2 strange 993 problems

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2006, 08:13 PM
FSCCA
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2 strange 993 problems

Any help appreciated ("97 Cab):

1. When I turn off the ignition and remove the key, something in the dash keeps running. It sounds like a little pump or compressor motor. If I pull fuse #1 it stops and when I plug it back in, it will not start again unless I turn the ignition on. It is not the fan motor, but much quieter. None of the dash buttons or switches alter this noise.

2. The top will not close if the temp is below about 60 degrees. If I let the car sit in the warm garage for 5 minutes, it will close.

I am very . If I don't solve this soon, I will resort to

Thanks
Old 10-08-2006, 08:45 PM
the_buch
Rennlist Member

Received 84 Likes on 68 Posts

Noise 1 is common and reasonably normal. It is the small motor in the Climate Control Unit (CCU) which draws cabin air in over the temperature sensor. When it gets a bit fuzzy in there it has a tendency to run after the ignition is off for anywhere from one to twenty minutes depending on ambient temps and who knows what else.

My sunroof seems to get 'stuck' in the open position if I leave it open overnight and it's a bit on the cool side. Usually just needs a couple of on-and-offs with the key to get it working. Probably just some sort of relay that's on the way out??

Good luck, Doug
Old 10-08-2006, 08:45 PM
jimq
Burgled
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

1) fan on back of CCU. Runs 20 min or so after key is off. If key is turned on and off withing some short time it will only run a brief time.
2) move to florida
Old 10-08-2006, 10:22 PM
FSCCA
Instructor

Here is a little more info:

1. Sometimes the pump noise does not stop unitl it has totally drained my battery. Is there a timer relay that controls it?

2. My car is a cab (thanks anyway for the sunroof comment). Unfortunately, FL is not an option right now.

Old 10-10-2006, 01:16 AM
JasonAndreas
Technical Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 112 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by FSCCA
1. Sometimes the pump noise does not stop unitl it has totally drained my battery. Is there a timer relay that controls it?
If the little fan behind the climate control unit does not shut off after twenty minutes and instead drains your battery you might have a problem with component T1 on the main PCB. You would need to replace it with another BC337 transistor. If this (soldering) is not something you are comfortable with you can send it to Rennlist sponsor Systems Consulting or one of his dealers?
Old 10-11-2006, 12:48 AM
95cab
Instructor

among the various cab-related problems i've had, that is not one. sorry. is your ebrake fully engaged? also - if you're just going to put the top back down next time - leave it down - the strain on the mechanics isn't worth it.

Quick Reply: 2 strange 993 problems