Sponsored by:

Dipping my toes...Test Drive?

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2006, 10:01 AM
Arena993
Race Car

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Ryan:

Check your PM. I know of a car for sale here in Louisville that may fit your needs. I have a friend selling one.
Old 11-07-2006, 11:03 AM
rstagg
Race Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by chris walrod
Ryan, cool deal -- we use SDRC Ideas at work as well. Old systems, but powerful nonetheless
Yeah, I-deas has been on its way out since we (SDRC) were combined with UGS. The Unigraphics CAD and CAM products really are state-of-the-art -- there's no one else in those markets other than Catia. And it's running beautifully on Win64, which it looks like the whole market is moving to.

The UGS simulation product has come along nicely - I challenge anyone to find a better general tet-mesher. And the assembly-FEM functionality we're developing..well, I'll just say that no one else will be able to touch it.

So what kind of work are you doing, Chris? Design? Analysis? (I see an intriguing assembly in your avatar - racing coilover?) Sorry for the OT, but it's always fun to talk to a user.
Old 11-07-2006, 11:08 AM
Greg Fishman
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by rstagg

Greg - thanks for the kind offer. We have relatives near there, I might take you up on that sometime soon. Unfortunately, it seems like the local exotic dealers don't often deal in 993's, but I'll keep my eye out for test drive opportunities there. I agree with Bruce that I don't want to waste anyone's time in the private market if I'm not serious.
Just let me know. Just be warned that once you ride/drive in a 993 you will want one. Nothing compares in the price range.

Personally I would get a C2 or a Cab. I am not much of a fan of the Targas. And if you get a C2 you can do DE events without any extra safety equipment.
Old 11-07-2006, 11:35 AM
Slow Guy
Race Director

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Arena993 - Either a C2 coupe, Targa or Cab. I'm keeping my options pretty open; leaning towards a Targa or Cab because it would help keep SWMBO emotionally involved - she still suffers over our dearly departed Miatas, so open-top makes her happy.
I understand this completely, I bought my first Porsche ('88 911 Cab) for the same reason. My wife wanted a Volvo C70 Convertable and I didn't. Then I figured out that getting the Porsche Cab. would satisfy both of us, worked out great. As much as I liked the '88 911 she loves the "upgraded" feel of the 993, and I do too, just wish I had the garage space for both.

I was never interested in the '87 - '89 Targas but I really wish I had looked closer at the 993 Targas. I like the topless ability of the cab but don't like the time and hassle of putting down/up the cab top and taking on/off the boot cover (which you really should use). It will also be a good size expense when the top needs replacing in a year or so (I could use those funds for new wheels). I know Targas aren't immune to problems but.... I know there are far fewer Targas than Cabs but if you run across a nice Targa seriously consider it.

Staying away from WB/Turbos/higher demand models just so I have enough cash to afford the oft-mentioned slippery slope. I'd prefer a carefully-loved basic model to an iffy C4S. This will be a third car, not a daily driver (but no garage queen!). I look forward to some serious wrench time, but I admit to being fairly inexperienced in hands-on auto repair.
Smart thinking, the less you spend up front the more you'll have for enhancements (as much as I'd love a C2S or TT).

Don't forget, there are many here that would like nothing better than to go eyeball a car for a RL'er, if they're too far away to look at it themself.

Best of luck.
Old 11-07-2006, 03:14 PM
creator8
Instructor

I just got into a 993 with my 98 Targa and have to say its the best car I've ever owned, and I've owned a 996, three early longhood cars, and whole bunch of other nice cars. I was warned away from the Targa by a few people for a whole host of reasons including that they rattle and when they break are expensive to fix. Mine doesn't rattle, even on Hollywood's finest (read worst) streets. And it hasn't broken yet. Since mine's a 98, I'm hoping it has a little fine tuning applied to it from the first ones.

Personally I think the Targa is the best looking of the 993s--the slimmer roofline of the Targa top makes the 993 hips looks a little wider w/o the exageration of the S cars. Plus that glass roof is so cool and futuristic. And there were only 122 sold in 98 which I dig. I'm not a big convertible fan but, for example last night, it was 75 degrees and rolling the top back for the drive home was just wicked. So check out the Targa for sure.
Old 11-07-2006, 04:29 PM
ceboyd
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by Greg Fishman
Just let me know. Just be warned that once you ride/drive in a 993 you will want one. Nothing compares in the price range.

Personally I would get a C2 or a Cab. I am not much of a fan of the Targas. And if you get a C2 you can do DE events without any extra safety equipment.

yup yup.. I refused to drive a 993 until the day I could drive one home... I've never been disappointed..

..and yes, I started out going to Autocross and DEs with my car 100% stock.. but that didn't last long...

Old 11-07-2006, 04:41 PM
rstagg
Race Car

Originally Posted by creator8
So check out the Targa for sure.
Yup, I plan to - I've been smitten with the Targa since I started checking out 993's. The 'creaks and pops' things doesn't scare me; hey, it's a 10+ year old car. That's just character where I come from. But I am a little leery of it because there were so few made, the pool of available sound cars will probably be pretty small.

But there's something about it - open-air motoring, retaining that classic 911 roofline...

Quick Reply: Dipping my toes...Test Drive?