Sponsored by:

Porsche Hood Crest question

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2006, 06:19 PM
2ndof2
Three Wheelin'

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Porsche Hood Crest question

Sunset just sent me a replacement hood crest that I plan to put on the car once the repaint is complete.

The crest they sent does not have threaded prongs to screw nuts onto the reverse side. Instead, this one has two press-on rivet type pieces that looks like a one-shot to get it right sort of thing.

With all of the stories about difficulty in putting these on and getting the rubber gaskets to seat properly I wondered if I should return them?

They said this is for a 996 and the only difference is that the Porsche lettering is black. Apparently this is not all that is different.

Whats the RL consensus here? Use it or send it back?
Old 10-13-2006, 06:28 PM
epj993
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The crest is attached with "speed nuts". The nuts press or screw on. The gasket has always been a challenge, but it can be done. If your old gasket is in good condition, clean it up with some Aerospace 303 and use it. Since it's already stretched out, it's shouldn't be as hard to attach.

Good luck!
Old 10-13-2006, 06:29 PM
2ndof2
Three Wheelin'

Ummm, I may want to withdraw this question. Parts dept tells me those little "press on" rivets are actually supposed to be "screwed on" and I may be wrong about what was on the car. So the parts person says they self-thread on the two pins. True?
Old 10-13-2006, 06:34 PM
2ndof2
Three Wheelin'

You beat me to the 2nd post Eric. Ok, so I was mistaken about those speed nuts. Unfortunately the old gasket slipped underneath the crest a bit and never was quite right. PO had apparently repainted the hood and front bumper at one point in the past (unbeknownst to me when I purchased the car). A few of those little minor details about the car were bothering me which is the reason I'm spending a small fortune to have the bumper, hood, splitters, and turbo s ducts resprayed with a new crest to top it off and have it done the right way. I'm going to be **** about driving behind other cars or anywhere there is a chance for paint chips until the paint is fully cured!
Old 10-13-2006, 07:11 PM
epj993
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 2ndof2
Ummm, I may want to withdraw this question. Parts dept tells me those little "press on" rivets are actually supposed to be "screwed on" and I may be wrong about what was on the car. So the parts person says they self-thread on the two pins. True?
Yes, that's true. Just take care and don't overtighten. It will compress the gasket & may strip/break the stud.

The edge of the gasket is actually more of a lip that the crest fits into - not just a raised portion that borders the crest. Look closely & you'll see what I mean.

With the gasket, I had luck supergluing a corner and then working the gasket around. Once most of the gasket was on I mounted it, but only snug. Then using a round toothpick I was able to get the gasket lip over the crest. Plan on an hour or so to get that thing on.
Old 10-13-2006, 07:18 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 235 Likes on 128 Posts

On the same topic,--what is with the silver hood emblems? Are they popular with certain colored Porsches? And why?
Old 10-13-2006, 10:17 PM
Chuck W.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 357 Likes on 211 Posts

I need to take mine off and reset the gasket. How do I get the plastic speed nuts off? I have gone through all of my tools and can't find anything to grasp them with. If I try to unscrew them they just spin.
Old 10-13-2006, 10:29 PM
Pedro356C
Drifting

Originally Posted by Edgy01
On the same topic,--what is with the silver hood emblems? Are they popular with certain colored Porsches? And why?
Dan...I loved your car's color...the most beautiful 997 so far!!!
Old 10-13-2006, 10:32 PM
csertich
Addict
Rennlist Member

I put a silver hood crest on my Polar Silver car because I just thought it looked better than the gold against my paint.
chuck

The gasket was a royal pain.....
Old 10-13-2006, 10:44 PM
Air Kuul TT
Race Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Chuck W.
I need to take mine off and reset the gasket. How do I get the plastic speed nuts off? I have gone through all of my tools and can't find anything to grasp them with. If I try to unscrew them they just spin.
Chuck,

When I replaced mine... I used this black "sticky" puddy like stuff (I think its used on a windshield) and I rolled it up into a little ball and put it in my deep socket (10mm I think). And it was able to grab the nut enough... the key is to lift the crest as you turn the nut and that will help pull the nut from the stem.

Good Luck.
Old 10-13-2006, 10:58 PM
2ndof2
Three Wheelin'

....or you can try parking it some place where a bunch of teenagers hang out and they will take the crest off your car for you while you enjoy good conversation at a friend's house. Come outside and the work will be done just like a full service carwash! How they pulled that off my 928 without damaging the hood I'll never know but I'm just glad they didn't thrash my paint. It was a good excuse to get a new one since the old crest was looking a bit tired after about 22 years anyhow!
Old 10-14-2006, 01:40 AM
Eharrison
Nordschleife Master

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I just get so aggitated with people sometimes. Ripping emblems off of hoods, keying cars. I just wish Karma frigging worked more than it does...
Old 10-14-2006, 01:42 AM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Pedro356C
Dan...I loved your car's color...the most beautiful 997 so far!!!

Well, you know it's a 993 color! thanks.
Old 10-14-2006, 01:44 AM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Chuck W.

Some of the best tools to own if you own that era Porsche are metric nut drivers,--they look like a screwdriver but terminate in metric allens, of varying sizes. Craftsman makes a nice set that has worked for me for many years. They are deep enough to reach into that area.
Old 10-14-2006, 02:11 AM
geolab
Rennlist Member

Received 182 Likes on 125 Posts

Some of the best tools to own if you own that era Porsche are metric nut drivers,--they look like a screwdriver but terminate in metric allens, of varying sizes. Craftsman makes a nice set that has worked for me for many years. They are deep enough to reach into that area.
Thats what I use to remove the hood crest.
The emblem-crest nuts look like snap on or rivets, but they are bizarre rubber edged nuts, twist type.
What is the story behind the silver hood crest? I saw it selling very expensive.
Called franky at zuffenhausen, and they have never heard of the silver crest.
They have got 4 different gold type crests in stock, but never silver.
Is it a US thing? Maybe PNA custom made them in the US?

Last edited by geolab; 10-14-2006 at 05:52 AM.

Quick Reply: Porsche Hood Crest question