Sponsored by:

Bilstein HD install question

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2006, 12:05 AM
SCMomentum
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Bilstein HD install question

My installer (Darin of West End in SoCal) has asked me if the shocks supplied by Viperbob have the Coil Spring Isolator included. It does not appear that it is. Anybody of a photo of one? or better yet, know what I am speaking of? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

btw, I did do a search and only found one post about it...which did not help much. Thanks in advance.

Dave
Old 10-13-2006, 12:10 AM
TRINITONY
Rennlist Member

Received 291 Likes on 237 Posts

I did my install and have no idea what that is. Someone else will chime in. Oh..and I also had viperbod's directions which made no mention of it.
Old 10-13-2006, 12:19 AM
jnx
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Same here, did my own install and do not know what you are speaking of.
Old 10-13-2006, 12:22 AM
24FPS
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i know exactly what you're talking about. i am awaiting a set from bilstien after speaking w/ gert over the web re: the isolators. gert did not have a clue what i was talking about... even after i supplied him w/ a part #.

from what i was shown & told they are perch mounted "washer-like" white plastic rims that set between the coil & the shock body. told they come stock on all u.s. rear shocks... not so for belgium ones.

darin did my install too... & loaned me some extras he had... w/ the promise that i'd replace them for him. $7 part btw.

gert said they are not necessary (to me)... that the shocks from him are the newest & latest from bilstien & stated further, he has sold of 100 sets of them & has never seen or heard of anything like this before.
Old 10-13-2006, 12:25 AM
jnx
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If it's the spacer washer type thing you are talking about, you are supposed to use your old ones. Look at the great instructions that Jeff in the air provided.
Old 10-13-2006, 12:29 AM
24FPS
Drifting

Originally Posted by jnx
If it's the spacer washer type thing you are talking about, you are supposed to use your old ones. Look at the great instructions that Jeff in the air provided.

the orig. items are/were used as both gert & jeff's instructions state (this is in addition to).... this is a very small part that perfectly fits the hd & is not present on the monroes, etc...

darin is a perfectionist to the highest degree (great talent tbh) & i do believe this has more to do w/ everything being perfectly installed... also, i do think he'd prefer we provide him w/ u.s. spec stuff. b/c he can get service from bilstien usa when in need of incidental parts & the occasional shock re-build etc... from what i've heard bilstien usa & europe are very separate & (in some cases) will not service parts from opposite sides of the pond.

btw: dave if vb gets his shocks from overseas, i'll bet they don't have the isolator as gert stated.

hope this info helps some of you.

had i to do this process over... i would tell darin to forego them & install w/o them..... more of a pain in the *** trying to beg bilstien to send me a set & the get them to westend!!!!! scheeeesh!

Last edited by 24FPS; 10-13-2006 at 12:45 AM.
Old 10-13-2006, 12:53 AM
TCallas
Rennlist Member

I have been dealing with this problem for years and every time I order the Bilstein HD's. The isolator ring is a very good idea so you limit or dampen the possible noise from the spring riding on the spring purchase. Over the last two days I have had a very difficult time getting these isolators so I have started cutting rings out of used Perlon carpeting from 911 front trunk carpeting. This seems to be working. We spoke to Bilstein and they feel these isolators are not necessary but I think it's because they are not available and that's the easy road for them, for now.
Old 10-13-2006, 01:07 AM
pstraub
Pro

Received 18 Likes on 3 Posts

Hi Dave, I believe you are talking about ref# 11 in the drawing. I removed the isolators off my stock rear shocks ('97 993) and moved them over to the new Bilsteins. It just kind of wedges between the lowest coil of the rear spring and the shock. Anyone feel free to correct me if I misunderstood the question. Paul
Old 10-13-2006, 01:08 AM
24FPS
Drifting

Originally Posted by TCallas
I have been dealing with this problem for years and every time I order the Bilstein HD's. The isolator ring is a very good idea so you limit or dampen the possible noise from the spring riding on the spring purchase. Over the last two days I have had a very difficult time getting these isolators so I have started cutting rings out of used Perlon carpeting from 911 front trunk carpeting. This seems to be working. We spoke to Bilstein and they feel these isolators are not necessary but I think it's because they are not available and that's the easy road for them, for now.

these are just for rears? or for all four? i understood this was for the rears"?"

thanks for your expert advice tony "we are not worthy..." said in my best wayne's world accent"... someone should make a dye & punch a few dozen out of the material you're using.

btw: pstraub... thx for the pic... it actually fits between the #1 & the perch covering almost the whole rim & has a slightly curled lip. (again, in additon to the part you mention).

Last edited by 24FPS; 10-13-2006 at 02:08 AM.
Old 10-13-2006, 01:59 AM
SCMomentum
Burning Brakes

Rich, Paul, Tony, et al....thanks a bunch.
I could have sworn that Darin stated that these are for the fronts. I will call tomorrow to clarify. He doesn't have any to loan because his are all being used by folks like Rich. I'll call Bilstein when I can find a good working number tomorrow to order a set (After TC's post I'm worried about the wait for these). What a pain in the butt to have to wait for this. Baby's got new shoes, wheels, suspension, sways, etc. and now I have to wait even longer...ugghhh!

Dave
Old 10-13-2006, 02:04 AM
TCallas
Rennlist Member

The ones that I am speaking of are for the front struts. I need to look at the rears Tomorrow to see what the issue is there. From what I heard from Bilstein Yesterday, I would not wait BUT I would improvise and make something work, I can give Darin a call Tomorrow.
Old 10-13-2006, 02:09 AM
24FPS
Drifting

i owe him a call too... b/c he's waiting for the part that i'm waiting for from bilstein. -doh-

you guys might be right... i think i flipped it. it must be the fronts.

pm' ya dave.
Old 10-13-2006, 02:14 AM
SCMomentum
Burning Brakes

Oh yea, almost forgot to mention...she also got one sweet tune-up & head to toe bill of good health from none other than Callas Rennsport recently. Thanks Tony....nothing but the best.

Dave
Old 10-13-2006, 03:01 AM
pstraub
Pro

Received 18 Likes on 3 Posts

Maybe we are speaking of different parts here, I just installed new Bilstein HD's and H&R Springs. The small isolator I referenced earlier was only on the REAR shocks. Here is a pic of the front and you dont need it there, because the spring is the same diameter all the way to the lower perch. On the rear, the spring coil diameter gets smaller as you get to the bottom, so it seems the isolator is needed to separate the bottom coil from the shock tube. My stock suspension was exactly like these 2 drawings, I re-used the rear isolators on my new Bilstein/H&R rears and my suspension guy said it looked good. Anyway, best of luck with this.....Paul
Old 10-13-2006, 03:12 AM
SCMomentum
Burning Brakes

Paul,
Thanks for all your input. I'm puzzled by Darin's insistence on this item. There is no doubt that he knows what he is doing and in conjunction with Tony's reaffirmation that it is indeed something nice to have, I am reluctant to install without. Actually, it seems that Darin won't until this part appears. I've waited long enough...a little more snooping around and phone call to Bilstein won't hurt. I'll make sure to post my results.

Dave
p.s. Where did you get the diagram of the shocks/parts, etc.?

Quick Reply: Bilstein HD install question