Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Alarm Went Off in Middle of the Night for No Reason??

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2006, 10:10 AM
Hound Dog
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Alarm Went Off in Middle of the Night for No Reason??

Last night I was awakened by the alarm going off on my 993 in the driveway at about 3.00 am. I was in the middle of nowhere (literally, at our house in the NC mountains), so someone messing with the car was a near impossibility. It was cold and windy, about 35 F, and the car had been sitting up for about 4 or 5 hours after a "spirited" drive from Atlanta of a little more than 2 hours in duration. (Yes, it was a very fun drive.)

I've searched and found several threads on mysterious alarm activations and the most common thread had something to do with the battery going down/dead, but it rolled right over and cranked perfectly this morning. Another common thread was the wiring harness, which has already been changed.

Any thoughts? I'm here in the middle of nowhere, so if I need to run to an auto parts store or something - I need to do it today (Saturday), lest I get stuck here.

I'm a long time lurker, newbie (having just bought my car this summer), and very thankful for any thoughts you may have. I know basically . . . nothing about car repair (other than that I love my car and hope it doesn't have to be repaired). Yes, I'm planning a post with pics, as soon as I can do them justice.

Thanks in advance.
Old 10-14-2006, 10:19 AM
EndlessEarth
Instructor

I am in the NC mountains right now - Robbisnville. I was down in Tellico yesterday and they have pictures of wild boar, bears, and other nasty big critters that the hunters have bagged. One of the boars was 500 pounds. So, it is still possible for something to mess with your car down here. A game warden told me that the bears are coming down early this year looking for food. They have already darted and sent back four.

Summary: any new scratches in the paint? Did you have any food in the car?
Old 10-14-2006, 10:45 AM
95 C4 993
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Have you seen the movie Deliverance?
Old 10-14-2006, 11:02 AM
Hound Dog
Instructor

No food in the car, no scratches. I've seen Deliverance and paddled sections III and IV of the Chattooga where it was filmed many times. I'm a "ferr piece" from that territory though right now (at least far enough that a toothless guy carrying a banjo couldn't easily get here).
Old 10-14-2006, 11:30 AM
95 C4 993
Rennlist Member

Thunder or possibly a loud truck going by? My neighbors truck sets off alarms up and down the street all the time. His truck is annoying loud, but a nice vehicle.

Other guesses would be animals or someone trying to get in it.
Old 10-14-2006, 12:27 PM
Bull
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Had a similar experience a couple of years ago when my car was parked at my friends house (sitting on the trailer). We couldn't figure it out either. Later, we watched another truck sitting in the same spot, with squirrels bombarding it with large acorns from the trees above. Fortunately no dents or marks. Never parked there again and has never happened again.
Old 10-14-2006, 07:20 PM
Porssche4563
Track Day

I also had this happen to me....I was at a party and the car was parked on a steep grade of driveway. I was actually outside looking at the car and the alarm started going off. I checked the remote button to see if there was some problem with a stuck button...found nothing....

I have not had a problem since....note I have only the factory alarm...

David
Old 10-14-2006, 08:20 PM
EndlessEarth
Instructor

Originally Posted by 95 C4 993
Have you seen the movie Deliverance?

Speaking of, apparently they hunt the wild boar down here with dogs and after the dogs take it down the hunter will approach it and kill it with a knife.

...Then they take out the banjos.
Old 10-14-2006, 09:25 PM
Lawrence_P
Racer

Mine did that after a day and a half diving in the rain. After a day of false alarms, whatever got wet dried out and it stopped.
Old 10-14-2006, 11:25 PM
95 C4 993
Rennlist Member

[QUOTE=EndlessEarth]Speaking of, apparently they hunt the wild boar down here with dogs and after the dogs take it down the hunter will approach it and kill it with a knife.

Yep, completely aware of t hat. Im have a about 95% chance moving to NC (Raleigh) in the next 8 months for my next business venture. Sign me up, I hunt a boar with a knife.....well.....maybe 1x in my life.
Old 10-15-2006, 12:40 PM
Chuck W.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 357 Likes on 211 Posts

I had this happen once after installing an iPod incorrectly to a CDR-220.

Quick Reply: Alarm Went Off in Middle of the Night for No Reason??