Sponsored by:

993 Audio system woes

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2006, 07:57 PM
Slow Guy
Race Director

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by brucec59
Using a battery on a speaker is one thing, but on a line level input it might result in a really big thump.
Nice thing about using the battery you don't need anything powered up. I doubt the 1.5v is going to hurt an input line if there's no other power to the unit.
Old 10-24-2006, 01:48 AM
brucec59
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Unless the amp is on, a battery at the amp's input will not produce any sound at the output (speaker). If the amp is on, the input sensitivity might be 1v or less, which means connecting a 1.5V battery will produce a pop/scratch/etc at the full output level of the amp!
Old 10-24-2006, 02:24 AM
Peter R.
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Seeing 1.5 V at the amp input is about equivalent to the head units max. preamp output, a mighty bang may ensue.

If you don't mind I'll use a wave generator ;P

Peter R.
Old 10-24-2006, 11:16 AM
Slow Guy
Race Director

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Peter R.
Seeing 1.5 V at the amp input is about equivalent to the head units max. preamp output, a mighty bang may ensue.

If you don't mind I'll use a wave generator ;P

Peter R.
I don't think you understood me, the beauty of using the battery is you DON'T need anything else hooked up, the head unit can be sitting on your workbench and the car keys in your pocket. The purpose of the battery is to determine what set of speaker wires goes to which speaker.

I thought I made this clear but obviously not...
Old 11-02-2006, 07:53 AM
Peter R.
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well, it turned out the 4 speaker wires are individually screened, so I decided to just solder cinch plugs on them. They fit the standard pre-outs on just about any head unit.

All went well, but unfortunately I've now found that the speakers in the left door are permanently out to lunch.

I'll test the whole thing to see if maybe it's an easy fix, but I've had quite enough of the silly wires and built in amp now, and I think I'll just rip the whole thing out and put in some half decent gear.

Peter R.

Quick Reply: 993 Audio system woes