Old 11-03-2006, 09:10 PM
gonzilla
Rennlist Member

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by canysmc
993 Technical
Porsche Plastic Body Repair
Page 163
Excellence, December 2004, Ross Periodicals, Inc.

Note: Since this is a public forum, I perfer not to scan, post and violate publisher's Copyright.
Can you give us the gist of it? Is it worth tracking this issue down?
Old 11-04-2006, 10:07 AM
IamSMC
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by gonzilla
Can you give us the gist of it? Is it worth tracking this issue down?
Article goes into details about repairing a warpped rear whale tail grill. The car in the article was a 993tt.
Old 11-04-2006, 04:39 PM
gonzilla
Rennlist Member

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by canysmc
Article goes into details about repairing a warpped rear whale tail grill. The car in the article was a 993tt.
Thanks.

I tracked the issue down and I'll elaborate a little further...

It does indeed talk about repairing the warped grill on a TT tail. They basically epoxy a 1/4" aluminum bar to the grill to try and straighten the thing out. They hold it in place with vice grips while it cures. They also ended up drilling extra holes at the upper left and right corners of the tail and then cemented holding pins onto the grill (this is the part that I wouldn't do).

I'm not quite sure if this method would work on the stock NA grill. I believe there's normally a slight bow to it (which a flat piece of aluminum wouldn't help with) and it's not just the grill insert that has warped on mine. It's the whole retractable spoiler. Anyway, I just noticed this on mine a couple of weeks ago (actually I didn't, Tony Callas did), so any more ideas would be more than welcomed.
Old 11-05-2006, 05:41 AM
pezza
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm still thinking that it has something to do with the adjustment on the lifter mechanism, as I have only had the spoiler on a couple of months, my car is always parked outside as I'm not lucky enough to have a garage, but hey at least I have a 993! I understand the heat theory though and it does make sense but due to the time it's been on the car have ruled it out.

It seems strange that it doesn't effect all cars, seems only a few so that points that it's not a common problem. If I can slightly adjust the top set of arms out, and I've checked there is room to give them a slight tweek out, it should pull the leading edge of the frame tighter and thus flatter. It is sitting much better since I removed the plastic sleeve washers though.

Just haven't had time this weekend yet, a 5 month old baby sees to to that!

Perry

Quick Reply: Rear Spoiler warping?