Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

Urgent! Can a Porsche Baby Safe seat sit on the back seat?

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2006, 10:42 AM
RallyJon
Weathergirl
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

As a matter of fact, I just installed a "Cosco High Back" booster from Wal-mart based on earlier postings here. I removed the seatbelt and used the latch anchors, which required som extra parts. Not sure about your car, but the rear seatbelt on my '95 don't seem to have the racheting function, so the seat belt wouldn't lock tight.

The seat itself does fit very well--the front to back depth is shallower than most, so it sits farther back and allows some leg room for the kid. The quality is pretty lousy of course, but it passes the safety standards so it is OK from a safety perspective, just not very plush.

This is the one: http://www.coscojuvenile.com/product.asp?productID=906

Old 10-06-2006, 01:04 PM
Spuds993
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Jon,
I've got a 96 and the rear belts do ratchet, I wonder if you could simply replace the non ratcheting 95 belts with the ratcheting type from a 96 on?

Also, I was wondering if the seat you bought fits well in the rear seat base area? And, if your belts did ratchet would using the belt alone have worked?

Thanks!
Old 10-06-2006, 01:11 PM
RallyJon
Weathergirl
Rennlist Member

Also, I was wondering if the seat you bought fits well in the rear seat base area? And, if your belts did ratchet would using the belt alone have worked?
Yes, fits pretty well. Don't know how tightly they'd hold it down. The height of the stock seatbelt receiver is a bit of a problem--it'll likely get pulled behind the seat when cinched down.
Old 10-06-2006, 02:26 PM
sidned
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Thanks RallyJon. I've found it on the Walmart site for $38.82, so I've printed out the details.

Anyone know of a booster seat that will fit? I don't know how my daughter will like a full chair. She has a booster when travelling in the wife's car, so this might be a backward step for her!

She does prefer the Porsche if there is a choice, though!
Old 10-06-2006, 03:10 PM
RallyJon
Weathergirl
Rennlist Member

That one's easy--Britax Starriser. Discontinued but available at outlets or on Ebay: http://www.babyant.com/bv0120823.html

The replacement current model Britax Parkway seems to fit in 996s and 997s, so may work, too: https://rennlist.com/forums/showpost...1&postcount=20
Old 10-06-2006, 05:14 PM
Caveman
Rennlist Member

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

Update; The E-bay seller got back to me and said that they seat did fit as long as you took the seat back off! So I thought sod that and I'll leave it.

Cheers,

David
Old 06-24-2011, 01:10 PM
pacer
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 993 car seat not known where to get

I own a 1998 C4S and I have 2 young sons. I have tried and tried to find both an infant car seat and a booster that would be certified or known to work with 993 small foot print back seats. I am so frustrated because there does not seem to be one. Even my Porshe Dealership does not have an answer for me. Porsche does not even make one. I have found some suggestions on forum boards (usually from people in the UK), but they are from the late 1990's posted or even later, but mention seats that MIGHT work, or need great customization by drilling and attaching brackets in the back of the car. For those who do not know, the 993 was 1995 through 1998. My 2 year old gets in the back of the car and says, "Go Dad, go". And it breaks my heart because I can not take the little guy for a ride, because no one manufactures a safe, certified seat to fit the small footprint and to be secured.
Old 06-24-2011, 04:42 PM
911Jetta
Rennlist Member

Received 485 Likes on 278 Posts

**** Note: my experience is with a 964...size, location, etc. might be different with a 993 ******

The 911 experience needs to be shared with the family!

As my kids have grown, I've moved them to either side of the car depending on their size or seat requirement. See my link (here) for what's worked for me (applies to US model only?).

The Costco booster in my car perfectly fit the narrow seat bottom space of the backseats...that said, I wouldn't use any from facing seats without also using the upper tether mounts. Even though the seats fit perfectly on the seat bottoms, the seat belt buckle attachment point is too far forward and would cause most seats to rock forward during heavy braking. The upper tether mount prevents this from happening. I've included some pictures below.

Good luck.
Attached Images     

Quick Reply: Urgent! Can a Porsche Baby Safe seat sit on the back seat?