Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone swapped sunvisors to fit a radar detector?

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2008 | 12:44 PM
RallyJon
Weathergirl
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by David in LA
Hi Jon - I'm resurrecting your old post as I am looking to do a more rigid V1 mount like you've done. Drilling into the headliner makes me a bit nervous...I felt around the location you described and it seems the metal bar you described is maybe 3/8"-1/2" wide at most. Did you use a dremel or a punch to make the initial hole?

Also, do you recall what length sheetmetal screws did you use? Has your mount held up the past two years?

Thanks!
David
Just drilled it freehand with a collar on the bit so it wouldn't punch through too far. Then I enlarged the hole a bit and used fairly fat sheet metal screws. Don't remember the exact size, but once I got them started in the hole, I nipped off the points. The screw tips are probably no more than two threads in, but it's held up fine.

One thing to be careful about is the screw head shape. I got lucky and the screw heads are just right to provide friction against the V1's top and hold it in place.
Old 10-29-2008 | 02:01 PM
95_993
Race Car

I just used the suction cups that come with the unit and mount it just above the rearview mirror so there's about 2/8ths of an inch between the lower part of the dector and the top of the rearview mirror. I then ran the electrical wiring just under the window seal all the way around and down. At the moment the wiring is tucked under the dash but I plan to hotwire it to either the cigarette lighter or to the interior light power.
+1 on this set-up. Works great. Sits just low enough to also provide clear line of sight for rear window as well. If I leave the car parked for any length of time, I just disconnect the wire, tuck it over the sun visor, and remove the detector.
Old 10-29-2008 | 02:26 PM
David in LA
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by RallyJon
Just drilled it freehand with a collar on the bit so it wouldn't punch through too far. Then I enlarged the hole a bit and used fairly fat sheet metal screws. Don't remember the exact size, but once I got them started in the hole, I nipped off the points. The screw tips are probably no more than two threads in, but it's held up fine.

One thing to be careful about is the screw head shape. I got lucky and the screw heads are just right to provide friction against the V1's top and hold it in place.
Thanks Jon!

Originally Posted by 95_993
+1 on this set-up. Works great. Sits just low enough to also provide clear line of sight for rear window as well. If I leave the car parked for any length of time, I just disconnect the wire, tuck it over the sun visor, and remove the detector.
This is my current set up, but the suction cups tend to lose their grip after a few days. More importantly, the idea of a 3/4lb. metal box flying around the cabin at eye level in the event of an accident doesn't appeal to me
Old 10-29-2008 | 04:23 PM
dbf73
Boost Junkie
Lifetime Rennlist

part of the issue is that those little black dots (WTF are those there for) do not present a smooth surface for the suction cups. Just put a piece of heavy clear packing tape over the area where you want to stick the cups to make the surface smooth and Bob's yer uncle

Quick Reply: Anyone swapped sunvisors to fit a radar detector?