Sponsored by:

Evo uprights....

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2006, 03:09 PM
mleds
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Evo uprights....

I have read quite a bit of the archives on steering feedback versus bump steer. I am not that lowered on my TT and want to know the downside of putting Evo uprights on my car. When my suspension gets loaded through an uneven turn there is a lot of feedback through the steering wheel? Any opinions and comments are greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Michael
Old 10-18-2006, 04:08 PM
Bill Verburg
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 565 Likes on 389 Posts

I don't know of any negatives except cost for the evo uprights per se. The issue is the same as w/ any lowered car. Mine at RoW M030 height had few if any problems, but at Cup car race height bump steer, driveway transitions, getting on to a lift all become issues, RS ride height appears to be a good compromise between all of the above and handling. At RS you probably don't need the Evos but they sure are nice, you do have to change tie rods as well.
Old 10-18-2006, 04:43 PM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Received 499 Likes on 320 Posts

Bump steer isn't so much feedback through the steering wheel, which is good, but more of a tendency for the whole car to jump around over a bump as the suspension loads and unloads. When my car had PSS-9's, I was even lower than RS ride height and had no issues with bump steer. With the Motons, I'm as low as Bill's car, maybe lower, and had some annoying bump steer with the stock set-up.
Old 10-18-2006, 07:09 PM
mleds
Rennlist Member

What would cause the heavier feedback be that I am getting? The car is aligned by johnson alignent to Viperbob specs, and then was rechecked at the dealer on the computer aligner.... same specs.... Maybe i am being too sensitive, but there is more feedback than i would expect at my existing height which is probabaly RS +10-15mm. Could it be the 4 wheel drive of the turbo and that I am feeling the bite of the tires as i accelerate through uneven pavement (with the suspension loaded)? My cab is around the same height or a bit lower but has different suspension- the bilstein HD's and H&R springs.... I havent driven them on the same roads back to back and don't/can't go nearly as fast in the cab..

The question I then have is if the car is at or just above RS height, will the Evo uprights have any downside?
Thanks in advance as always,
Michael
Old 10-18-2006, 07:25 PM
Wreck Me Otter
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Increased caster will give you heavier steering feedback.
Old 10-18-2006, 08:20 PM
mleds
Rennlist Member

Wreck Me,
Wreck me!!! Please elaborate..... Does this mean I should go down to RS height... Can the rear of the car suspension handle/ perform at RS height or does it need mods as well?
Thanks,
Michael
Old 10-18-2006, 09:25 PM
FotoVeloce
Three Wheelin'

I think lowering the car, in geneal will increase castor. I could be wrong.. I'm likely wrong..

Hey Kim, Spec Miata huh? How does that compare to the Zonker for track use? Sorry to taking this off into never-never land but I used be an MX5 geek.
Old 10-18-2006, 10:19 PM
Martin S.
Rennlist Member

Received 525 Likes on 347 Posts
Cool No worries Mike.....

I'll take your car out at the Streets of Willow in Nov and give you an "expert" opinion . First of all, rember, US roads are generally crap...the Autobahn and Autostrada are as smooth as a billiard table as are most race tracks.

I have PSS9s, not as low as RS ride height, I drive the **** out of the car at the track and I don't experience any bumpsteer to speak of, or, that I know of. The advantage of the EVO uprights, you can slam the car and still experience full front suspension travel....note these uprights are spendy, and will require a complete disassembly of the front suspension and a realignment as well.

And lastly, be careful of falling into a modifications hole on the Turbo car. What you will find in the final analysis, the car is too damn heavy. At least this is what John Gordon found out. His car was tricked out to the max...he finally got tired of dealing with the weight issue...e.g., they eat tires, etc. He is GT3 Cup Car man now...Viper Bob was selling a kit to remove the FWD aspect of the 4wd system...it is up on his web site. Then you'll have the drive line equivalent of a GT2 car....but you will be changing the character of the car and probably decreasing its resale value. I have driven several bone stock 993 TT; what an incredible street car, 400 HP in the lap of luxury. Personally, I wouldn't change a thing...bitchin street cruiser and long trip road warrior.

