Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wife requested "Porsche Buying Guide". How to handle this?

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2006, 07:25 PM
J4yDubs
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for all the great replies, links and PM's!

I'll try to introduce her to Rennlist, but I don't she'll post here. She knows I read the 993 board (yeah, there's a lurker among you! ) and that would spoil any surprise, if that's what she's planning. If, by chance, someone joins up and asks about buying a Porsche for someone else...be gentle.

I'm not sure she'll ever become a Porsche fanatic, but she will want to drive it for sure. She's already said she thinks she'll be better with the manual than me. It's been a long time for both of us. She's probably right.

I agree with those that say the hunt is part of the fun. I've been on the hunt for a while now. Just shooting with blanks right now. Still searching and tracking though.

As for being fortunate to have her, there was no doubt about that, even before this inquiry. Jewelry...Check...Anniversary was last month and nice jewelry was included in the gift. Christmas is next. Is this considered manipulation or extortion? I'm OK with that, just wondering.

John
Old 11-07-2006, 07:47 PM
pcar964
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Great wife - just don't let her choose the car, that's an important part of ownership... and it can be a very arduous process to find the right car.
Old 11-07-2006, 10:38 PM
jimbo3
Rennlist Member

Received 694 Likes on 416 Posts

The recent "Excellence" has a great buying guide article on 993's.
Old 11-07-2006, 11:37 PM
BrokenE
Instructor

Someone already mentioned the november issue of excellence...this is 993 specific, but in my search for a 911, I also bought Bruce Anderson's "Porsche 911 Performance Handbook". Chapter 1 give's a brief history and major changes for each model year starting with the early 60's and up to 96. Chapter 2 is actually a buyer's guide. Also, "Porsche 911 Red Book 1962-1999" by Patrick C. Paternie is a small paper back that contains most, if not all, the options codes for each model year. This might be useful to have for when you're out tire kicking and you want to look up the codes right there.

Good luck
Old 11-07-2006, 11:57 PM
mglobe
The Penguin King
Rennlist Member

Received 118 Likes on 84 Posts

Wow, a wife that wants to surprise you with a Porsche!

Still the hunt is definitely part of the fun, so convince her that it would be a great thing to do together. Not something you want to do, something you want to do with her. Then get her something with gold and diamonds before you get the car. Everyone will be happy!
Old 11-08-2006, 12:17 AM
MarkD
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by J4yDubs
Christmas is next. Is this considered manipulation or extortion? I'm OK with that, just wondering.

John
I'd call it reciprocation

I have a feeling your wife will love the car too. Based on the tone of your posts and what little you have shared about her, it sure seems like she is the type that will get "into it" too...
Mine did... she has a similar attitude. It's a family affair for some!

Good luck man! Keep us posted please.
Old 11-08-2006, 12:34 AM
roebedo
Instructor

Make sure you have a hand in it.. or you may end up with this..
Attached Images  
Old 11-08-2006, 12:55 AM
95 C4 993
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Just pull up in the driveway with a Porsche some day. My buyers guide was " I want a sports car thats in good shape and fun to drive". Its 3.5 years later and I still feel the same way. Im not married but even if I were, I would probably just buy it anyway. "Honey, Im buying a Porsche." and thats what it would be.
Old 11-08-2006, 01:54 PM
J4yDubs
Instructor

Originally Posted by jimbo3
The recent "Excellence" has a great buying guide article on 993's.
I have that issue. Great 993 article, I agree. The what to look out for section is a little scary, but I saw the thread on about it on here and reconciled it with that thread.

John
Old 11-08-2006, 02:01 PM
J4yDubs
Instructor

Originally Posted by MarkD
I have a feeling your wife will love the car too. Based on the tone of your posts and what little you have shared about her, it sure seems like she is the type that will get "into it" too...
Mine did... she has a similar attitude. It's a family affair for some!

Good luck man! Keep us posted please.
I do think she'll really like the car. She probably won't care so much about the history of it, but will enjoy the results of that history.

I don't really expect anything to come of this too soon (I'd love to be wrong). But when I get one, however I get it, you guy will be the first to know.

Make sure you have a hand in it.. or you may end up with this..
Woah! Wing doors?! What option code is that?

Im not married but even if I were, I would probably just buy it anyway. "Honey, Im buying a Porsche." and thats what it would be.
For some reason, I can believe the first part of that sentence.

John
Old 11-08-2006, 02:09 PM
Peter R.
Pro

I'm funny like that, but it's been the same with most of the cars I've owned. I read the mags, the books, browse the papers and the web. then I softly sneak around going looking for a car, inspect all the known niggles and stuff, do a lot of hmmíng and ah'rring, only to catch a glimpse of one somewhere, yell YES !, throw all caution to the wind and buy it.

No matter how many requirement lists and do's and don'ts I write down, when I see the right car I know instantly, regardless of all the plans I've made.

Weird dude, me.

Peter R.
Old 11-09-2006, 10:18 PM
red_wagen
Instructor

Just refine the list, give it to her and sit back and relax. Although as others have pointed out, you may want to have a little hand in this just so there's no remorse later on. to your wife though. My wife wants to get me a 993 as well but it will be after she's done with nursing school
Old 11-10-2006, 12:03 AM
gordo993
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I agree with the others - tell her that this needs to be a "we" deal, not a "her" deal.

I tried to get my wife involved when I purchased Trixie, but I got the "whatever" treatment. She's a little more into the whole Porsche Experience now, but there are several other things she'd rather do than ride around in the car.

I'm confident you will love your 993 when you get it, but I'd avoid shopping until you are ready to buy - it really sucks to find a great car that's everything you want and you're not in a position to take it home.

Quick Reply: Wife requested "Porsche Buying Guide". How to handle this?