Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Do you get "profiled" when in your Porsche?

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2006, 01:06 PM
Chuck A.
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Do you get "profiled" when in your Porsche?

When going home after work on Halloween, there was a detour that sent all traffic through a residential neighborhood.

There must have been about 15-20 cars ahead of me and probably many more behind me.

Everyone was going bout 15 MPH because all the kids were out "trick or treating". As I passed one house, some guy comes running up to the edge of his lawn and yells at me "SLOW DOWN".

Since I can't go any faster than all the cars ahead of me, I just look at the guy like he's nuts.

This isn't the first time this has happened to me. It also seems to happen in parking lots as well.

Am I the only one or does this happen to you as well?
Old 11-07-2006, 01:10 PM
RallyJon
Weathergirl
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Only among the dull-witted and underachievers with a 1980s outlook on social status.

Most people "profile" lowered Hondas and compact pickup trucks with huge subwoofers nowadays. Far more likely to cause mayhem than a dude in a Porsche.
Old 11-07-2006, 01:12 PM
fast_freddy
Rennlist Member

Received 791 Likes on 426 Posts

I get pulled over all the time by local cops telling me "you look like you were going pretty fast" . To which I tell them "funny I had the cruise control set at 2mph below the limit which I "calibrate" every time I go past a "speed reader" and its dead on accurate every time" They check out my license and registration then tell me to be careful. Same cop in my town has pulled me over no less than 4 times on the same road. I had a chat with his chief and the problem stopped. The threat of a harrassment and "profiling" lawsuit scared him in a hurry.
Old 11-07-2006, 01:13 PM
Pedro356C
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Chuck A.
Everyone was going bout 15 MPH because all the kids were out "trick or treating". As I passed one house, some guy comes running up to the edge of his lawn and yells at me "SLOW DOWN".

Of course...he wanted to check your car out...gorgeous color!!
Old 11-07-2006, 01:43 PM
Thaddeus
Deer Slayer
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Cops run my license numbers as I'm driving a lot. I usually slow down so they can more easily read my plates.
Old 11-07-2006, 02:16 PM
ZombiePorsche44
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Never happens here in San Diego but that's probably because we have a very high concentration of Porsches.

I have had people tell me to slow down on residential streets even when I'm going the 25mph speed limit. That will never happen in a Hyundai.......LOL

God I love these cars!................ZP44
Old 11-07-2006, 02:25 PM
creator8
Instructor

Its your wing. I had the same problem in my Subaru STI for some reason. Doesn't happen in my Porsche.
Old 11-07-2006, 02:59 PM
EndlessEarth
Instructor

I see people's mouths moving, but i never hear anything. Must be the doppler effect.
Old 11-07-2006, 03:08 PM
ceboyd
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

I used to think I didn't BUT...

I was taking a guy for a test drive.. and got pulled over (my first time getting pulled over the entire time I've owned my 993 btw)

...and got a ticket for NO FRONT PLATE... (I wasn't speeding)

so much for never getting pulled over

BTW: An audi was behind me without a front plate and was ignored (black audi).. and I see probably 1 out of 10 cars minimum without a front plate....
Old 11-07-2006, 03:12 PM
User 4221
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 47 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by Chuck A.
When going home after work on Halloween, there was a detour that sent all traffic through a residential neighborhood.

There must have been about 15-20 cars ahead of me and probably many more behind me.

Since I can't go any faster than all the cars ahead of me, I just look at the guy like he's nuts.

This isn't the first time this has happened to me. It also seems to happen in parking lots as well.

Am I the only one or does this happen to you as well?

That happened in my Cayenne last week. I was 5MPH under the posted limit and a guy came running to the curb waving his hands motioning to slow down.
Pfft..
Old 11-07-2006, 03:30 PM
RallyJon
Weathergirl
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

That happened to me in the STI. I'm driving at the 25mph speed limit through a very nice, quiet neighborhood and this older women walking her dog half in the lane of traffic glares at me and makes the up and down hand motion to slow down.

So I stopped next to her and asked her what was wrong. She recoils in horror and holds the dog leash in front of her as if siccing the dog on me. I laughed and drive away. Now every time I see her I wave and smile. She's probably posting on the driedupoldbroads.com forum about how she was terrorized by a punk in a black car who was driving 100 through her neighborhood.
Old 11-07-2006, 03:50 PM
geolab
Rennlist Member

Received 182 Likes on 125 Posts

Originally Posted by fast_freddy
I get pulled over all the time by local cops telling me "you look like you were going pretty fast"
It seems its an international pavlov effect
Old 11-07-2006, 05:26 PM
C4S_fan
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts

This has happened to me as well.

I think it has to do with the look of the car (it looks fast) and the noise it produces.

I stopped once and explained (politely) to the woman that noise is not a good indicator of speed. That in fact, I was going 10mph and not the legal 25mph I could have been.

The irrationality continued, so I smiled and drove away.
Old 11-07-2006, 05:32 PM
AndrewM
Pro

Happened to me the other day, not the first time BTW. I actually stopped the car, backed up, and politely but firmly told the man that by no means would I ever speed down a residential street, since I know first hand what a moving car can do to a human body. He saw my hospital scrubs and the extremely tired and pissed off look I had on my face, and actually apologized.
Drew
97 C4S
86 930
89 C4 (missed)
Old 11-07-2006, 05:58 PM
Paddy
Rennlist Member

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts

It seems every time I wear a baseball cap I would have a cop get in behind me and run my plates. I'm under 30 and probably look like I'm 22 with a ball cap on. Yea, I have a guards red 993 w/ a RS wing and a tri-flow exhaust. I don't wear a ball cap while driving anymore...

Quick Reply: Do you get "profiled" when in your Porsche?