Sponsored by:

Evo uprights....

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2006, 10:24 AM
Jean
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 173 Likes on 104 Posts

UGH!! Recaro SPG! Those are quite tight. I saw the Kirkey seats at OG Racing last time I was in the US, I bought one and installed it in my '74 TT monster, they are quite good and comfy. I had the SPG in my 965.

I am running softer springs now, 800-1000lbs, but my car is driven on the street too. Suspension wise I have a mix, did not go monoball all the way. Some RS and some GT2 parts + the Moton and adjustable sway bars etc..

This is one piece that made a serious difference in the car's behaviour. A GT2/RSR (I think) subframe mount, it does not stiffen the ride either, gotta have one!
Attached Images  
Old 10-19-2006, 12:20 PM
AndyT
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Jean does your subframe mount kit tilt the rear carrige ? ERP makes a kit. I understand this is needed for a slammed car. Like a Supercup or 993 RSR

http://www.erpparts.com/suspension/9...ageTiltKit.jpg
Old 10-19-2006, 01:53 PM
Wreck Me Otter
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Andy - Yep, it's still for sale...pretty much halfheartedly as the only place I advertise it now is in my signature...you know how that is...

Shoot me an e-mail if you want pics and details...

I am getting ready to blow it out though along with whatever 993 parts I have in "inventory" as racing the SM is a full time thing and full sized budget...don't listen to anyone who says "Racing an SM is cheap"...HAH...liars.....
Old 10-19-2006, 03:51 PM
AndyT
Three Wheelin'

PM sent Otter
Old 10-19-2006, 04:22 PM
mleds
Rennlist Member

Good info..... keep it coming....
I drove 100 miles yesterday and think that my "bump steer" might be feedback.... I am still looking for the answer to the following question....
If I lover my car to just above RS height, will it drive better with the EVO uprights, or am I better off stock?
Thanks again, this place rocks.
Michael
Old 10-19-2006, 04:27 PM
Martin S.
Rennlist Member

Received 525 Likes on 347 Posts
Cool ERP

makes all the trick components for the rear of a 993...kinematic toe links, camber links, etc...beautiful stuff. The ERP kinematic toe link was actually cheaper than the factory replacement part. My toe links were bruised/dented/groved due to a crash of the rear TRG drop links into the kinematic toe links. The drop link pick up points were too high up on the shock collar….and the drop links were too short. I replaced the TRGs with 993RS links, dropped the pick up points lower and replaced the factory kinematic toe links with ERP…all is well now.
Old 10-19-2006, 04:28 PM
AndyT
Three Wheelin'

i think you are fine with the stock uprights. my car is a little lower than RS height and bump steer is not too noticable at track speeds on some rough areas of pavement. On the highway which i have driven on twice wit the car setup the car is borderline dangerous with the camber I am running. Negative 3.2 degrees and neg 2.75 degrees. Therefore I cannot give you an answer about bumpsteer on the street. This is a 97 tt by the way.
Old 10-19-2006, 04:46 PM
Jean
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

mleds, If you don't have bump steer, installing the uprights will not make any difference at all, save your money for a good suspension IMO.

Andy I would not be able to answer you concerning the tilt but the kit you show in the picture looks very similar to the Motorsport one that I have in there. My car felt unstable in the rear under load, squat and throttle steer, this was the best way to eradicate it apparently. It is much crisper now.
Old 10-19-2006, 05:47 PM
AndyT
Three Wheelin'

Jean I think the ERP kit is pretty much a copy of yours. Thanks for that photo.

You know we haven't seen many pictures of your beast in a long time...hint hint : )
Old 10-19-2006, 06:21 PM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Received 499 Likes on 320 Posts

Michael,

Maybe what you're feeling is some steering kickback over bumps? This is different from bump steer. Older 911's had alot of this feedback, which I always liked since it made the handling lively as opposed to wooden.
Old 10-19-2006, 06:46 PM
mleds
Rennlist Member

Mark and Team,
I think that I am feeling kickback over bumps...... I just went out and the kickback is usually occuring when the pavement is uneven through a corner and the suspension compresses. Having said that, I drove the same road in a 996TT with the same PSS9 suspesnsion, and the kickback was by far less. I do want my car 10 or so mm lower though. I am on the slippery slope
Thanks all,
Michael
Old 10-20-2006, 06:39 PM
Jean
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by AndyT
You know we haven't seen many pictures of your beast in a long time...hint hint : )
I will look for that picture thread, there is always a good excuse to revive it
Old 10-23-2006, 08:04 AM
AndyT
Three Wheelin'

cool thx
Old 10-23-2006, 09:35 AM
Bill Verburg
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 565 Likes on 389 Posts

Originally Posted by mleds
If I lover my car to just above RS height, will it drive better with the EVO uprights, or am I better off stock?

Michael
IMO, stock, when mine had RoW M030, which is the same as turbo, and just above RS height, there was zero bump steer
Old 10-23-2006, 08:24 PM
Jack of Hearts
Racer

Default Agree it's just kickback--or excessive steering input

Originally Posted by mleds
Mark and Team,
I think that I am feeling kickback over bumps...... I just went out and the kickback is usually occuring when the pavement is uneven through a corner and the suspension compresses. Having said that, I drove the same road in a 996TT with the same PSS9 suspesnsion, and the kickback was by far less. I do want my car 10 or so mm lower though. I am on the slippery slope
Thanks all,
Michael

Michael--Just saw this thread. I feel your...uh...kickback.

My car is lowered to approx. 10mm above RS height with Bilstein sports and the stiffer RS bars and M030 springs. Right after I lowered it I was feeling a lot of action thru the steering wheel and at first I thought I had a bumpsteer problem.

I would have the wheel turned for steering input, hit a bump, and in the second the car got light I would over-input, causing the car to dart a tiny bit on conpression. What I found is that if I just lighten up on the wheel when running over bumps (i.e. hold input steady) there is no issue.

All that said the car does move a tiny bit on parallel road grooves. Not sure if that is due to brand new tires or something else.

Right now I'm playing around with tire inflation. If that doesn't fix it I'm going to check my tie rod ends and possibly upgrade to the turbo rod ends. If THAT doesn't work I'm gonna go back to Steve Alarcon and see if a tiny bit more toe or castor will plant the front end better. I could also screw the front ride height down a bit more although at that point I'd be dispensing with the factory F/R ride height balance.

Oh yeah and I'm definitely gonna upgrade to the RS engine mounts.

I figure I can fiddle with this thing for years....

JoH

Quick Reply: Evo uprights....