Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Rennline inner door handles... how do I get the old ones off?

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2006, 08:42 PM
Thaddeus
Deer Slayer
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Rennline inner door handles... how do I get the old ones off?

Hey,

I bought some bling for the red thing in my garage: aluminum Rennline inside door handles. I thought the plastic a bit flimsey for my fine ride.

The aluminum handles came without instructions.

I have had the door panel off once before, so I know how to unhook the rod that attaches halfway... but the hinge pin looks like it's pressed in. How does one remove it? I'm thinking I will try to remove the speaker enclosure, then the handle, and press or slide the pin out some way... is that how to do it? has anybody done it? I don't want to mess up my car...

Thanks in advance.
Old 10-03-2006, 11:42 PM
Thaddeus
Deer Slayer
Lifetime Rennlist

OK, here's how I installed rennline aluminum door handles:

(1) remove the speaker cover panel. 7 screws, including the one inside the 'secret compartment'.
(2) remove the speaker enclosure. 4 screws.
(3) move handle to 'open' position, pop out metal actuator arm.
(4) gently pry top of hinge pin with a flat-blade screwdriver so it slides down enough that you can grab it from the bottom with needlenose pliers, pull it out. Handle comes off.
(5) remove plastic snap-bushing from existing handle. Insert it in new handle. TIP: mine would not stay in, the metal flange it goes through was a tab too thick for the plastic tabs to grab. I took a big drill bit and used it to scrape a little bit away from the hole (basically, countersinking the hole a little bit). I did this by hand, not with a drill... the metal is soft, and a power drill would make the bit slam right through, and you'd be hosed. If yours requires this adjustment, twist the drill bit by hand.
(6) Position the new handle in place and re-set the hinge pin. If you need more than finger pressure the tabs aren't aligned. Be gentle and wiggle the handle until everything slides together.
(7) Pull out the actuator arm and hold it out with your needlenose pliers. Pop it down into the plastic snap bushing. NOTE: as the metal shaft passes through the snap bushing, it spreads the plastic tabs out and 'sets' it in the hole. You should feel a satisfying 'pop' as it sets.
(8) reattach and tighten the speaker enclosure.
(9) reattach the door panel/pocket.
(10) Play with the new handles, step back, and admire the blingitude.

No warranty expressed or implied. Use these instructions at your own risk. No affiliation with the maker/vendor of these handles. I like them, though.

Old 10-04-2006, 09:16 AM
cabrio993
Race Car

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Good job! I was contemplating doing the same thing but by looking at your post times I see that it only took you 3 hours.
Old 10-04-2006, 11:33 AM
Thaddeus
Deer Slayer
Lifetime Rennlist

Actually, it only took about 45 minutes... part of that 3 hours I was dialed in doing network changes for my job.

Quick Reply: Rennline inner door handles... how do I get the old ones off?