say they 'look and work fine', and quite another thing to have pistons and valves kissing each other.
Old 12-04-2006, 10:39 AM
fast_freddy
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by jaholmes
Was there ever an option to go to a 3.8 build. Just wondering if you had a quote for this. I hear that the pistions / parts for a 3.8 build is around $7k. So I am betting it would have doubled the price. It might even be more if you throw in RS Cams and other goodies.

Jim
The option was there, sure. But for just 5.5% (approx 15) more horespower in spending another $4500-$5000, I dunno.... As the kids say these days, "That's kinda spendy" I think we are at a point of diminishing return at about the horsepower these cars are already at. More hp only means very very nominal gains in truly meaningful performance. From what I understand our money is much better spent on a tranny re-gear rather than more grunt. Also, the LW flywheel, chip, cat bypass, exhaust, etc. has made about the same hp gain, perceived and real as the 3.8 p/c at substantially less cost. Yes, the 3.8's might add ANOTHER 5% but I would much rather put that money into suspension (done to my tastes/pursposes) or perhaps something else that disposable income would consume. For my tastes, this car is "done". It's just how I like it. On the other hand I'm in the process of getting another 993 that I am very seriously considering up-converting into an RS spec car that would be used primarily on the track and on the road to and from the track. That capital would be better spent there than on this car which is a daily driver.

Quick Reply: Just got back my 95' 993 from top end re-build