993 Forum 1995-1998

Incredible piece of driving, Lovely Pix, Amalfi Coast

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2007, 09:06 AM
dcdude
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by nels415
Wow, super pics Pong and Mike! I've been to Italy twice, but haven't been down south. I will definitely catch it next time. Thanks for sharing.

-nels
My honeymoon was mostly on the Amalfi coast. Rented a Citroen C5 (attached) for the Autostrada. Hardly any Americans down there. Spent a little time in Tuscany in the later part of the trip, and in one small restaurant, there was nothing but Americans. I prefer the path less traveled.

To that end, took a great trip to Argentina in '05. Italian food at least as good as Italy, and all the grass-fed beef and good malbec wine you can handle. Rented a Fiat Palio for the Autopista down there. Not as nice as the Citroen. The Super Unleaded is called "Fangio" grade! PM/email me for details and pics...

Last edited by dcdude; 07-24-2014 at 02:53 PM.
Old 04-19-2007, 09:29 AM
Davies
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Steve 96C4S
Pompeii, with the mountain that destroyed it in the background
Mt. Vesuvius.

Seeing all the pics of spectacular mediterranean backdrops and the scary roads that adorn them reminds me of my childhood summers in Corsica
(Grandfather was Corsican). The winding mountain roads are incredibly narrow and very high and without much in the way of barriers, yet the locals drive them at breakneck speed. There are crosses on many of the road edges, and if stop to take a look, you'll see the cars that went over the edge, stuck in a time capsule, right where they landed, hundreds of feet below. It's impossible to tow them out. Very sobering.
Old 04-19-2007, 09:49 AM
Flying Finn
King of Cool
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Nice pics!

You're right, that's a beautiful area, I've been there also. Dubrovnik also, we cruised there and just arriving was cool.
Old 04-19-2007, 10:56 AM
RJT
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 339 Likes on 151 Posts

Originally Posted by Monique
Great pics everyone... and now for an unsung quality: the people are superbly nice and cool. The area is clean and though some crime occurs, few involve weapons...

Guess who has rented a nice yacht in Split for end september??
LOL!! We may be in Croatia in September if we can swing it (we're moving). Stop by Primosten and say hi!!

~J
Old 04-19-2007, 11:00 AM
David in LA
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Father of 3
That hotel looks unbelievable. We have a bit family (5). Do you know if these euro rooms will accomodate a big family like ours? We are looking for villas right now but may opt for a hotel. Thanks.
Hey Bobby, are you really finally going to do this trip this year?!?!?
Old 04-19-2007, 12:25 PM
CP
Race Director

Received 334 Likes on 239 Posts

Monique, Jo

Please let us know if Split is worth a visit. My friend's beach villa offer still stands. I could definitely use your first-hand account and pics.

This revived thread sure brings back fond memories. I love that trip

Thanks again.

CP
Old 04-19-2007, 01:21 PM
Kika
Nordschleife Master

Received 79 Likes on 60 Posts

I would recommend a stop in Cinque Terre, along the Italian Riviera, the villages are very nice there. the train runs between them. I was there last summer, awesome place.
Old 04-19-2007, 03:59 PM
Deanriffs
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by CP
We went with a cruise. Venice, Dubrovnik, Corfu, Mykonos, Kotokolons, Rhodes, Kusadasi, Santorini, Naples and Rome.

In the 70s I watched a National Geographics documentary tracing the footsteps of Sinbad the Sailor as he sailed the various Greek Isles in the Agean Sea in search of the golden fleece. The images of the sceneries and the crystal clear waters stayed with me all these years, and I had always wanted to do a similar trip. I am glad after some 35 years, we finally got to go. Incredible trip and sights. I highly recommend it.

When I get home tonight, I will post more pictures.

CP
CP,

Santorini rocks (no pun intended), especially the small northern village of Oia! Mykonos also has some beautiful, extremely clear water beaches and nice sand. The clubbing in Mykonos, I'm not quite in that station in life anymore, but if I were 21 again...

I look forward to taking in the Amalfi coast sometime before too long. Thanks for sharing the pics.
Old 04-19-2007, 04:26 PM
Father of 3
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by David in LA
Hey Bobby, are you really finally going to do this trip this year?!?!?
Looks like the Wifey is making plans for next year (2008). A lot of these places book up fast. Are you going to try to make it?
Old 04-19-2007, 06:46 PM
csertich
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Great pics Pong. Looks like a wonderful trip.
chuck
Old 04-20-2007, 12:16 PM
Benjamin Choi
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I love threads like these - great pics, pls post more!
Old 04-20-2007, 02:09 PM
Father of 3
Addict
Rennlist Member

Has anyone stayed in Praiano? The villas that are available there seem more reasonable and from what I've read, the town is pretty nice and much less crowded. The views to Positano look awesome.
Old 04-20-2007, 03:07 PM
Kika
Nordschleife Master

Received 79 Likes on 60 Posts
Default Italy 2006

Here are a few snaps of my trip to Italy last summer.
- My son over looking the French Riviera, if you look REALLY close you can see topless sunbathers.
- Cinque Terre: Monterossa, beautiful place
- Mercedes Smart car? ??had MB emblems but....
- Trevi Fountain: Same night Italy beat host Germany in the Semi!! Rome was a full on PARTY! I saw a group of nude women walking down the street after the match. wasn't sure if they were Germans that lost a beat, or Italians celebrating!
- Watching the Italy vs. Germany match at Piazza Navona
- Venice, the big white yacht on the left is Bill Gates', or so we were told.

Quick Reply: Incredible piece of driving, Lovely Pix, Amalfi Coast