Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

How long was your search? First choice color?

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2006, 02:05 AM
Svaha
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Color was a major criterion for me. I was looking for Midnight Blue. I spent 6 months online perusing with interest, then hopped all over the Midnight Blue C4S I found. I haven't looked back yet. I already learned on previous car purchases that, at least for me, I had better get exactly the color I want or I'll regret it later. I have received rave reviews from family, friends and strangers on the car, especially the color choice, so I'm happy with the decision I made.
Old 10-26-2006, 02:05 AM
jmriggio
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

8 months with 5 rejects. Strict criteria. Polar/ blk supple leather. low miles. well maintained. Random Ebay search cuz I was bored one day. 3000 miles away. Bought it sight unseen. Owner sounded like a good guy. Shipped on Intercity...One of the best decsions I've ever made.
Old 10-26-2006, 10:59 AM
Lawrence_P
Racer

It was awful. A horrendous quest. Maybe it took a whole week, or ten days, even. I preferred anything but white, red or silver, but I suppose I would have taken those too under duress. This one popped up unexpectedly in iris blue (66K miles for $22K) so I said, "well, gee, OK".
Old 10-26-2006, 11:13 AM
dbf73
Boost Junkie
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 39 Likes on 32 Posts

Mine was a little over a year. It first started when my neighbor was thinking of selling his "better than new" black 993tt. I really didn't want another black car but that one is so nice I would've bought it anyway. He decided to keep it at least for a while so I started looking elsewhere. My first choice was speed yellow followed (well back) by Arena Red. I also would have jumped on a Riviera Blue but those are REAL rare. Found a nice local Arena Red car but called on it the day after it sold. Hoped that deal would fall through but it didn't. Eventually I ran across the SY car that I bought down in Orlando. All told, I looked for a little over a year.
Old 10-26-2006, 11:23 AM
Monique
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Like many here.. the compromise is most times on color. Took me 2 years to find the one I wanted... but then again, not many built
Old 10-26-2006, 11:44 AM
AGC
Racer

I think mine was all luck.

I had a 91 Testarossa that I wanted to get rid off(really wanted out of the vehicle), so started looking at dealership (RPM, Premier, etc.). Originally looking at a C4S because of the price, long story short; I found a broker who got me a buyer for my car and got me a black/grey 993TT (10k miles) for less money than I would have had to the C4S (from the dealers). Color was not even an issue or priority for me, my main thing was to get a low mileage car in great condition; and I got one.

If I had to chose, my preference would have been Silver (either one), Speed Yellow and then Black.
Old 10-26-2006, 01:18 PM
grouchy
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts

About four months for me. Colour was not a big issue, I had certain ones I did not want, yellow, white, red, black. I would have liked to find a green/tan C4 but not enough original purchases agreed with that choice.

Options, maintenance history, and PPI were the big factors.
Old 10-26-2006, 01:31 PM
Joe S.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

About two years to find the car with the color, condition, miles and options I wanted. Only things I didn't get that i really wanted were the sport seats and litronics lights. Enjoy the search...
Old 10-26-2006, 01:34 PM
David in LA
Nordschleife Master

For my first 993 I was looking for a white, yellow or silver cab and found a white one...I originally wanted a black top but this one had a blue one and the more I looked at it, the more I thought it was a better match to white than a black top. For my next one, I was originally looking for a yellow, dark gray or purple cab and never even considered green until I saw this one. Now I'm passively looking for a vesuvius, fly yellow or purple TT...if I ever come across one, I will have a hard decision to make
Old 10-26-2006, 02:22 PM
dcdude
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Talking

Thanks for the outpouring of support, guys.

When I was shopping for my E-46 BMW, I really wanted Oriental Blue or Mystic Blue, but because I also had to have a pretty rare 5-speed and I planned to commute in it...I compromised, and still sigh every time I see a blue one.

I won't make that mistake again with my 993 dream car. Considering that we're not talking exotic specs (C2, 6-Speed) I've decided to wait it out for the colors I want: Midnight Blue or Ocean Blue. Prefer tan guts, will take grey.

