immobilizer problems / reset ? / double blink meaning

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2006, 11:04 AM
ZSA Motorsport
Former Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default blast from past / resolution

yo. what up homies!!! just figured i'd drop in for a few reasons;

1. update - artic bubble-car turbo s is resolved. was battery, atleast i think its resolved. new porsche original battery, charged, all set. no more starting issues. whew.
2. while i was at it, bot the 2 piece key/lighted head pieces from sunset for about $80/set and replaced all the keys. those switchblades are a disaster. who the heck thought of that thing?

3. but here is my additional question: i cant find the link and looked pretty good. i'm gonna take the batteries out of the cars for winter, etc. it might not matter but i could swear i read an acticle suggesting taking of the connectors on the battery in a certain order, that is, negative then positive, or positive then negative. excuse my ignorance, but if anyone knows, would be much appreciated.

fyi, some more photos of the cars can be found at http://www.trademanagellc.com

later,
steve
Old 11-08-2006, 02:05 PM
ceboyd
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

glad to hear the battery fixed it!

..but your link doesn't work.. it just says call for details (no photos show up for me anyway)
Old 11-08-2006, 02:29 PM
Slow Guy
Race Director

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by spg993tt
yo. what up homies!!! just figured i'd drop in for a few reasons;

3. but here is my additional question: i cant find the link and looked pretty good. i'm gonna take the batteries out of the cars for winter, etc. it might not matter but i could swear i read an acticle suggesting taking of the connectors on the battery in a certain order, that is, negative then positive, or positive then negative. excuse my ignorance, but if anyone knows, would be much appreciated.

steve
Think about it, with battery connected up and a wrench in your hand, you go to remove the POSITIVE cable, the wrench slips and touches metal, BIG ARCHY-SPARKEY and maybe black marks on your paint. Now, if you start at the beginning and do the NEG. term first and the wrench slips, nothing happens.

Always, taking OUT a battery, remove ground term. FIRST. If installing a battery, hook up POS first.

HTH. Glad to hear the battery resolved the orig. issue.
Old 11-08-2006, 03:39 PM
BIG-BRO
Racer

When replacing the battery in a 993, has anybody hooked up one of those "temporary" 9V batteries or a 12V to not set everything reset ?

If you remove battery:
1) Need radio code, right ?
2) Drive cycles for CEL start from scratch ?
3) Immobiliser - do you need to do anything "funky" ?

Thanks !

"BIG-BRO" is coming up on battery replacement.........
Old 11-08-2006, 07:28 PM
ZSA Motorsport
Former Vendor

i almost had to break out a index card and have my wife quiz me all day. funny, i can remember my phone# at my house from when i was 12years old but i shut your post and i couldnt remember. ensuring i have it right>

battery coming out.... NEGATIVE First, then positive.
battery going back in ...positive, then negative.

thx so much. i've always found a way to succeed despute the pea-sized portion of brain that i was alloted. thx for the patience.
one day it will sink it, and i can throw away the index card. for now, i'm taking it to thew arehouse wall.

FYI, is there any other way to get good ventillation and NOT take out battery.? of course, i took out battery today out of the seinfeld and the minute i did, i realized i had to move the car about 10 feet for a previously unknown, (or overlooked reason). so i pushed it.

is it THAT bad of an idea to LEAVE the battery in for extended 'winter' storage? would hate to find any corrosion or build up of crappo.

out is fine, it just creates that 15 minutes of work if you need to get it running.

Originally Posted by 993BillW
Think about it, with battery connected up and a wrench in your hand, you go to remove the POSITIVE cable, the wrench slips and touches metal, BIG ARCHY-SPARKEY and maybe black marks on your paint. Now, if you start at the beginning and do the NEG. term first and the wrench slips, nothing happens.

Always, taking OUT a battery, remove ground term. FIRST. If installing a battery, hook up POS first.

HTH. Glad to hear the battery resolved the orig. issue.
Old 11-08-2006, 11:22 PM
Slow Guy
Race Director

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by spg993tt
i almost had to break out a index card and have my wife quiz me all day. funny, i can remember my phone# at my house from when i was 12years old but i shut your post and i couldnt remember. ensuring i have it right>

battery coming out.... NEGATIVE First, then positive.
battery going back in ...positive, then negative.
Yes, unless you're working on an old MG......

That's why I made a feeble attempt at explaining why you do it that way. If you think about it for awhile the light will come on.

I worked w/ a guy many years ago who had a memory like the proverbial steel trap. He remembered the steps to several technical procedures that I, for the life of me couldn't remember. I finally had him right them down and I took a few hours to comprehend WHAT was being done during each step and then I had no problem remembering the steps.

I have the memory of a sieve.
Old 11-09-2006, 01:54 AM
JasonAndreas
Technical Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 112 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by ceboyd
I have been told it works in a 95 as well as 96 though 98 993s.
That (928-618-260-03) alarm control unit will also work in the model 964 (if you still have it). All you need to do is set the country and model code with a Bosch Hammer which you would also have to do for the 993.

Quick Reply: immobilizer problems / reset ? / double blink meaning