Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Scratched sunroof when opening...

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2006, 07:14 AM
Alan993S
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Unhappy Scratched sunroof when opening...

Went out for a ride today. The weather was great so opened the sunroof to feel the breeze. Got back home and when i tried to close the sunroof, it jammed half way . Pushed the button to open again and it worked no problem and then closed fully with no problem. However when i got out the car i noticed two serious scratches / grooves in the paint of the sunroof. Each is about two inches long about a quarter of the way in from edge of the opening

Has this happened to anybody before? Anybody know what could have caused it? I think I need to get somebody to check out the sunroof mechanism - what are the chances of getting a good paint fix?

cheers
Alan
Old 10-31-2006, 10:28 AM
tonyc
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Alan,

Can give you the name of my mechanic if you want. He's in Fotan and might be worth seeing what he would cost. He fixed my cable for me last year and has organised some paint jobs which look perfect.

Cool avatar, dig that car just in front of yours in the picture!!

Tony
Old 10-31-2006, 12:29 PM
MarkD
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Anyone have any idea what scratched it? Must be something inside the roof, right?

Also, whats the deal with that little metal flap in the middle of the "wind break thingy" that pops up. I have had that get caught one time and make a horrendous sound. Does that have anything to do with Alan's problem?

Someone know this stuff... cmon, cough up an answer!
Old 10-31-2006, 01:17 PM
Ed Burdell
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I had a rigid piece of laminated paper stuck in my sunroof which caused some superficial paint scratches on my sunroof. I got it out and life was fine...although I still need to get the scratches buffed out.

While we're on the subject of sunroofs again, my inside cover vibrates at highway speeds. A folded business card wedged in the back edge in the center fixes it. Is there a more elegant fix to that out there?
Old 10-31-2006, 10:16 PM
Alan993S
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i will try post a picture of the scratches. Will also need to open up the upholstery zip to have a look if anyhting is a miss inside. Will keep you posted.
Alan
Old 11-01-2006, 01:42 AM
Don Plumley
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

When I got my 993 it had the same two scratches. I showed it though - welded it in place!
Old 11-01-2006, 01:31 PM
brucec59
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 92964cab
...Also, whats the deal with that little metal flap in the middle of the "wind break thingy" that pops up...
Can't help with your scratch prob, but I am curious about the flap thing, too. One day I was driving, with my sunroof open, on the lower deck of the Bay Bridge when there was work being done on the underside of the deck above. I heard a loud metalic PING above my head. Thinking a small object had fallen onto my car, I closed the sunroof. I later opened it, and that metal flap thing was GONE! Or so I thought. Then, PING! The metal flap was not missing, it had been stuck, and suddenly became un-stuck, springing into its upright position. What a relief. I oiled it and have not had a problem since.
Old 11-01-2006, 01:39 PM
MarkD
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by brucec59
Can't help with your scratch prob, but I am curious about the flap thing, too. One day I was driving, with my sunroof open, on the lower deck of the Bay Bridge when there was work being done on the underside of the deck above. I heard a loud metalic PING above my head. Thinking a small object had fallen onto my car, I closed the sunroof. I later opened it, and that metal flap thing was GONE! Or so I thought. Then, PING! The metal flap was not missing, it had been stuck, and suddenly became un-stuck, springing into its upright position. What a relief. I oiled it and have not had a problem since.
Exactly my experience Bruce. Sounded really bad.
Adding this to my list. I'd be surprised if oiling will solve what mine did. When I figure it out I'll post it...
Old 11-01-2006, 11:52 PM
The Brewmeister
Rennlist Member

Received 38 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by Alan993S
Went out for a ride today. The weather was great so opened the sunroof to feel the breeze. Got back home and when i tried to close the sunroof, it jammed half way . Pushed the button to open again and it worked no problem and then closed fully with no problem. However when i got out the car i noticed two serious scratches / grooves in the paint of the sunroof. Each is about two inches long about a quarter of the way in from edge of the opening

Has this happened to anybody before? Anybody know what could have caused it? I think I need to get somebody to check out the sunroof mechanism - what are the chances of getting a good paint fix?

cheers
Alan
It's happened to me. It happened after having the headliner on the sunroof repaired.
When the headliner was snapped back into the sunroof it shifted
back slightly probably reseting the kick-up mechanism. I was told to close
the sunroof and it jammed. Went back all he way, then closed it and it was
fine. Opened it up again and drove to friend's house about 10 miles from the
repair shop and closed it up again. Got out of the car and saw the two scratches
and almost peed my pants! If I was only told to open it all
the way first and then close it this probably wouldn't have happened. The
shop has promised to repaint the roof which is supposed to be done within
the next few weeks. I could have done without the aggravation, though.

As for your problem, it sounds like the cable on one side may have broken causing
the roof to jam in it's forward motion. You may have been lucky on the retry.
I would leave it closed until you determine the problem. Wouldn't want to
cause further damage.

Quick Reply: Scratched sunroof when opening...