Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

My cabin blowers are not running at all.

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2006, 01:23 AM
mgianzero
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
Default My cabin blowers are not running at all.

Sorry if this topic has been discussed before, but I did not find a solution to my problem in any of the archives. So here goes ...

My 1996 993 was running great until a few days ago when I attemped to turn on the A/C for some cool air. The A/C switch seems to turn on, but the blower has no response at any speed. The fresh air seems to have no response either. I checked my fuse box (luggage compartment) and all fuses seem okay.

What do I do next? Is there a fuse or something I'm not examining? I just recently changed out my highbeam bulbs and tweaked my HID's. Could the problem be related to this? Ideas?
Old 09-29-2006, 02:03 AM
The Brewmeister
Rennlist Member

Received 38 Likes on 33 Posts

There are some relays that control your HVAC system as well. I'm new to the
993 model so I'm probably not the best person for advice but I'm sure some others will chime in with their expertise!

Old 09-29-2006, 11:41 AM
Sooner
Rennlist Member

Received 28 Likes on 13 Posts

Brewmeister is correct. There is a relay in the fuse box in the engine compartment. The box is on the left hand side & the lid is held on by 3 or 4 plastic nuts. I can't remember which relay is the A/C fan, but I had an issue with this last year & it was just a loose relay.
Old 09-29-2006, 12:04 PM
mgianzero
Rennlist Member

Guys, I certainly appreciate your help. However, I think I did not make myself clear. The blower that is not working are the CABIN blower fans (2 on each side by pollen filters). The rear fuse block (if I am not mistaken) is reserved for primarily engine wiring and rear electrical devices.

But, just to make an argument for your side, I did swap around all three relays which control the blowers on the car (2 in front and 1 in the rear) with no difference.

When I select either A/C buttons (snowflakes) I can hear a slight wine as though a servo has been acitvated. However, there is absolutely NO blower activation at all fan speeds. The same goes for just fresh air ... no blowers go on up front.
Old 09-29-2006, 05:30 PM
Sooner
Rennlist Member

Received 28 Likes on 13 Posts

There is a relay on the rear panel for the cabin blower, that's the relay that my mechanic found loose. I was not getting high speed defroster operation, & that fixed it. If you swapped around the relays though, sounds like it's something else causing your issue.
Old 09-30-2006, 12:11 PM
rkass
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

do you have vacumm? check under drivers side of dash and look for thin white tubing connecting to a rubber 90 degree connector. in front of car under panel that hides servos, the middle servo (more to the left than in the middle) should have similar tubing connected to it. From what you are describing not sure if it is the "wheeze" (ie reduced or almost nonexistent airflow from a/c or fresh air due to lack of vacumm to allow system to work) or just dead motors. If it's not the motors search for brian smith's posts - he is pretty knowledgeable re: this issue if it is vacuum related.

I had problem where middle servo died, leaving flap in closed position so I got no fresh airflow. You can manually leave flap open and as long as you have vacumm you will get air. I eventually replaced servo. good luck with issue.
Old 09-30-2006, 08:34 PM
mgianzero
Rennlist Member

No, I doubt my problem is vacuum related. There is absolutely NO air blowing, thus no wheeze noise. This is telling me it is an electrical problem, not vacuum. Also, BOTH front blowers are not working, not just one.

When I activate the A/C (snowflake buttons), I can hear a bit of noise which sounds like it may be the vacuum actuated servos. But I definitely have no fans blowing air at any A/C level or even just fresh air.

I was working on my HID's in the front, which makes me think I could have inadvertantly disconnected something, but I don't see where this may have happened.

I appreciate all the suggestions thus far. I may have to get a voltmeter to check which wires are hot going to the blowers.

Quick Reply: My cabin blowers are not running at all.