Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

wiring harness recall: "while you're in there" work?

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2006, 03:06 PM
LuftKopf
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

when I was talking to my local svc dept recently he mentioned that the sensor "gets rusty back there" so I might want to change it during the process...also mentioned that it's likely no add'l labor to do, since they're in there.
Old 10-25-2006, 05:37 PM
mborkow
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i got this recall letter as well (MY 96), but i think i am going to ignore it...i don't want the stealership touching my car.
Old 10-25-2006, 05:55 PM
JasonAndreas
Technical Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 112 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by froogleyankee
when I was talking to my local svc dept recently he mentioned that the sensor "gets rusty back there" so I might want to change it during the process
There is a spring inside the sensor but springs still work when they're rusty...

Old 10-26-2006, 09:13 AM
Gweedo
Instructor

Originally Posted by mborkow
i got this recall letter as well (MY 96), but i think i am going to ignore it...i don't want the stealership touching my car.

Trust me, the thought crossed my mind. I was sick to my stomach leaving it with them. But if Porsche did a recall there is a good chance you will have problems if you don't do it. Recalls are not cheap and Porsche isn't in the business of pissing money away.

Then there are resale issues, not to mention if the harness really ****s the bed and you have intermittent problems, or worse, an engine fire. Don't be short-sighted.

My $.02
Old 10-26-2006, 03:20 PM
ca993twin
Nordschleife Master

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts

mborkow,

I was thinking about posting the same message as Gweedo. Only he said it better. I'd also advise you getting the recall. I would provide a "demo" to the service writer first, showing that EVERYTHING is working ok... be sure to include a demo of the H/AC controls, and the computer display.
Old 10-26-2006, 03:49 PM
mborkow
Drifting

ca993twin, gweedo; thanks for your concern (sincerely). i did have a new wiring harness installed on my car when i had the valve job done 2 years ago so i don't think this should be an issue for quite some time. i have an oil change in another month and i will discuss it with my mechanic (he knows my car better than i do, and better than anyone at the dealership). i'd love to have him do the work on porsche's dime, but i am not sure that is an option. in the interum though, since my current harness is only 2 years old, i think i ought to be good for some time yet...no?
Old 10-26-2006, 04:21 PM
Gweedo
Instructor

ca993twin, gweedo; thanks for your concern (sincerely). i did have a new wiring harness installed on my car when i had the valve job done 2 years ago so i don't think this should be an issue for quite some time. i have an oil change in another month and i will discuss it with my mechanic (he knows my car better than i do, and better than anyone at the dealership). i'd love to have him do the work on porsche's dime, but i am not sure that is an option. in the interum though, since my current harness is only 2 years old, i think i ought to be good for some time yet...no?
Actually, if you paid to have that harness put it two years ago, Porsche will reimburse you! You can send me 10% as a finder's fee Assuming they installed the new one correctly. Why did they put a new one in?
Old 10-26-2006, 05:09 PM
ca993twin
Nordschleife Master

Dang that Gweedo is good, and just beat me out of 10%. Yes, bring your receipt for the Harness and the Labor, and Porsche will reimburse you. Hmmmm... I wonder if this reimbursement was their motivation for reducing the labor hours to an impossible 6, and the harness repair kit to a paltry $90? Talk to your dealer and let me know. Do NOT discuss this with Gweedo.
Old 10-26-2006, 05:56 PM
mborkow
Drifting

Why did they put a new one in?
it was one of those while i was in there (getting a valve job doe) things...my mechanic said that the old harness was a little "crispy" and he went on line and saw that a new harness was only $150 and he didnt' charge me any additional labor (obviously).
Old 10-26-2006, 06:00 PM
ca993twin
Nordschleife Master

mborkow,

To answer an earlier question... no, you should not need to ever change that harness again. On the reimbursement... since you did TWO things (valve job and harness), Porsche may offer you some reasonable middle ground for the labor. Or you can claim you did the harness, and then later decided to do the valve job... as long as the engine was half-way out anyway. Let your conscince be your guide. But you should get something!
Old 10-26-2006, 06:10 PM
mborkow
Drifting

oh, i like that: the valve job was really the "while i was in there" during the harness replacement...sorta like the tail wagging the dog!
Old 10-26-2006, 07:00 PM
Jeff96-993
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I thought the amount paid after the fact was a set amount... you should get that regardless of what your bill shows...

Of course I thought the payment only covered replacements prior to the recall... after the recall I thought (and I could be mistaken and not remembering correctly) it had to be done at the dealer.

The reason it came up back when I had mine replaced was the same as originally posted in this thread... I DIDN'T WANT THE DEALER TOUCHING MY CAR!!!!

I asked for them to give me a harness and I'd do it myself. They said no, the recall specifically called out for replacement at the dealer or authorized repair shop. Not sure if I asked to see that in writing... too bad EJ's not around he could chime in on the specific wording.

I spent a few days getting things back to normal in the engine bay when it turned out as I expected... unhooked vacuum lines, misrouted cables, disconnected sensors, etc. Idiots...
Old 10-26-2006, 07:55 PM
mborkow
Drifting

They said no, the recall specifically called out for replacement at the dealer or authorized repair shop
i think that is because the shop wants to get in on the action (they must get reimbursed by PAG)
Old 10-27-2006, 11:06 AM
Gweedo
Instructor

Originally Posted by ca993twin
Dang that Gweedo is good, and just beat me out of 10%. Yes, bring your receipt for the Harness and the Labor, and Porsche will reimburse you. Hmmmm... I wonder if this reimbursement was their motivation for reducing the labor hours to an impossible 6, and the harness repair kit to a paltry $90? Talk to your dealer and let me know. Do NOT discuss this with Gweedo.

Old 10-27-2006, 11:46 AM
MarkD
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

i think that is because the shop wants to get in on the action (they must get reimbursed by PAG)
Actually, I'll bet that is their lawyers' call. They don't want to provide you with a part and end up being potentialy liable for a problem "down the road"
Or I guess likely both $ and lawyers... (Warren Zevon song comes to mind... )

I had a recall on a tractor last year (yes, a tractor) and I had to beg and plead that the guy to send me the hydraulic fittings so I could do it myself (it's a pain to get a tractor to a dealer). Then they wanted me to return the part as proof it had been done. This is a result of our litigious society.

Quick Reply: wiring harness recall: "while you're in there" work?