Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is there a problem With Low Miles 993s?

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2006, 06:37 PM
jef3380
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is there a problem With Low Miles 993s?

New to 993s and learning from this great Forum. Is there a problem in purchasing a 993 with low miles, say 3,500. to 10,000., that would cause expensive repairs after the car was purchased and then driven about 2,000 miles per year?
Old 11-17-2006, 06:51 PM
Randy 1
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jef3380
New to 993s and learning from this great Forum. Is there a problem in purchasing a 993 with low miles, say 3,500. to 10,000., that would cause expensive repairs after the car was purchased and then driven about 2,000 miles per year?
I have just such a car, and the major issues are all due to lack of use: seals drying, tires losing moisture, etc. I'm on the hook for rubber at all corners, and a suspension replacement, as the rear shocks are shot. Little things like dead batteries, leaking hydraulic cylinders for the boot lid, etc. also come with the territory.
Old 11-17-2006, 08:51 PM
C.J. Ichiban
Platinum Dealership
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 2,062 Likes on 581 Posts

more problems with the turbo still: you have almost twice the cost with problems because of all the oiling and cooling issues for the turbos if those seal leak
Old 11-17-2006, 09:08 PM
95 C4 993
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Randy 1
I have just such a car, and the major issues are all due to lack of use: seals drying, tires losing moisture, etc. I'm on the hook for rubber at all corners, and a suspension replacement, as the rear shocks are shot. Little things like dead batteries, leaking hydraulic cylinders for the boot lid, etc. also come with the territory.
My C4 developed front and rear seal leaks and it most likely was because it sat for long periods of time with the previous owner. Nothing major (as for the seals) but $5k later I had my seals fixed, LWF and clutch, Fabspeed airbox, and a fresh oil change.
Old 11-18-2006, 03:50 AM
The Brewmeister
Rennlist Member

Received 38 Likes on 33 Posts

All issues mentioned up to this point are all relevant. But you never really know
what will be a problem until the car becomes active again. Alot depends on
how the car was stored, temperature, sun exposure, maintenance, etc.
Old 11-18-2006, 04:26 AM
geolab
Rennlist Member

Received 182 Likes on 125 Posts

problem? they're expensive
Old 11-18-2006, 11:27 PM
TMc993
Rennlist Member

Received 551 Likes on 347 Posts

The key is not so much how many miles per year a car is driven as it is how often it is driven and how it is stored. A car driven 50 miles every other weekend (1300 miles.year) will be much less likely to have the problems described above than a car driven 500 miles each month of May, June, July and August (2000 miles/year) and stored without being run for the remainder of the year.

Even then, one should never be surprised when a ten year old car develops any kind of problem...It just comes with the territory (And it's great territory to be in!)
Old 11-19-2006, 12:41 AM
Mike in Chi

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 176 Likes on 112 Posts

Not if they're exercised regularly. And you don't have to run a marthon to give one a workout.

Get the oil up to temp and run them hard for a bit. I have two low mileage ones and both are in wonderful condition w/o leaks any significant leaks.

(Only prob -- Hood shocks were replaced on one, and the other is starting to go. that's not from lack of use, just the cheap OE ones.)

A PPI by a knowledgable tech will tell.
Old 11-19-2006, 12:53 AM
texas911
Race Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The main problem is they cost more.
Old 11-19-2006, 12:32 PM
amfp
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by TMc993
The key is not so much how many miles per year a car is driven as it is how often it is driven and how it is stored. A car driven 50 miles every other weekend (1300 miles.year) will be much less likely to have the problems described above than a car driven 500 miles each month of May, June, July and August (2000 miles/year) and stored without being run for the remainder of the year.

Even then, one should never be surprised when a ten year old car develops any kind of problem...It just comes with the territory (And it's great territory to be in!)
I agree. Also how often serviced. Such as near yearly oil/filter, brake/slave cylinder flushes, where, how car was stored, and driven. That said, would buy directly from owner, not dealer who is not sure about history.
Old 11-22-2006, 03:26 AM
Porscheologist
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My local wrench says that almost all of the garage queens have issues. Most have been mentioned and are more annoyance than deady. These cars do however tend to develop more serious issues when they reach the 30-35k mark such as premature valve guide wear, collapesed lifter adjusters and coaking that leads to CEL. These cars were meant to be driven. According to the experts (like Bruce Anderson) a healthy 993 should see 5-8k a year in "average driving". If you are interested in a car with miles this low then you must be a collector and do not intend on driving the car in which case this may not matter to you. If you do intend on driving it the way it was intended then be sure to get a very thorough PPI from the best shop in your area.
Old 11-22-2006, 09:33 AM
Mike in Chi

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 176 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by Porscheologist
My local wrench says that almost all of the garage queens have issues. Most have been mentioned and are more annoyance than deady. These cars do however tend to develop more serious issues when they reach the 30-35k mark such as premature valve guide wear, collapesed lifter adjusters and coaking that leads to CEL. These cars were meant to be driven. According to the experts (like Bruce Anderson) a healthy 993 should see 5-8k a year in "average driving". If you are interested in a car with miles this low then you must be a collector and do not intend on driving the car in which case this may not matter to you. If you do intend on driving it the way it was intended then be sure to get a very thorough PPI from the best shop in your area.

I'll have to send him my local wrenches phone number.

Again, not if they are exercised properly.

Quick Reply: Is there a problem With Low Miles 993s?