Sloooowwwww Speedo

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2006, 02:38 PM
swftiii
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
Default Sloooowwwww Speedo

Yes, I know my driving skills have a lot to do with my slow speedo...

In addition to my slow driving, I'm having a problem with my speedo. The needle is moving more slowly than my speed changes. When acelerating it is only a little behind the changes, but when slowing down it can take a good amount of time to catch up.

For example: When accelerating through 2nd gear to about red line the speedo tops out at 50mphs when I shift to 3rd and then takes a good 3-5 seconds to catch up to my consistent speed after that. On the other side when stopping at a red light from 45mph to 0mph it can take the needle a good 8-10 seconds to catch up.

I've had the speedo checked by North Hollywood Speedo and it is functioning fine, so it needs to be in a speed sensor or somewhere else. My shop asked me to check a couple of things and I did - the cruise controls still works and will accel/decel quickly, the rear spoiler still comes up at the right speed, and the ABS still works under hard braking.

So - anyone dealt with this or have an idea of what could be causing this? I have the club race this weekend - is there any safety issue that could stem from these symptoms?

Thanks a bunch,
-Skip
Old 10-04-2006, 02:55 PM
X2Board
Pro

Received 94 Likes on 50 Posts

I don't think you will have any safety issues, cover the speedo and drive by the tach. It's easier than it sounds.

X2
Old 10-04-2006, 10:25 PM
swftiii
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Thanks X2. We'll see if the track time will help fix the problem.

Skip
Old 10-04-2006, 10:37 PM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Received 499 Likes on 320 Posts

Skip,

Well it sounds like you have the perfect excuse at the ready: your car is stuck in a time-space warp where nothing moves quickly.

Sorry, I am of no help. See you on Friday.

Quick Reply: Sloooowwwww Speedo