Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Michael Jordan got hops // sneeze technique

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2006 | 09:23 PM
ZSA Motorsport
Former Vendor

Default Michael Jordan got hops // sneeze technique

how are people achieving the best shifting? that is, im in first, and i step on it, that thing goes so quickly and hits lik e7k so quickly, i literally am unsure when to shift it. i drilled it today a bit and in the amount of time i counter 1onethousand, 2-onethosuand, the thing was near 7k, right on the border of red. with the bmw m-series, they gave you a sweet little hud that was cool but too high tech...too much assistance. how would you recommend approaching the shifting on those cars?

my second question has to do with sneezing....whats really neat about the porsche is that they arent as heavy, as subtle as the heavier bmws. that is, in the m6, i 'd be cruising at 80 and it felt like 40. at 100 it felt like 70 so you always felt you had to go faster and faster and but th cockpit was super quiet and plush and so you were chasing this endless speed thing.

in the pcar, its a bit noisy, big loud purring engine....infact, i'd argue at 50 it feels like 70 in the bmw. at 80, you feel like your cranking. frankly, thats pefect for me, since its abou tthe feel, the excitement...not the raw speed. you go through tough turns and the car bounces a bit....no super computer adjusting things for you. not sketchy but edgy.

less i digress more....so i'm whaling up to speed, and i have to sneeze. now you dont twant to make a habit of taking hands off the wheel while accelerating, then again, you dont really want nasty snot all over the carbon dash of michael jordans' 97' 993 turbo s. i sacraficed the sweatshirt. it wasnt pretty but it was the best of all choices. i didnt want mc'nasty all over the windshield or dash, and i wasnt about to put that thing into the guard rail either.... sneezing is dangerous.

cold weather out here on the east coast. is there a temperature you guys start adjusting for things? what kind of things do you do to take best care for your sweet hearts, and i'm not talking your human spouse.

Last edited by ZSA Motorsport; 10-15-2006 at 05:35 AM.
Old 10-15-2006 | 03:57 AM
pcar964
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

I'm not one that's impressed by celebrity-owned cars - but I have to say, MJ and Seinfeld would be near the top of my list for celebrity "cool factor."
Old 10-15-2006 | 05:47 AM
24FPS
Drifting

por favor ---> digress some more & post some pics will ya?

love to see it.

re: acceleration tactics... may want to get steve's opinion on that... he's a guru w/ the clutch & mad oldschool track skills.
personally i would not race those beautiful cars off the line. i'd enjoy them in the curves.

re: feeling like your moving faster in the 993's than other cars... i think the 993 crowd likes the raw feel of a 1960's designed driving position & windscreen for that very reason... though @ nice hwy speeds i catch myself going much faster than i feel...... maybe that's just purely driver euphoria

Last edited by 24FPS; 10-15-2006 at 06:03 AM.
Old 10-15-2006 | 05:52 AM
ZSA Motorsport
Former Vendor

i'll get some pictures up shortly. not racing them perse off the line but i think after car is fully warmed up, atleast with the bmw's, they needed to be pushed hard just a tad, here and there, just to get engine fully broken in...i wont over use or abuse that kind of classic animal, but u gotta believe they do need to be fully lubricated and taken upto higher rpms once and a while. atleast with the bmw's that was the case. heck, that bmw engine ddnt really coem alive till you had 8, 10k miles on it.

Originally Posted by 24FPS
por favo ---> digress some more & post some pics will ya?

love to see it.

re: acceleration tactics... may want to get steve's opinion on that... he's a guru w/ the clutch & mad oldschool track skills. personally i would not race those beautiful cars off the line. i'd enjoy them in the curves.
Old 10-15-2006 | 06:00 AM
24FPS
Drifting

cool. really look 4ward.

& i hear ya... we call that the ol' italian tune-up. blows the cobwebs outta' there along w/ some excess carbon build up (hopefully) & of course is friggin' fun! these cars do love the higher rpm range & run smoother when really driven............ sure you know. i swear after a nice funrun my 993 runs much better. ferry did an excellent job i must say. nice to hear you will be stretchin' the legs of the tt's from time to time. life is too short not to.
Old 10-15-2006 | 12:10 PM
brucec59
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by spg993tt
...in the pcar, its a bit noisy, big loud purring engine....infact, i'd argue at 50 it feels like 70 in the bmw. at 80, you feel like your cranking. frankly, thats pefect for me, since its abou tthe feel, the excitement...not the raw speed. you go through tough turns and the car bounces a bit....no super computer adjusting things for you. not sketchy but edgy.

less i digress more....so i'm whaling up to speed, and i have to sneeze. now you dont twant to make a habit of taking hands off the wheel while accelerating...sneezing is dangerous...
Maybe you need an alignment or new tires or something, because the car should feel very, very stable and smooth at 80 and higher. If you can't take one hand off the wheel while accelerating, something is seriously wrong.
Old 10-15-2006 | 01:52 PM
rkass
Racer

spg, although your s gets there faster from 1st to second, I've found that pausing for a nanosecond once you reach 6200 or so the putting into second seems to work the best. Go too deep to redline and never can get good shift (or smooth one). Go to shallow (4000 or less) and get similar unsmooth shift. The rest of the gears seam to flow pretty smoothly even at redline. I always try to shift at 5500, but seems like I just have got used to is so don't really look anymore. Not sure what I would do with your engine, so maybe none of this is relevant. Someone here said that when shifting if your car feels like it has a really smooth automatic transmission, you are doing it right and your clutch will last forever. Conversly, the more herky jerky the less life. Kind of applies to all things, no? Anyway, since I am on the east coast I would be more than happy to test drive them for you and give you a hands on opinion. Then I wake up from that dream.. Good luck

Quick Reply: Michael Jordan got hops // sneeze technique