In addition to the rare-ish sighting of a 993 to begin with, the blue is what really turns my head (and my wife's!) and gets my heart pumping. I think we're all entitled to that. Otherwise, why bother?

Keep your eyes open for me!

Thanks, Chuck
Old 10-26-2006, 02:27 PM
pcar964
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

About 6 months, color was my second choice (black, my first choice was either silver), interior had to be black, had to be 6sp coupe. Oh yeah, and I found the car in Conneticut, and I live in Florida I've traveled across the country for my last two Pcars (Arizona for a 944 turbo, and CT for the 993). Actually I prefer it that way - the road trip is a good way to get to know your new car!
Old 10-26-2006, 04:35 PM
Ed Burdell
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Over a year of window shopping, then several months of intense scrutiny (carfax, phone calls, test drives, etc. Color still not a stated criterion, however.), then whammo! A '98 coupe black w/red interior pops up. It's more than I wanted to spend, but the model year and the color drove me to pull the trigger anyway - how unscientific is that? Must have resonated with some deep memories of the '64 Ford Falcon I drove in high school - that car was black w/red vinyl.

At the time (a scant six months ago), I was too naive to even differentiate between NB and WB, 17" vs 18" wheels, plus all the other tweaks that came with my particular car. So I wasn't clever, just lucky. Later, through the excellent tutelege of this esteemed group, I can even spell "Bilstein" now.
Old 10-26-2006, 06:10 PM
97_993C2
Burning Brakes

Received 18 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by dcdude68
When I was shopping for my E-46 BMW, I really wanted Oriental Blue or Mystic Blue, but because I also had to have a pretty rare 5-speed and I planned to commute in it...I compromised, and still sigh every time I see a blue one.
dcdude68, I have a 99 Orient Blue 323i, which I ordered new, with sports package and 5-speed I could let you have. It only has 145K miles ;-)

But back to the subject - I casually looked for about 6 months and seriously for 2. It wasn't until I missed out on a very low mileage, reasonably-priced, pristine, black/black 95 C2, because I hesitated - black was not in my top 3 - that I decided to broaden my color choices. I called a dealer whose cars I didn't like before about a black 993 and it turned out he was getting a one-owner Artic Silver ( my first choice ) C2 with relatively low mileage. I wound up with the car I wanted even though I had decided I was willing to "settle" on color. The condition of the car was most important. However, after getting my first-choice car, I am not sure I would have been happy if I had settled.

Dan
Old 10-26-2006, 06:50 PM
Jeff96-993
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I searched for a little over 6 months. Color was not a serious consideration, as I'm color-blind. But some colors show up better than others, and I fell in love with Speed-Yellow. Wife (now ex) couldn't stand the color so I kept searching (looking back should've gone for it). Only color I ruled out was Guards Red, as my '86 was that color and after 8 years of ownership it had worn off on me.

Ended up with an Arena Red beauty... and no regrets either, but I still drool over SY. Like having a beautiful wife and then Halle Berry walks by...

Have now owned it for 8 years and plan to keep it forever!
Old 10-26-2006, 07:40 PM
steve g
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

3 years ago, I was originally looking for a white or silver 87-89 coupe for about 6 months and went thru 2 PPIs in Florida and Boston which resulted in 2 no - buy decisions. I hadnt even considered a 993. Out of the blue, during a conversation with my dad who lives in Florida mentioned that a retired friend of his in Florida had a white Porsche which he wanted to trade in for new Lexus for his wife. The next day, on the Friday he put the ad in the newspaper for the car, I called him and we set up a PPI for the next week. I flew to Tallahasse and met the Service Manager and Mechanic and we did the PPI while I was there. I would have driven the car home but it was in January and just drove the car for 2 days until my flight home. Intercity transported the car back to IL. The color of the car was Grand Prix White and Flamenco Red with Black accents which I am very happy with. For me, color wasnt the most important criteria, a known history was more important.

Quick Reply: How long was your search? First choice color?