Sponsored by:

FS: 1996 Arena Red C4S (19k miles)

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2006, 11:08 PM
RogueM3
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by chris walrod
This one sold for$60K out the door, which is roughly $56K -- nice car as I have drooled over it trying to rationalize how I must have this car.. next time
Thats a sweet car at a sweet price. I do wonder what the "Carfax issue" was, though. (it may have contributed to the lower price)
Originally Posted by mjsporsche
I find it interesting the comments that are made about the inherent risks of low mileage examples vs higher mileage (not high mileage) well maintained 993s and 993tts. So, which is it guys. Pay a premium for a rarely used example that has a number of things to sort out or pay a realistic price for an outstanding, but used example.
I had this same discussion somewhat recently with another Rennlister discussing this car in particular. (member= 993Guy) We both decided that ~20k miles is about where you want a "low-mileage" car of this age to have. I mean, there is a line between a low-mileage car that has bad seals and is a mess because it was never driven, and a low-mileage car that has had services done in a timely fashion and which is driven sparingly enough to keep the miles down, while keeping the motor solid.

For example, here is a car that probably looks STUNNING in person, but for the price, and issues its bound to have being nearly 18 years old with only 480 miles, it cant be worth the premium: http://www.rpmsportscars.com/door24.htm
Originally Posted by Fillipe
Maybe Keith will give you a lead, or at least help you out.
He already bought the LMs that were on the car...maybe he could be convinced to take the whole car now.....
Old 12-03-2006, 11:21 PM
Phil
Phlat Black Guru
Rennlist
Lifetime Member
- Times 2

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by RogueM3
Thats a sweet car at a sweet price. I do wonder what the "Carfax issue" was, though. (it may have contributed to the lower price)

I had this same discussion somewhat recently with another Rennlister discussing this car in particular. (member= 993Guy) We both decided that ~20k miles is about where you want a "low-mileage" car of this age to have. I mean, there is a line between a low-mileage car that has bad seals and is a mess because it was never driven, and a low-mileage car that has had services done in a timely fashion and which is driven sparingly enough to keep the miles down, while keeping the motor solid.

For example, here is a car that probably looks STUNNING in person, but for the price, and issues its bound to have being nearly 18 years old with only 480 miles, it cant be worth the premium: http://www.rpmsportscars.com/door24.htm

He already bought the LMs that were on the car...maybe he could be convinced to take the whole car now.....
Thats great.
Keith is a stand up guy. Glad he helped you out. I wish I could, but I don't know anyone looking for a 993.
Old 12-03-2006, 11:38 PM
vjd3
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

This car actually has its own "Carfax issue;" it shows tonight that it has a potential odometer discrepancy. It's probably a clerical error because it's only a few hundred mile difference, but then again it was a year later with less mileage. It's yet another example of how a Carfax can really cloud the picture of a car's history.

5/17/1999 15,618 New Jersey
Motor Vehicle Dept.
Nanuet, NY Title issued or updated

05/24/2000 15,242 Inspection Co.
New Jersey Vehicle Inspected
INCONSISTENT ODOMETER READING
CARFAX AdvisorTM
CARFAX analyzed this mileage history and is uncertain whether this reading represents a rollback or a clerical error. Please verify the mileage with your dealer or a qualified mechanic.

I negotiated a good deal on a 911 today, in fact, and could tell that there was some minor paintwork on the front quarter, which, after looking underneath the hood and the car, seemed like it was some minor event. But I ran a Carfax and it was reported as an accident in New Jersey. Even though I was satisfied the car is fine and it's an attractive price, I'm not going to buy it, because I know if I go to sell it, the next guy will see that Carfax report and have misgivings. New Jersey reports anything estimated as over $500 by the police report, and just about anything on a Porsche is going to be higher than $500.
Old 12-03-2006, 11:46 PM
vjd3
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

By the way, the current owner should document that and contact Carfax; they will fix and/or remove the entry if you can show them it's incorrect. I had to do that on a 993 I used to own, as it showed work being peformed at Chevy dealer on New Years Day in 2000 where the car had never been before and at an odd mileage. Y2K anyone? I got a letter from the service manager stating the car had never been there and that the service department was closed on New Years Day (duh).
Old 12-03-2006, 11:55 PM
RogueM3
Pro

Vic,

Thanks for the posts. Im more than a little surprised about the CarFax issue, and hopefully Mark will be able to straighten it out with Carfax or atleast give me a reason as to why this could be. I know he had some issues with getting the DME to store codes after the battery went dead a few years ago, but that wouldnt/shouldnt have any bearing on the analog odometer...

I sent Mark a link to this thread earlier in the evening to show him my recent update, hopefully he will see this as well and email me a reason or post the reason himself.

Thanks again,

Richard
Old 12-20-2006, 11:27 AM
RogueM3
Pro

BUMP!!

The carfax error looks to have been a clerical error in recording the mileage which with any luck will be worked out shortly after the new year.
Old 12-20-2006, 06:14 PM
Ritter v4.0
Rennlist Member

Received 99 Likes on 47 Posts

With no comment on price, thats the nicest looking Arena Red anything I've seen. Is it the detailing or the photograhy or both?

Did you take the foto? I notice the greener than green grass in your M3 photo as well- did you play around with filters or photoshop. Regardless- very nice.
Old 12-20-2006, 07:01 PM
bull30
Burning Brakes

The price of $50,000 for a C4S with 19,000 miles is certainly fair...
Old 12-20-2006, 07:59 PM
RogueM3
Pro

Originally Posted by Ritter
With no comment on price, thats the nicest looking Arena Red anything I've seen. Is it the detailing or the photograhy or both?
Its probably a bit of both. The car really does look that spectacular in person and the camera (Nikon D50 DSLR) is high-quality enough to show the true appearance of the car.

Did you take the foto? I notice the greener than green grass in your M3 photo as well- did you play around with filters or photoshop. Regardless- very nice.
I did take the photos, and they weren't touched with photoshop or any other image program, and the camera only had a UV filter on the lens...nothing more. My Signature picture was photoshopped by the owner of the car club I am affiliated with and who also hosts the photo on his website.

Thanks for the good words. Photography isnt a huge hobby of mine, but I do like it especially with this camera taking the sweet pics that it does!
Old 12-20-2006, 09:17 PM
Ritter v4.0
Rennlist Member

Received 99 Likes on 47 Posts

The grass sure is green where you live. NJ?!?
Old 12-20-2006, 10:45 PM
RogueM3
Pro

The grass sure is green where you live. NJ?!?
Well, like I said, the grass was photoshopped in my signature photo. The picture was taken in Va.
Old 02-15-2007, 05:48 PM
RogueM3
Pro

Thought this needed a bump. Ive gotten sporadic emails from members, though nothing serious in the past few weeks.

In all honesty, we knew the car would probably not sell over the winter, but its still worth a try.

We are still relatively firm on the $58k, but no price is ever 100% firm (offers close to $58k will be considered)

Mileage is still under 20k...
Old 04-03-2007, 03:25 AM
RogueM3
Pro

Originally Posted by RogueM3
We are still relatively firm on the $58k, but no price is ever 100% firm (offers close to $58k will be considered)
BUMP! Its April and someone needs this car!
Old 07-17-2007, 12:26 AM
RogueM3
Pro

Still for sale and seeking offers reasonably close to the asking price. (mid-50s)

Quick Reply: FS: 1996 Arena Red C4S (19k miles)