Here are the pics of Dubrovnik. Just for you

Enjoy.

CP
Attached Images      
Old 10-20-2006, 11:26 PM
CP
Race Director

Received 334 Likes on 239 Posts

The one stop that I really enjoyed was Kusadasi in Turkey. Most other cruises stop at Istanbul when they hit Turkey. Ours stopped at Kusadasi.

Ten miles inland from Kusadasi is an ancient town of Ephesus. St. John the Apostle and the Virgin Mary settled in Ephesus and died there. There is still the ruins of St. John's Cathedral there. St' John's tomb stilll lies in the catacomb under the main dome of the church. See the picture of the iron grill, which is the entrance to the catacomb and tomb area. I have some pics of the church's remains, including the baptismal pool.

St John built a house for the Virgin Mary to live in at the top of a hill and she livd there all her life. The house is still 40% original, and 60% replicated. The pictures of the red brick building is her house. I have a picture of myself and Margaret, my better half, sitting by the large tree in her yard.

I could not believe the sense of serenity when we were there. Rich, if you wish to lower your blood pressure. I recommend you visit those sites. I did not take a picture of the olive tree lined valley below. But believe me, the views were stunning.

The rest of the pictures are the remains of the main town of Ephesus. The town was first settled in 500 BC. It is truly amazing to see what people could build some 2,500 years ago.

The stop at Kusadasi alone made the entire trip worthwhile for me. Hope you enjoy the pics as well.

CP
Attached Images            
Old 10-20-2006, 11:32 PM
Air Kuul TT
Race Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Beautiful pix of your visits and of you and Margaret. Thanks for sharing....
Old 10-21-2006, 01:11 AM
Dan V
Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Great pix as usual Pong. Italy is my fav country in Europe so far, and I must go back there, especially since it's right near the other country I MUST visit, the homeland of my grandparents: Croatia -- which, I've heard, is a "mandatory" holiday destination for Germans and Northern Europeans!

Thanks again for sharing Pong!
Old 10-21-2006, 01:19 AM
Terry Adams
Rennlist Member

Received 879 Likes on 526 Posts

Great pics Pong, and I love how you captured the stunning architecture.
Old 10-21-2006, 01:42 AM
ARM993
Burning Brakes

Wow, great pics. Thanks for sharing your vacation with us.
Old 10-21-2006, 05:25 AM
The Eagle
Pro

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Gorgeous pics. Thanks for sharing!!

~ The Eagle ~
---------------------

'96 Polar Silver/Black C4S, manual, litronics, alu/leather shifter & handbrake, silver face gauges with alu rings, "GT" sport seats,
full leather interior, motor sound airbox, stainless door sills, with split rear grill and layered with Meguiar's NXT Tech Wax

'92 Carrera 2 (Sold)
'89 Carrera 3.2 (Sold)
Old 10-21-2006, 05:27 AM
Feehliks
Instructor

Originally Posted by CP
People say that the drive is similar to the Pacific Coast Highway down to Big Sur. I say the Amalfi Coast drive is MUCH prettier. I have driven to Big Sur numerous times, and there is no contest IMHO.

I have a few pics of the area, mostly from inside the bus. Enjoy.
Thanks for posting your beautiful pictures. The mediterranean sea has beautiful spots indeed. However as you compare with the PCH I must say that I like the roughness of the pacific ocean very much. Thus, the PCH has quite a different athomsphere, maybe rather like if you trevel the Atlantic coast in Spain and France. The mediterranean sort of reminds me of a lake.

Regards

Felix
Old 10-21-2006, 10:26 AM
atomic80
Pro

Received 12 Likes on 3 Posts

Thanks for posting these beautiful pictures! You're as good as I am when it comes to taking pictures! One day I'll visit these places...I've stuck mostly to the Northern parts of Europe but you've given me ample reason to venture further South.
Old 04-19-2007, 12:11 AM
Father of 3
Addict
Rennlist Member

Hey, anyone have a recommendation for a villa in Positano or Amalfi? For those who have stayed in Positano, is there much to do/see or is it really just a kick back, relax type vacation?
Old 04-19-2007, 12:31 AM
rome
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Father of 3
Hey, anyone have a recommendation for a villa in Positano or Amalfi? For those who have stayed in Positano, is there much to do/see or is it really just a kick back, relax type vacation?
I stayed in Positano last summer. It is a kick back and relax kind of place. BUT, there are many great excursions within a 1-2 hr. drive (or boat ride) including-- Pompeii, Herculenium, Amalfi, Ravello, Capri and several others.

We stayed at Le Sirenuse, which I highly recommend, but it books very early. Il San Pietro is also a very nice place to stay in Positano. Both hotels have websites with excellent ideas for day trips. www.sirenuse.it www.ilsanpietro.it

If you can spare the time, try to spend a few days on Capri (but avoid doing it as just a day trip if you can because there is a lot to see and the island is best at night).
Old 04-19-2007, 01:02 AM
99three
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Awesome pics. The Amalfi coast is one of the most beautiful places on earth.
Old 04-19-2007, 01:28 AM
Father of 3
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by rome
I stayed in Positano last summer. It is a kick back and relax kind of place. BUT, there are many great excursions within a 1-2 hr. drive (or boat ride) including-- Pompeii, Herculenium, Amalfi, Ravello, Capri and several others.

We stayed at Le Sirenuse, which I highly recommend, but it books very early. Il San Pietro is also a very nice place to stay in Positano. Both hotels have websites with excellent ideas for day trips. www.sirenuse.it www.ilsanpietro.it

If you can spare the time, try to spend a few days on Capri (but avoid doing it as just a day trip if you can because there is a lot to see and the island is best at night).
That hotel looks unbelievable. We have a bit family (5). Do you know if these euro rooms will accomodate a big family like ours? We are looking for villas right now but may opt for a hotel. Thanks.
Old 04-19-2007, 01:45 AM
Steve 96C4S
Rennlist Member

Received 851 Likes on 434 Posts

Great pics, guys.

We thought Capri was much nicer than Positano, but that's just us. It's car free, which is HUGE! Positano got so hard to breathe in parts of it due to fumes, the part of it that's car travelled.

Here's Capri

Our hotel in Capri, Hotel Mamela

They gave us a 2 bedroom suite for some reason as that's all they had left.

The cement beaches were kind of weird there, though

If you're going to Postitano, I'd do Hotel San Pietro over Le Sireneuse...

They have some of the best views in Italy there

Don't miss Pompeii and be sure to take a tour. You'll never forget it.

Pompeii, with the mountain that destroyed it in the background

Cheers,
Steve R
Old 04-19-2007, 03:48 AM
Monique
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Great pics everyone... and now for an unsung quality: the people are superbly nice and cool. The area is clean and though some crime occurs, few involve weapons...

Guess who has rented a nice yacht in Split for end september??

Quick Reply: Incredible piece of driving, Lovely Pix, Amalfi Coast