Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How much brake fluid is required to bleed brakes and clutch slave cylinder?

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2006, 05:31 AM
RS man
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

problem with doing all seems to me that I may need the Hammer.

Harry
Old 11-26-2006, 05:37 AM
Monique
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Nah... you have email
Old 11-26-2006, 06:20 AM
RS man
Rennlist Member

Thanks,

I will start gently and I'll letyou do the hard bits 1st. I'm a 1st time DIYer so I am rather cautious. By the way do you know where to buy the bleeding nipple for the calipers? I presume Brembo will have some spare. One thing I do suggest is use a socket to loosen the valve (then use a hex wrench) as some gorilla must have put on the valve on my calipers and it is no longer as pristine as it was previously.

Harry
Old 11-26-2006, 08:00 AM
RS man
Rennlist Member

Man, why are the bits that I need to get to in the most impossible of places? The blxxdy accumulator is underneath the 92 L fuel cell and almost impossible to get to

Harry
Old 11-26-2006, 08:00 AM
Monique
Addict
Rennlist Member

New DIYer on Porsches as well. Did lots on others...Thank goodness it is simple engineering.

I use six point sockets as much as possible and the torque wrench is never far.

It gives me a great feeling of accomplishment. You will enjoy it too...
Old 11-26-2006, 08:10 AM
RS man
Rennlist Member

Oil change went fine but this brake bleeding is not so easy with this accumulator tucked away.

Harry
Old 11-26-2006, 09:40 AM
RS man
Rennlist Member

Monique, do you know if I can use the brake pedal pumping method for our cars without opening the bleeder valve in the accumulator? My car had brake fluid changes at Stadler Motorsport and the bleeding valve on the accumulator has no mark on it so I wondered if they used the brake pedal method without opening the accumulator valve.

Harry
Old 11-26-2006, 12:20 PM
Monique
Addict
Rennlist Member

Never tried your suggestion. I did it as per the Repair Manual.

good luck.
Old 11-26-2006, 03:57 PM
RS man
Rennlist Member

How did you manage to get at the hex screw?

Harry
Old 11-27-2006, 07:11 AM
Monique
Addict
Rennlist Member

Adrian just posted this on the 964 forum. I looked at all diagrams and think our system is identical to the 964. Here is what he said

You do not mention if they bled the hydraulic accumulator and brake booster. The hydraulic pump has nothing to do with the master cylinder. There is no direct pressure/fluid link between the MC and the brake booster.
The hydraulic pump pressurises the accumulator which in turn provides pressurised fluid to the brake booster onto which the MC is mounted. There is a mechanical link between the booster and the MC to provide the power assist.
Using the hydraulic pump refills the accumulator, fills the brake booster and raises the pedal, but does not remove the air.
If the boost cct is not bled properly the pedal will be low and feel soft and using the pump only provides a temporary fix.
A lot of people believe that if you bleed the PDAS cct you also bleed the accumulator/ brake booster cct, this is not true. There is a bleed nipple on the accumulator.
My first recommendation would be to ensure the accumulator and brake booster are bled again and all air removed. You must ensure the fluid level is maintained throughout the process otherwise you are wasting your time. You must ensure that the far right chamber on the brake fluid reservoir remains full at all times during this process. If the fluid is sucked down and it's emptied, air follows really quickly. The accumulator holds around 300cc of fluid.
Ciao,
Adrian.

I will try to get to the car today and review how I proceeded... Meanwhile, I have to babysit my new house terrorist... Shown here in my wife's lap... she is a darling in the pic!
Attached Images  

Quick Reply: How much brake fluid is required to bleed brakes and clutch slave cylinder?