Her is what I would do if I were you: Sell the cabriolet AND the Turbo, and buy a 996 or maybe even a 997 GT3 car and have change in your pocket. The 2004 and later street GT3 is the ultimate street machine, and very quick on the track, yat at the same time streetable...this will be your 993TT competition in N class with POC. They are 300+ Lbs lighter than a 993TT and have a very sophisticated 2WD suspension system. Leave it in the garage most of the time and buy a city beater for the streets. If and when you need a luxury car to impress the ladies, rent one for the day, or borrow a car from some special people you know....no charge for the free advice which of course is worth what you paid for it, nada!
Old 10-18-2006, 11:12 PM
mleds
Rennlist Member

I like the STYLE of my car and don't want a GT3 right now, otherwise I would have bought one. I use my car for DE's on occasion, but wan't it perfect- as good as it can get- for driving all the time. I want the suspension geometry correct for a RS ride height or a few mm's above RS height........ I don't know, maybe I am crazy, but I am not going to sell this thing any time soon, or race it for that matter. I therefore don't worry about resale that much....
I love driving 150-200 miles on weekend mornings....
But of course you are correct.... a GT3 is the best for "hard driving". One day I will have enough dough to buy a 997 GT3 RS, I hope....
Old 10-19-2006, 02:10 AM
Martin S.
Rennlist Member

Received 525 Likes on 347 Posts
Cool You are doing it all right Michael...

You are the envy of most 993 geeks, with two (2) 993 cars in the garage, the Cabriolet AND the 993 TT car. I can only wish I had your troubles....me with only one little 993 in the garage .

Be that as it may, you are a great driver Mike....whatever way you go, it will be a blast for you and you'll have plenty of great stories for you kids/grandkids.

It looks like I will make the SOW event...we'll hook up.
Old 10-19-2006, 02:16 AM
GratefulJED
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't think that one can have too many Porsche parts on their Porsche car, especially since every now and then they just quit supplying them
Old 10-19-2006, 03:08 AM
Wreck Me Otter
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Read up on caster here: http://www.ozebiz.com.au/racetech/theory/align.html

Talk to Steve Weiner about when Evo uprights are appropriate. My car is slammed and needed them.

FotoVeloce - Two things make the SM more fun...cornering ability and competition. For racing, we have up to 70 cars on track...racing throughout the field, great fun. For track days it's a little tough because most people have high HP cars and the run groups don't usually like passing in corners where you need to in an SM. However, I can carry more speed through a corner in the SM than YZ...I just can't accelerate from there....I don't have a lot of seat time in YZ at LS and last time I did a 1:44.5...recently I did 1:46.7 in the SM...although the new surface helped about 1.5-2.0 seconds....but still....I expect YZ can do 1:36-1:38 with the right driver though...
Old 10-19-2006, 08:58 AM
AndyT
Three Wheelin'

Kim you still have the Zonker for sale ? Any pics ? I read about it a long time ago when you had it on the classifieds. Sounds like the ultimate 993 ! I also have spoke to Steve and I plan on EVO uprights when i get some money. Also Motons. Right now I am running a set of Bilstein RSR shocks and Hypercoil springs. I got them used real cheap and they are OK for know. This is on my TT
Old 10-19-2006, 09:11 AM
Jean
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 173 Likes on 104 Posts

For a street car you will most likely never need EVO uprights. If you go below RS height, then it starts making some more sense.

993TT vs. GT3....Unless you go with a Cup car, and if what you are after is a lot of FUN on the track and out of it, stick to your 993TT, mod it to a good (and I mean good) 500BHP with $15k and you will kill all your buddies' GT3s on the track, while enjoying every minute of the ownershiop experience.

Andy, if you are above 73 and drive it almost daily, don't get close to Moton, I am starting to feel my teeth numb.
Old 10-19-2006, 09:37 AM
AndyT
Three Wheelin'

Jean my car has become a track only ride. Once i put in the Recaro SPG Racer seat I can no longer see my blind spot very well. If I dared take it on the road, I'd likely drift into someone or break my teeth. I am running 900 and 600 lb springs. They are quite harsh. What are you running for spring rates. I also have monoball mounts from MODE and just replaced the front control arm bushings with ERP monoballs. The rubber stock ones were destroyed.

Quick Reply: Evo uprights....