Sponsored by:

Would you ever buy..

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2006, 02:09 PM
ceboyd
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

well, I loaned a car to a friend 15 years ago and it was involved in an accident (I wasn't driving) but the car was NEVER the same.. I ended up selling it shortly after I got it back from the body shop (traded it in at a dealer that is)

..then I had this car that was a magnet for getting hit while parked (got hit 3 times while parked in 2 weeks).. it was never the same either after the repairs so I traded that one into the dealer..

..Finally one of my first cars right out of college I managed to slide into someone on icy conditions and it also was never the same after repair (bumper didn't line up just right and the alarm had this ghost blip every-so-often with no ryme or reason after the repair)

..traded that in too after the glitches got to me...

I just don't like driving around something that has had body repair...

the only exception is I had a rear bumper cover replaced (from a very slow 5 to 7mph tap into my rear at a stop sign) on my former Z3 Roadster... I guess that 'hit' was light enough that it only cracked and damaged the cover and it was able to be re-hung properly and they did a fantastic job matching the paint.. and it never drove differently or anything like that...

so I'd say you have to go by your own judgement on this one...

if it doesn't bother you and you like how it drives, the paint matches, and the price is appropiate.. go for it!
Old 10-24-2006, 09:32 PM
Wilder
Rennlist Member

Received 5,005 Likes on 1,777 Posts

Probably pass. I have no problem with damaged cars if the damage is light and its been properly repaired. The misalignment on the panels would concern me and I would only continue to consider it if I absolutely had to have the car and a body shop told me it was a simple matter of proper alignment.

I am **** but bought my car with an accident and complete respray sight unseen after the PO was very forthcoming about a minor "fender bender" and showed me full documentation with pictures of the damage he took on the spot, insurance letters, estimates and receipts from the Porsche dealer where he got the job done. The car is in exceptional condition.

Another example is my friend's TT that incurred $60k (not a misprint) in front-end damage. It took 8 months to fix by one of the top shops on the west coast and the car looks and feels like new. I saw the car on several occasions in various stages of repair and would never be concerned about owning that car.
Old 10-25-2006, 12:47 AM
jimwood
Rennlist Member

Received 35 Likes on 16 Posts

"Panel misallignment" is often, but not always a sign of a bent frame. Personally, I think body shops try to massage the panels to make up for minor and most likely small distortions in a minimally bent frame. If they return it to the owner and could have massaged the panel to fit, they probably didn't do a bang up job (pun intended). I pass on a misalligned panels, but not necessarily re-painted or minor accident autos IF the price reflects the accident.
Old 10-25-2006, 12:59 AM
nota_troll
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

just like most have said, I would buy one if price reflected the damage too. I almost bought a 993 which had the front tub replaced.
Old 10-25-2006, 10:07 AM
Lawrence_P
Racer

Of course I would. These are automobiles, not kidneys. I buy crashed airplanes. Verify what the damage was and that it was repaired properly.

The body panel fit on all of them is atrocious, even before they were crashed. It might be better than new.
Old 10-25-2006, 12:46 PM
jimwood
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Lawrence_P
The body panel fit on all of them is atrocious, even before they were crashed.
I've never heard that complaint before. Interesting. Most pictures I see don't evidence misalligned body panels.
Old 10-25-2006, 12:49 PM
ceboyd
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by jimwood
I've never heard that complaint before. Interesting. Most pictures I see don't evidence misalligned body panels.

Didn't you ever notice how alignment of 993 body panels are masked by the black gaskets? I have when buying my 993 new... but I realized it was they way they were...

Now things like the hood being aligned and trunk and doors being aligned I probably don't notice as much as some perfectionist who works in a body shop... If they are off by .0009mm, some body shop guy might notice but I never would...
Old 10-25-2006, 01:41 PM
jimwood
Rennlist Member

See, I learn something new everyday. That explains that gasket between the hood and fenders.

How did that conversation go in Germany. Sir, the hood is too short, and the fenders don't reach the bumper. Should we go back to re-design? Nein, fill the gap with the left over gasket material.
Old 10-25-2006, 01:59 PM
ZombiePorsche44
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by jimwood
"Panel misallignment" is often, but not always a sign of a bent frame. Personally, I think body shops try to massage the panels to make up for minor and most likely small distortions in a minimally bent frame. If they return it to the owner and could have massaged the panel to fit, they probably didn't do a bang up job (pun intended). I pass on a misalligned panels, but not necessarily re-painted or minor accident autos IF the price reflects the accident.

One way to tell if the frame is bent is, have the alignment checked for unusual camber, caster & toe in settings, especially on the side where it was hit and compare those to the other side and to factory suspension settings.

If the car drives straight with the weird settings, it probably has a bent chassis/frame and could cost lots of $ to get it fixed and I mean lots!

Also when 911's take a hit to the front corners, it can have a tendency to missalign the steering rack, check that area closely to see if the rack has been re-aligned to a non-factory position that allows the geometry to still work but at angles not good for longevity of the rack and steering components and make sure the steering components are at acceptable settings as that can also point to a bent chassis.

I would not buy it personally unless I was building another track 993.

ZP44
Old 10-25-2006, 07:05 PM
wille
7th Gear

Thanks for helping me out. I will certainly not buy this car, I think it's much worse than the dealer told me and he wants too much money for the car. It's so easy to fall in love with a 993. I need to find one fast so I can enjoy a few weeks with the car before the winter.
Old 10-25-2006, 07:09 PM
DJF1
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 65 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by wille
Thanks for helping me out. I will certainly not buy this car, I think it's much worse than the dealer told me and he wants too much money for the car. It's so easy to fall in love with a 993. I need to find one fast so I can enjoy a few weeks with the car before the winter.
Why don't you buy mine? Email me if you wish at dannyjf1@gmail.com
Old 10-26-2006, 11:47 AM
901aero
Burning Brakes

Our 993s are a unibody construction and there is no frame. This is why damage to these cars is very hard to get repaired perfectly. You really have to know what you're doing. You have to hope the guy pulling things into shape knows how to use the machine.
Old 10-26-2006, 12:21 PM
Chuck W.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 357 Likes on 211 Posts

Out of the eight car in my family (4 kids and wife) 6 of them are salvaged cars including the 993. I bought them damaged and had them repaired. My recommendation is to NEVER buy a salvaged or damaged and repaired car unless you saw the damage beforehand and know who repaired it. There is too much risk if you do.

Quick Reply: Would you ever buy..