993 Forum 1995-1998

Secure Mount for Passport 8500

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2006, 03:48 PM
Sumtoc
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Secure Mount for Passport 8500

Pretty exciting drive yesterday, almost lost my 8500 via the passenger side window......

The Passport was mounted to the windshield (with the suction cups) fairley high and to the left of the rear view mirror. Hardwire power cord tucked under the windshield trim, running down and under the passenger side pillar trim. Even added a bit of black silicone sealant at a few key spots under the trim to keep the cord in place. All nice and neat.

Running hard through a LH turn (in the country with lotsa space, no traffic) and the car takes a little hop sideways, settles and recovers. Cool... except that now I am in the middle of the turn and my 8500 is dangling out of the passenger side window by the power cord. Hmmmm.... thats not good. So I finish the turn, slow down and catch the detector with my right hand before it starts banging on the side of the car, disconnect it and drive home.

As for std mounting options I don't think the visor mount really allows good LOS for the detector due to the heavier tint that high up plus the black trim paint on the windshield starts pretty closs to that area too. Don't want to have a repeat of yesterday's adventure either so the cups are out.

Is anyone aware of other mounting options for the 8500 that don't involve suction cups or the visor clip? After studying that area of the windshield it seems as though a bracket with thumb screws and a pressure plate could be used under the upper lip. Said bracket to have the right tab in the right place and angle to snap an 8500 on it. Kinda like the rear view mirrors for ski boats that mount on the top of the windshield, except pointed down instead of up.

Thoughts, ideas?
Old 10-28-2006, 08:43 PM
Rick Lee
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Just got the visor clip yesterday and it's super firm. But I'm thinking of going with that stiff velcro I have for my toll transponder. Will be hardwiring the whole thing later tonight. I mount above the rear view mirror, since detectors are illegal in VA and I need it stealthy.
Old 10-28-2006, 10:07 PM
David in LA
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Someone here had made a metal mount and attached it by using the visor screws...IIRC correctly he modified the visor mount to attach the detector to this metal bracket (this was for a V1 but I'm sure it could be done for the Passport as well) or maybe use that stiff velcro you mentioned. I have been wanting to do something similar but never found the time...and have also been looking for a stealthy detector mount for a long, long time
Old 10-29-2006, 11:42 AM
Bill Verburg
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 536 Likes on 371 Posts

The problem w/ the visor clips is that the visor becomes sacrificial

Plese post pics of the velcro solution, I've never seen that

Quick Reply: Secure Mount for Passport 8500