Occasional Burning Smell

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2006, 09:23 AM
urban_alchemist
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Occasional Burning Smell

Hi guys,

Life with the 993TT is a generally blissful experience, minor niggles (windscreen creak), and major irritations (painful driver's seat) aside. However, in the past two weeks, a new issue's raised its ugly head.

Every now and then, I get a really strong burning smell filling the cabin. It only lasts a few seconds (and a good blast from the A/C is usually enough to clear it), and doesn't seem to happen at any particular point (no specific rev point, gear etc). I thought it could be an oil leak, but everything seems to be A-OK with the oil level - topped up a few weeks ago, and still at the same level today - and pressure.

Any idea what it could be? And please, nobody say 'oil leak' as I'm trying to mentally deny even the remotest of possibilities.

Cheers,
Julian
Old 12-01-2006, 09:57 AM
Stewart
Instructor

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

Despite not wanting to hear it, you could have a cam cover gasket leak - may be very minor and hence not causing a noticable loss of oil, and not necessarily worth tackling (although it is not an expensive fix). Oil from there can spot onto the exhaust when the car's moving and burn off, giving a slight whiff of smoke (you may see it coming from a rear wheel arch when you stop) and which, most likely when standing still, can then be pulled into the fresh air intake.
Old 12-01-2006, 10:59 AM
AOW162435
Seared
Rennlist Member

Received 415 Likes on 233 Posts

Is your engine cover still on? If so, you be unaware of small oil leaks.

Andreas
Old 12-01-2006, 11:11 AM
Bokonon
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just last night I had the same experience. Mine was more of a match-stick, sulfur type of smell as I was exiting the car. I think I had read earlier that it could be from the catalytic converter. I walked around the car to try to pinpoint it, but it disappeared before I could get any idea. But it smelled exactly like someone lighting a match and blowing it out. Odd.
-terry
Old 12-01-2006, 01:58 PM
993RS
Race Car

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Happens to me now and then. I have a small oil leak. Nothing serious. If you are worried, have your mechanic wash your engine clean, drive it for a day, then have him locate the leak. Most leaks are nothing to worry about.
Old 12-01-2006, 02:04 PM
Adrienne
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 16 Likes on 5 Posts

Considering your location and the current temps, is this happening when your heater is on?
Old 12-01-2006, 02:09 PM
Red rooster
Three Wheelin'

Julian,
If you can try too determine whether the smell is oil burning/ electrical burning/
cat alytic converter stink-eggs.
The type of smell will allow an educated guess as to where it may be coming from!

Good sniffing

Geoff
Old 12-01-2006, 02:16 PM
urban_alchemist
Pro

OK... how to describe a smell. It's bloody strong for a start, but is definitely not a sulphurous smell. Smelt somewhere between plastic and rubber burning - pretty noxious, and highly unpleasant. Could be oil though.

Oh, and I do have the engine cover on... and Adrienne - the heater's always on. It's bloody freezing here at the moment! If you want to swap, Texas is looking pretty good right about now...
Old 12-01-2006, 02:18 PM
urban_alchemist
Pro

Stewart - that does sound likely, as the car was at a stanstill every time I remember it happening (damn the central London congestion to hell)... 'congestion' charge my ****...
Old 12-01-2006, 02:38 PM
creator8
Instructor

Its oil burning. I had a leak from my oil filter (I guess this isn't unusual) and there was a lot of oil built up and it got onto the pipe. Stank badly.

Just need to find the leak.
Old 12-01-2006, 02:41 PM
Adrienne
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 16 Likes on 5 Posts

Well, it could be your heat ducting deteriorating. I don't know the exact details, but from what I understand, some rubber seals in the heating system may no longer be sealing, so you could be getting exhaust into your car. As you indicated, the smell goes away when you switch on the AC. My mechanic has seen more 993s coming in for this issue, since the cars are aging now. Shut the heater off and see if the smell goes away completely. If so, voila!!!
Old 12-01-2006, 09:24 PM
geolab
Rennlist Member

Received 182 Likes on 125 Posts

Originally Posted by Bokonon
Just last night I had the same experience. Mine was more of a match-stick, sulfur type of smell as I was exiting the car. I think I had read earlier that it could be from the catalytic converter. I walked around the car to try to pinpoint it, but it disappeared before I could get any idea. But it smelled exactly like someone lighting a match and blowing it out. Odd.
-terry
Hello Terry, here is THE advice for your case

Last edited by geolab; 11-02-2007 at 06:13 AM.
Old 12-02-2006, 05:03 AM
sidned
Pro

Are you sure it's not just your tyres getting hot? I've touched mine after a spirited run and they get bloody hot! Are you exhaust shields intact?

Quick Reply: Occasional Burning Smell