Sponsored by:

Electrical problem - engine computer relay/fuse box short and burnout

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2022, 09:43 PM
mike cap
Rennlist Member

Received 340 Likes on 238 Posts

Originally Posted by BigSurBob
I had this issue today on my 96 4s, but noticed someone installed a made in China relay (I just purchased this car, was one of Rudy’s, a reseller bought it at auction in Amelia & I picked it up from them a month later, they claim to have changed a window switch once I pressed why they took 12 days to release the car to me). Installed the correct part but the damage was done. even though car is running fine I’m changing the box or at the least taking it apart today as there was

melted plastic on the box. Bummer… but at least the car was in my garage so out of pocket was light. Also this part has gone up to around $75 for same day local purchase in LA.
Replace with a solid state Focus 9 Technology relay instead.
Old 05-05-2022, 01:40 PM
Matthew So
Advanced

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

The solid state one does not need replacement (at least longer time as compare to standard DME replay)? Any other advantage other than less maintenance? Thanks!
Edit: I checked the forum and now understand more about reliability issue with mechanical reply that we have on OEM 933 relay. I have check out the F9 solid state relay and wonder if the 'pump-prime' feature is really needed. Thanks!

Regards,
Matthew

Last edited by Matthew So; 05-05-2022 at 01:47 PM.
The following users liked this post:
BigSurBob (05-05-2022)
Old 05-05-2022, 02:01 PM
mike cap
Rennlist Member

Received 340 Likes on 238 Posts

Fuel pump prime feature is not needed per previous threads here at RL. I don’t have that feature on mine.
Old 05-05-2022, 10:31 PM
IainM
Drifting

Received 305 Likes on 235 Posts

Originally Posted by BigSurBob

There must be some corrosion or a dry joint to create the resistance necessary to generate that much heat. The usual failure mode is a cracked joint through stress of pulling and replugging the relay. My guess this is a cheap relay with a cold solder joint aggravated by the lead-free manufacturing now. You need trained operators to solder lead free properly.
BTW, solid state relays are not immune to these problems either.
Old 05-06-2022, 10:54 AM
jay@EZimmoblock.com
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 409 Likes on 232 Posts

^^^ Agree. Resistance = heat. Probably internal to the relay, but definitely open up the box and inspect the mating terminal and wire.
Old 05-06-2022, 12:19 PM
BigSurBob
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by IainM
There must be some corrosion or a dry joint to create the resistance necessary to generate that much heat. The usual failure mode is a cracked joint through stress of pulling and replugging the relay. My guess this is a cheap relay with a cold solder joint aggravated by the lead-free manufacturing now. You need trained operators to solder lead free properly.
BTW, solid state relays are not immune to these problems either.
You're 100% rt, had corrosion. Replacing the box not necessary, outside of the cosmetic damage it seems fine. Nonetheless the corrosion was heavy but damage seems to be focused on the relay.
Old 05-06-2022, 12:28 PM
jay@EZimmoblock.com
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 409 Likes on 232 Posts

Good news! What exactly was corroded?
BTW, that terminal is the one that powers the fuel pump. With the kind of resistance necessary to create that damage, did you experience any driveability issues?
Old 05-06-2022, 12:34 PM
BigSurBob
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default corrosion on electrical connectors

It looks like it was corrosion on electrical connectors. Not sure if caused by moisture or movement on the terminal like one suggested.
Attached Images  
Old 05-06-2022, 09:55 PM
IainM
Drifting

Received 305 Likes on 235 Posts

Wow, didn’t expect that. That is some kind of fluid intrusion and very uncommon, like someone spilt some soda or beer while swapping the relay. The fuse box is essentially double protected from the elements.
the heat will conduct up the spade terminals quite well so can understand the melted plastic on the relay.

Quick Reply: Electrical problem - engine computer relay/fuse box short and burnout