Sponsored by:

Wiper Motor replacement - help

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2006, 09:29 AM
Itsallgood
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wiper Motor replacement - help

Just bought my first 993 (95 cab.) and I need to replace the Wiper Motor (partially stripped transmission gear I am guessing). The dealer has this listed as a 4.5 hour job. I know it is going to be a knuckle breaker (small space to work). Do any of you happen to have the the actual repair/replacement procedure from Porsche? I have not been able to buy the repair manual set yet. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Jim
Old 11-08-2006, 09:34 AM
Itsallgood
Track Day

Default Front Wipers - Addition to this Post

Sorry, my post is seeking assistance for the main front wipers.
Jim
Old 11-09-2006, 11:33 AM
Itsallgood
Track Day

Default Got it thanks!

OK, found a manual and got the procedure which is a tough one for sure. Likely have my mechanic do this job as it involves breaking the A/C lines, removing the steering wheel, and dismantling the dash. Arrg!
Old 11-09-2006, 11:54 AM
BS911
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 6 Posts

Having done the wiper reverse, I can't imagine how the wiper motor would actually come out. Good luck to you.

Also, if you need more factory manual stuff on the cheap, try out www.alldatadiy.com. You basically subscribe to the manuals for a year. Very handy stuff.
Old 11-10-2006, 11:28 AM
Itsallgood
Track Day

Default Wiper reverse

Any problems with the operation of the wipers after you did the reverse change? Since I'll be deeply under the hood and into the dash it would be a no brainer to flip the arm. Isn't that essentially what you did? Take the nut off of the gear motor output shaft and rotate the output arm 180 degrees?
Jim
Old 11-10-2006, 11:51 AM
InTheAir
Nordschleife Master

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Itsallgood
Any problems with the operation of the wipers after you did the reverse change? Since I'll be deeply under the hood and into the dash it would be a no brainer to flip the arm. Isn't that essentially what you did? Take the nut off of the gear motor output shaft and rotate the output arm 180 degrees?
Jim
Jim, that's the poorman's way of doing it (which, is the way I did it, so no comments ). However, it requires you to remove the relay so you lose intermittent operation--you need to do this in order to park the blades on the passenger side, otherwise the relay will automatically return them to the driver's side.

The DIY procedure requires you to get into the linkages and reverse them, however you get to keep the intermittent operation and the relay in play this way. The DIY is here: http://p-car.com/diy/wiper/

As I said above, I took the easy route of just flipping the wipers:

Old 11-10-2006, 12:09 PM
BS911
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 6 Posts

I did the DIY method to keep intermittent and everything. And yes, if you are in there, then it is as (theoretically) simple as that. Do make sure though that your fully test and tweak it to make sure your lined up on the right stop so a single motion doesn't start with a tiny down then up movement.
Old 11-10-2006, 12:46 PM
Arena993
Race Car

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by InTheAir
Jim, that's the poorman's way of doing it (which, is the way I did it, so no comments ).
No comments from me

Quick Reply: Wiper Motor replacement - help