Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How long did you wait to have clearguard installed after a paint job?

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2006, 02:49 PM
98993c2s
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If I had to wait four months, I wouldn't have resprayed the car...I just would have lived with the rock chips.
Old 10-19-2006, 02:53 PM
2ndof2
Three Wheelin'

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I hear that Rob! No way I'm waiting that long. My car is going to get a suntan.....
Old 10-19-2006, 03:43 PM
Chuck A.
Pro

Just a suggestion. Why don't you use a bra (properly!) while waiting for it to cure?
Old 10-19-2006, 03:45 PM
Chuck A.
Pro

Originally Posted by cobalt
...I have a good friend who does great work...
Would you mind giving me his contact info? I would like to get this done by someone who knows what they are doing.

Thanks
Old 10-19-2006, 03:47 PM
2ndof2
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Chuck A.
Just a suggestion. Why don't you use a bra (properly!) while waiting for it to cure?
Um, not exactly sure what that means Chuck. Do you mean using a removable bra on the car until the paint cures? (prob a bad idea due to paint possibly getting the imprint of the bra embedded into it) Or was there a joke I just didn't get?? I know you guys from Jersey can be pretty funny! ie. Joe Piscapo
Old 10-19-2006, 03:59 PM
Chuck A.
Pro

Originally Posted by 2ndof2
Um, not exactly sure what that means Chuck. Do you mean using a removable bra on the car until the paint cures? (prob a bad idea due to paint possibly getting the imprint of the bra embedded into it) Or was there a joke I just didn't get?? I know you guys from Jersey can be pretty funny! ie. Joe Piscapo
Sorry, wasn't trying to be funny. I think if you used a bra temporarily (meaning not leaving it on the car all the time) could buy you time until the paint cured.

I'm no expert, but I highly doubt the bra will leave an imprint in the paint if it's only there when you are driving. Of course you would have to keep the car clean each time you put the bra back on, or the dust/dirt may scratch the paint, but may be worth the extra effort.

Just my .02.
Old 10-19-2006, 04:52 PM
Adrienne
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 16 Likes on 5 Posts

Yeah, install a temp bra until you get the clear bra installed. It won't imprint the paint or anything...they aren't that tight. Or simply stay way, way far away from the vehicle in front of you. I only got one rock ding while waiting the 3 weeks for mine to fully cure. My body shop had cured at a certain high temp per some extended period of time (I can't remember the details). I don't think all body shops have that capability. I'd suggest asking your body shop for more details on the curing they did, if at all.
Old 10-19-2006, 05:05 PM
2ndof2
Three Wheelin'

I'll check with the shop about their curing process and see what they say. I did place a bra on a 1986 Mazda RX7 I had in college after having some areas resprayed. The bra left an indentation in several areas as a result because I didn't let the paint cure. I'd hate to relive that experience so although it sounds like a good idea I think I'm going to use the "stay way back" method until I have the clearguard placed on the car. Also less expensive than purchasing a bra that will become obsolete the minute I have the clearguard installed. The perfect answer is to just not drive the car for a few months but we all know thats not going to happen!

Quick Reply: How long did you wait to have clearguard installed after a paint job?