Sponsored by:

Help opening cab top and rant

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2006, 06:49 PM
Topless in Temecula
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Help opening cab top and rant

Since no one answred my earlier post re a cable problem, can someone clarify how to open the top when the top motor spins but does not release (yes, I searched and read the manual). I tried a screwdriver into slot on the top (inside car at top of windshield) but it doesn't seem to be connecting with anything that releases the top. Also, once opened this way, what are the cahnces of closing it again? My top motors worked fine until I had the recall done - dealer has replaced one already and looks like I'll be trying to get a second one does as a "courtesy" as its been 16 months since recall work done. Dealer only warrants work for 12 months unless I paid for the service then its 24 months. Makes absolutely no sense - do they use cheap parts and poor labor on warranty work and save the "good" stuff until the owner is using his/her own cash? Thanks for the help.

Peter
Old 11-21-2006, 07:12 PM
chet
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I tried once to latch the top by sticking a screwdriver into the hole, but couldn't get it done. You can however remove the trim piece fairly easily at which time you can actually see what you are doing. I don't remember what your cable question was. The front latches run off motors inside that front top trim piece. The drive cables raise and lower the top and run off of motors behind the back seat.
Old 11-21-2006, 07:34 PM
Tom W
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Getting the screwdriver to work is a royal pain. I was able to get the top to release or latch using the regular driver "bit" from the tool kit chucked into a cordless drill. It is very difficult to get the bit into the slot in the bolt (and keep it there for the hundreds of revolutions required to actually release the damn top).

I think the info on p-car.com is pretty helpful. The factory manuals are not.

Quick Reply: Help opening cab top and rant