Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Has anyone removed the sound foam while recarpeting?

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2006 | 01:13 PM
TheOtherEric
Rennlist Member

Default Has anyone removed the sound foam while recarpeting?

So I have my carpet completely stripped out, and I'm just looking at the thick foam underlay thinking "gee I bet I could save some weight here." But I assume that installing carpet over the bare metal either wouldn't work or would just look bad. Has anyone ditched the foam and then recarpeted?

BTW, my car isn't a complete track car, so I want to maintain a good appearance.

EDIT: just to be clear, I'm mainly referring to the entire back area and front center console. Not just the floors. Every single piece of carpet is out of my car, with just sound foam remaining.

Last edited by TheOtherEric; 11-30-2006 at 04:58 PM.
Old 11-30-2006 | 01:43 PM
Don Plumley
Burning Brakes

Yes. Follow the link in my signature for some details. The floor under the drivers and pax side is not level and you will have to create a level surface for the carpet. Otherwise it's about 30# of unnecessary weight.
Old 11-30-2006 | 01:55 PM
Steve Nagata
Racer

Yes done it. Saves about 30-35lbs. 3 Garbage bags full of the stuff.

Keep the pass and driver's padding. The floor under the mat will be uneven.
Old 11-30-2006 | 02:04 PM
TheOtherEric
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Don Plumley
Yes. Follow the link in my signature for ...
Thanks Don. I saw your posts on the recarpeting, but I didn't see comments about the pros and cons of removing the padding. For example, risk of smashing the wire harnesses, carpet unevenness, inability to have anyone ever sit in the back again, etc. Plus there's no returning after you pull up that padding since AFAIK you can't buy a replacement!
Old 11-30-2006 | 02:18 PM
RickBetterley
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Hi Other Eric
My track car has the floor carpeting removed; I can snap and post some pics if you like.
Carpet was removed when converted into a track car, althought the RS (?) lightweight carpet replaced the factory orginal on the side panels and rear floor.
I too was worried about abuse of the wiring harness; everytime I hopped into the drivers seat (not easy with a helmet and full cage) my right foot landed on the harness - which is a bundle of really important tiny wires.
So, I snaked the wires into a piece of clear plastic tubing and used some tape to bind it shut.
Let me know if I should shoot the pictures.
Old 11-30-2006 | 02:20 PM
pcar964
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Can't buy a replacement? It must be available somewhere!
Old 11-30-2006 | 02:21 PM
katrina
Track Day

Who is making replacment carpets for the 993?
Old 11-30-2006 | 02:52 PM
TheOtherEric
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by pcar964
Can't buy a replacement? It must be available somewhere!
The foam parts that go under the carpet are pretty thick with a rubbery/plastic surface and are huge molded pieces. *If* you could buy replacements, they would surely cost a fortune. I'd be surprised if they're available since practically nobody would ever need to buy them.

Katrina- I got a replacement carpet set from world upholstery (www.worlduph.com). I haven't installed it yet, but it looks to be excellent quality. We'll see at installation time.
Old 11-30-2006 | 03:12 PM
RickBetterley
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Replacement foam pieces -I wonder if these could be mocked up, since they are not visible.
Old 11-30-2006 | 03:38 PM
TheOtherEric
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by RickBetterley
Replacement foam pieces -I wonder if these could be mocked up, since they are not visible.
Maybe, but it would be difficult. First, I think the thickness varies. Second, you'd need that plastic lining on top, which gives the carpet a firmer feel (you wouldn't want to just attach the carpet to foam).

Rick- can I take you up on that offer for pics? I'm interested in the rear area and center console area. I'm still trying to figure out what Don did to his center console area- looks like he installed *something* over the metal center tunnel before carpeting. Don?
Old 11-30-2006 | 04:03 PM
RickBetterley
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Hi Eric
Glad to do the pictures, although the center console is carpeted; it is only the floors that are uncarpeted.
Would the this still help you? Glad to do the pics if they do. Probably can get to them tonight.
Old 11-30-2006 | 04:11 PM
Flying Finn
King of Cool
Rennlist Member

It's PITA to remove it (I lost the skin on my fingers) but definitely worth it!

You'll end up with little gaps (i.e. under center console) but overall it looks good without the carpet. not only weight, but also the sound is improved, especially if you also remove the engine compartment sound deadening, you'll hear more lovely mechanical noises!
Old 11-30-2006 | 04:12 PM
Greg Fishman
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by TheOtherEric
The foam parts that go under the carpet are pretty thick with a rubbery/plastic surface and are huge molded pieces. *If* you could buy replacements, they would surely cost a fortune. I'd be surprised if they're available since practically nobody would ever need to buy them.

Katrina- I got a replacement carpet set from world upholstery (www.worlduph.com). I haven't installed it yet, but it looks to be excellent quality. We'll see at installation time.
I just bought a set for my 993 from Sunset. Aprox $200 for the set.
Old 11-30-2006 | 04:34 PM
Steve Nagata
Racer

Replcaement foam pieces under the front mats is 70US each side.

I threw them out and thought I coudl live with teh uneveness of the floor underneath.... I could not.

Pros? Lighter = fast
Cons? get's noisy. You hear ever rock that hits the bottom of your car and a little more rattling.
Old 11-30-2006 | 04:51 PM
TheOtherEric
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Greg Fishman
I just bought a set for my 993 from Sunset. Aprox $200 for the set.
Greg- surely you're not referring to a complete foam kit including the rear parts are you? I.e. behind the rear seat backs, under the rear seats, surrounding the rear center tunnel, the front center console, etc. And then of course the front & rear footwells.

Quick Reply: Has anyone removed the sound foam while recarpeting?