Sponsored by:

Replacing Convertible top

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2006, 04:32 PM
Michaelcoe1
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Replacing Convertible top

I am replacing the top on my black 98 993. Can anyone offer advice on going with the American made vs German made material? The cost difference isnt large ~$100 and the person doing the works says there is no real difference between them.

Any guidance is appreciated as always.

Thanks
Carl
Old 10-13-2006, 04:37 PM
MarkD
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I just did this and went with the GAHH German canvas. I was told it was closer to the original material. I'm sure others here have more detailed info.
Old 10-13-2006, 05:36 PM
Wilder
Rennlist Member

Received 5,041 Likes on 1,794 Posts

I went with this:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/PORSC...QQcmdZViewItem

Cheap and excellent OEM quality. No affiliation yadi yada.
Old 10-13-2006, 06:04 PM
Rudolph
Advanced

LJ, Did you install your rich and famous top yourself? If so, any good how to sources? I've been debating installing a top myself during the winter or just biting the bullet and hiring a shop to do it.
Although, a friend of mine suggested a piece of duct tape would fix the dime sized hole I have in my top.
Old 10-13-2006, 06:53 PM
Scarabsport
Track Day

On my navy blue cab, ordered from JC Whitney a fabric repair kit with a little iron the size of a quarter, went to WalMart and bought a navy blue iron on denim repair patch. Cut a piece of fabric just big enough for the hole, bonded it to a piece of the same patch about 3x3, adhesive side to adhesive side with heat and then bonded the whole patch, denim side out , on the inside of the hole with the litle iron. The patch is now the strogest part of the top and doesn't look too bad. Guaranteed the hole will never get bigger. Of course I may end up with a 25 year old top with 200 little patches. I know, I know, I know, the words WalMart and JC Whitney should not be used in conjunction with the word Porsche but it is a driver.
Next week I am going to see if I can find some fender skirts and curb finders at JC Whitney for my 993. Then you'll all be jealous.
Old 10-13-2006, 09:15 PM
Wilder
Rennlist Member

Received 5,041 Likes on 1,794 Posts

Originally Posted by Rudolph
LJ, Did you install your rich and famous top yourself? If so, any good how to sources? I've been debating installing a top myself during the winter or just biting the bullet and hiring a shop to do it.
Although, a friend of mine suggested a piece of duct tape would fix the dime sized hole I have in my top.
I did a search for a DIY on the top and in the end opted to have it done. I think it's harder than it looks and requires experience with top installations specifically.

I sent it to a shop that charged me about $500. I actually had a shop patch mine before buying the new top but after 11 years, patches didn't fix the sad look of my old top and decided to replace the whole thing. It made a big difference in the overall look and condition of the car....money well spent.

If you decide not to replace yours, be sure to shorten the elastic bands that retract the top on the way down before you make the repair. This is what causes the pin holes to begin with. Good luck with it.
Old 10-13-2006, 10:39 PM
Berkley
Burning Brakes

Talking Like Mark

I used the German canvas with a new liner on my "95 993 last year...the shop did a great job, but it was not cheap

Quick Reply: Replacing Convertible top