Dipping my toes...Test Drive?

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2006, 05:14 PM
rstagg
Race Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Dipping my toes...Test Drive?

Hi All -

Long time Rennlist-reader, first time 993 forum poster. 'Can't wait to join the ranks of what seems to be an amazing, tight-knit community. (Okay, in reality, I just really can't wait to have a 993. )

Although I've been a voracious Rennlist/various 911 mag/Streather reader, the consensus seems to be that test driving multiple cars is a good way to establish a basis for comparison, which makes obvious sense.

But I have a Silly Noob Question, coming from someone who's not bought a lot of used cars: How do you go about this in a way respectful to the seller? I mean - if you don't intend to buy the first car you test drive, aren't you really using the seller for less than noble purposes? What's the right way to approach this? Ideally I'd love to buy a car from a fellow Rennlist member, but some prior seat time would be nice.

On a related note, if anyone in the Cincinnati area lets me ride shotgun for a spin, a cold six-pack is on me.
Old 11-06-2006, 05:19 PM
Arena993
Race Car

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

What kind of 993 are you looking for (model type) cab, coupe, C2S, C4S, Turbo or Targa?
Old 11-06-2006, 05:33 PM
Greg Fishman
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts

Ryan,
I would look for a dealer that might have one on their lot. Also I am sure someone on the board in Cincy would be glad to give you a test drive/ride.

If you are every in Lexington feel free to email me and I will gladly give you a ride/drive.
Greg
Old 11-06-2006, 06:19 PM
brucec59
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I had the same concern when I was in your spot. I used dealers as much as I could. They show cars to a lot of people before someone bites. The way I see it, that's what they do all day - they're not taking time away from work or familly to let me drive their car. In fact, I never did test drive a private party 993 that I did not intend to purchase.
Old 11-06-2006, 07:58 PM
creator8
Instructor

How do you know you won't want to buy the first one you drive?????
Old 11-06-2006, 08:01 PM
InTheAir
Nordschleife Master

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by creator8
Excellent point.

It's hard to just dip the toes.

The water's fine. Jump in!
Old 11-06-2006, 08:32 PM
chris walrod
Guru
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 101 Likes on 52 Posts

Welcome to Rennlist! Drive all you can in your area, I always prescribe this. You'll quickly get to know how these cars drive and be able to ID the bad ones, as well as the good ones.

Not related, but do you do FEA?
Old 11-06-2006, 08:36 PM
Robert Henriksen
Addict
Rennlist Member

Hi Ryan, welcome. I'm torn between encouraging you to take Greg up on his offer, and trying to discourage you from same. It's a very well-sorted car, and will probably make you discouraged as you test drove all sorts of other, poorer examples out there.

A word to the wise - the difference in feel between a stock 993 with worn-out shocks and a lowered, properly aligned car with *good* shocks is HUGE.
Old 11-06-2006, 09:00 PM
Phil
Phlat Black Guru
Rennlist
Lifetime Member
- Times 2

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Robert Henriksen
Hi Ryan, welcome. I'm torn between encouraging you to take Greg up on his offer, and trying to discourage you from same. It's a very well-sorted car, and will probably make you discouraged as you test drove all sorts of other, poorer examples out there.

A word to the wise - the difference in feel between a stock 993 with worn-out shocks and a lowered, properly aligned car with *good* shocks is HUGE.
Good point as always........but driving Greg's car would ruin all the others. Gearbox!!!
Old 11-06-2006, 09:11 PM
rstagg
Race Car

Thanks, all, for the helpful replies. Some answers to direct questions below -

What kind of 993 are you looking for (model type) cab, coupe, C2S, C4S, Turbo or Targa?
Arena993 - Either a C2 coupe, Targa or Cab. I'm keeping my options pretty open; leaning towards a Targa or Cab because it would help keep SWMBO emotionally involved - she still suffers over our dearly departed Miatas, so open-top makes her happy. Staying away from WB/Turbos/higher demand models just so I have enough cash to afford the oft-mentioned slippery slope. I'd prefer a carefully-loved basic model to an iffy C4S. This will be a third car, not a daily driver (but no garage queen!). I look forward to some serious wrench time, but I admit to being fairly inexperienced in hands-on auto repair.

feel free to email me and I will gladly give you a ride/drive.
Greg - thanks for the kind offer. We have relatives near there, I might take you up on that sometime soon. Unfortunately, it seems like the local exotic dealers don't often deal in 993's, but I'll keep my eye out for test drive opportunities there. I agree with Bruce that I don't want to waste anyone's time in the private market if I'm not serious.
Creator - I'm terrified of this! I guess I'd like some baseline to compare. 'Just the control-freak engineer part of me. I suppose ignorance is bliss, tho'. I'll be doing the PDE in the spring (5 year anniversary gift from too-awesome SWMBO), but obviously the 997 will differ greatly from any 993's I drive.

Not related, but do you do FEA?
Chris - Yeah, I'm a developer for the Unigraphics and I-deas simulation products. Any ZF parts you see on your car were probably fatigue-analyzed with our package.
Old 11-06-2006, 09:14 PM
nota_troll
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Ryan. Best of luck. Been there done that...twice. Kudos to you for becoming a member before ownership.
Old 11-06-2006, 10:11 PM
Hound Dog
Instructor

I take it she's a wife, but what's a SWMBO? Sorry for the stupid question.
Old 11-06-2006, 10:24 PM
Robert Henriksen
Addict
Rennlist Member

Single White Male w. Body Odor?
Old 11-07-2006, 12:00 AM
rstagg
Race Car

Ah, sorry - artifact of the woodworking forums - "She Who Must Be Obeyed".
Old 11-07-2006, 02:09 AM
chris walrod
Guru
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 101 Likes on 52 Posts

Ryan, cool deal -- we use SDRC Ideas at work as well. Old systems, but powerful nonetheless

Quick Reply: Dipping my toes...Test Drive?