Loose Gravel + Barbed Wire Fence = Need Marin County Body Shop

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2006, 09:24 PM
ajlevine
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Loose Gravel + Barbed Wire Fence = Need Marin County Body Shop

Curses.
A few minutes ago I hit some loose gravel in a tight turn at around 20 mph. Started to slide, then the car grabbed when I was sideways and sent me through a barbed wire fence. Good news: Nobody Hurt. My fault 100%.

Anyway, damage appears to be front bumper and skid plate are thrashed, but I have major deep scratches on everything but the rear quarter panels (even the basket handle got hit). I'm not sure if there is any other damage to wheels or undercarriage. To be safe, I'll have it flatbedded home.

I live in Mill Valley. Does anyone have any recommendations as to a good body shop in the SF Bay Area, preferrably Marin? Any other words of advice?

I assume this is spendy enough that the insurance company needs to be involved, rate increases be damned. Let me know if you think I'm wrong.

Thanks for your help,

Andy
'95 Midnight Blue 993 C2
Old 10-16-2006, 09:31 PM
hockeydude
Addict
Rennlist Member

sorry to hear. Glad no one was injured though. any pics of the damage? Hopefully it was only cosmetic. Good luck!
Old 10-17-2006, 12:46 PM
AOW162435
Seared
Rennlist Member

Received 415 Likes on 233 Posts

Andy,
That is horrible - I'm glad there were no injuries.

I would try to handle this personally and keep the insurance company away. If the repairs cost a few thousand, chalk it up to car ownership and enjoy the car. I've never seen anything good happen after an insurance company is forced to pay out....

Andreas
Old 10-17-2006, 01:35 PM
mod4b
Advanced

Have you called hi tec, sonnon or scargo for their recommendations? There is a good shop in San Rafael, but I can’t think of it off the top of my head. There is also Valtellina in Sausalito.
Old 10-17-2006, 01:49 PM
ZombiePorsche44
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by ajlevine

I assume this is spendy enough that the insurance company needs to be involved, rate increases be damned. Let me know if you think I'm wrong.

Thanks for your help,

Andy
'95 Midnight Blue 993 C2
Oh yea the Insurance Co needs to be involved, you have probably done enough damage to warrant a respray and it won't be cheap, think of the insurance rate increases as probably less than the APR% of the credit card you would use.............Good Luck

ZP44
Old 10-17-2006, 01:50 PM
g_murray
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sometimes $hit happens. We cannot rewind 'time' -- so often we're left to do 'damage control' after an event such as this.

After you've calmed down - I would take a notepad and take a good look at the damage and 'assess' it yourself - degree of damage - paintwork depth - need for a repair of an item as against the whole replacement of an item, etc. etc. etc.

Right now you're a tad emotional - and that's understandable -- but things will very much seem different in the morning. (yeah, I know they seem like they won't now - but trust me on this.)

After you've done the self eval. - then sleep on it - and depending on how you feel 24 hrs. from now - THEN decide on a plan.

And, yeah, if the 'level of damage' isn't THAT much - then I too would steer clear of the insurance folk.

My $0.02,

Gerry
Old 10-17-2006, 01:50 PM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Received 499 Likes on 320 Posts

Man, sounds ugly. Sorry for the mishap. If you haven't had any issues with your carrier, let insurance pay for it. The repairs don't sound cheap...
Old 10-17-2006, 02:13 PM
Wilder
Rennlist Member

Received 5,012 Likes on 1,781 Posts

Sorry to hear about your mishap. Although it sucks, it's a good time to be thankful that no one was hurt. To better help make recommendations, pictures would help, but overall, understanding the degree of damage, how you want to approach the damage (repair vs. replace) and getting quotes will help you start assessing whether or not to go through insurance. Good luck.
Old 10-17-2006, 04:27 PM
ajlevine
Track Day

Thanks for the supportive notes.

I'm on the road for two days, but when I get back, I'll try to get some pictures up.

Looking over the car, I've also noticed that I bashed up the panel under the passenger side door. It doesn't look like I'm leaking fluid, so I think I'll try to fire it up and see if it is driving OK.

-Andy
Old 10-17-2006, 07:22 PM
tonyarcur
Advanced

Default body shop in Mill Valley area

Hi Andy:
I have heard from other porsche owners that Whitmans in San Rafael are excellent. They supposedly cater mostly to porsche's. I have no personal experience with them only what I have heard. Check them out. Hope this helps. Tony
Old 10-19-2006, 12:18 AM
ajlevine
Track Day

Default Here are the pix

They aren't pretty, but you can get an idea of the damage. Brought it to Whitman's today, they said it needs almost a complete repainting, so I'll have to make the insurance claim.

-Andy
Attached Images     
Old 10-19-2006, 12:22 AM
Paddy
Rennlist Member

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts

Ouch! I feel your pain bro- I put mine into a tire wall at VIR this weekend
Old 10-19-2006, 12:27 AM
John Velasco
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh........................

jv
Old 10-19-2006, 12:29 AM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Received 499 Likes on 320 Posts

Andy - Owwww! Based on what you said, I knew it was going to be bad.

Pat - What happened? Where did you go off? How bad?
Old 10-19-2006, 12:35 AM
Paddy
Rennlist Member

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts

Mark, I went off at turn 14a (roller coaster) rotated the car to far and got on the gas late

Quick Reply: Loose Gravel + Barbed Wire Fence = Need Marin County Body Shop