Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

Bosch hammer and other programming questions

Old 09-28-2006, 11:27 PM
Lorenfb
Race Car

Received 61 Likes on 54 Posts

If the DME is the 55 pin unit w/o the immobiliizer (& non-immobilizer DME chip), then the
alarm unit just eliminates +12 from pin 27 on the DME to prevent running.
Old 09-28-2006, 11:44 PM
nile13
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 90 Likes on 57 Posts

If that is teh case, I should try and measure the voltage on pin 27, I assume. From there... jump pin 27 to +12 in that harness?

That still doesn't quite explain how to make this 00 box work, and whether it's supposed to work in place of 01 box at all.

My assumption has been that it's just a function of programming. Am I incorrect on that?
Old 09-28-2006, 11:44 PM
JasonAndreas
Technical Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 112 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by nile13
I do not have immobilizer in my car.
What is the Porsche & Bosch part number on your DME control unit?

when the alarm box is removed from my car, the car cranks but does not start. How would that be explained?
If the alarm is activated or (i think) if the alarm control unit is removed from the car then Term 15 (switched power) going to the DME control unit is interrupted and so fuel and ignition is shut off.

The alarm functionality is a little criptic
With the hammer after you connect to the alarm control unit and the main menu is displayed, something like:

DTC Memory (or Fault codes)
Drive-Link
Input Signals

but if you scroll to the right additional (hidden) menus will pop up

Country Codes
Result Memory
System Check
Remote Control
Vehicle Type

and under "Vehicle Type" you want to select, "911 Carrera (993)"

and under "Remote Control" you want it set to "Off"

and under "Country Codes" select "3" USA.
Old 09-29-2006, 12:04 AM
JasonAndreas
Technical Guru
Rennlist Member

The alarm box I have is a 01 part number. The second box I'm trying is a 00 part number. The no-start condition exists when I take my 01 box out. It is the same condition, whether the 00 box is connected or not.
The reason you might not be finding the extra menus for the vehicle type and remote control (immobilizer) is that they don't exist on the software version 0 alarm units. What is the entire part number on your alarm control units?
Old 09-29-2006, 01:16 AM
Lorenfb
Race Car

Received 61 Likes on 54 Posts

"If the alarm is activated or (i think) if the alarm control unit is removed from the car then Term 15 (switched power) going to the DME control unit is interrupted and so fuel and ignition is shut off."

Right! Term 15 to alarm unit to pin 27 (run) of DME, if NO alarm condition.
Old 09-29-2006, 01:45 AM
nile13
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by JasonAndreas
The reason you might not be finding the extra menus for the vehicle type and remote control (immobilizer) is that they don't exist on the software version 0 alarm units. What is the entire part number on your alarm control units?
Jason, the control units are 928 618 260 00 and 01, I believe.

My DME is 163, but I don't recall the full number. Jerry was mentioning that the hammer can't see the DME, but did not elaborate.

PS. BTW, how far are you out West? I'll be in Amherst on Saturday...
Old 09-29-2006, 01:48 AM
nile13
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Lorenfb
Right! Term 15 to alarm unit to pin 27 (run) of DME, if NO alarm condition.
So pin 15 is directly connected to pin 27? And if I connect either pin to +12 it should work?

The concern is not to fry the innards of the alarm box if the pin 27 is tied directly to ground and not just floating. And it would be a bit too ghetto of a solution...

No alarm condition, I assume, is not the setting, but rather the fact that the doors are open properly and alarm is not blaring?
Old 09-29-2006, 01:52 AM
nile13
Addict
Rennlist Member

Jason, the Hammer seemed to have asked for the country code, but not the car type or remotes... It also asked for Anti-drive on-off and something like output (?) on/off.
Old 09-29-2006, 05:09 AM
JasonAndreas
Technical Guru
Rennlist Member

the control units are 928 618 260 00 and 01, I believe.
The 928-618-260-00 was used from MY91-94 in the 964. In addition to possibly not working with your DME control unit your interior lighting is not going to operate the same. But I can't locate any documentation that says yes or no that it will work. In theory it should but... Do you have Adrian's 993 book? There is always the chance that this particular issue is already covered. Any ideas what's wrong with your original 01 unit?

Jerry was mentioning that the hammer can't see the DME, but did not elaborate.
Was the DME control unit responding with the working 01 alarm control unit plugged in? The same thing that keeps the engine from starting will prevent the 993 DME control unit from responding to diagnostic requests.

how far are you out West? I'll be in Amherst on Saturday...
About 45 minutes from Amherst.

the Hammer seemed to have asked for the country code, but not the car type or remotes
928-618-260-00 contains an old version of software which only allows the country code selection as an option, it doesn't support remote functionality or multiple vehicle types.

It also asked for Anti-drive on-off and something like output (?) on/off.
Those are in the drive-link menus, the "Anti-drive-off" feature will temporarily stop the engine from starting and the "External Output" is for triggering other control units (e.g. ultrasonic monitoring of the interior, etc.)

So pin 15 is directly connected to pin 27? And if I connect either pin to +12 it should work?
Term 15 is Porsche's generic name for switched +12V and is located on pin #6 (small connector) and pin #18 (large connector) at the alarm control unit. I only saw Loren's message after I posted and probably should have deleted what I wrote to reduce any confusion.
Old 09-29-2006, 02:16 PM
nile13
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by JasonAndreas
The 928-618-260-00 was used from MY91-94 in the 964. In addition to possibly not working with your DME control unit your interior lighting is not going to operate the same. But I can't locate any documentation that says yes or no that it will work. In theory it should but... Do you have Adrian's 993 book? There is always the chance that this particular issue is already covered. Any ideas what's wrong with your original 01 unit?
The central door locking and lighting actually works absolutely fine with the 00 box, it's just that the car doesn't start
I don't have Adrian's book, no. Somewhere I have a factory 993 wiring diagram but I've been leaving out of suitcases between here and Europe for the last year, so it's impossible to find anything.

The original 01 unit got, shall we say, wet. The central locking is completely dead. the red lights on the doors stay on.

The guy who sold me the 00 box assured me that it came from a 993. I'll press him again, but I'm afraid it's a lost cause.

Was the DME control unit responding with the working 01 alarm control unit plugged in? The same thing that keeps the engine from starting will prevent the 993 DME control unit from responding to diagnostic requests.
That is a very good question. We did not try to connect the Hammer with my 01 box attached, only with 00.

So... is it a dead 00 box, possibly? Or is it simply not compatible?

About 45 minutes from Amherst.
Jason, I don't want to impose, but if we could, perhaps, cross path on Saturday... Would it be at all possible? Beer's on me

928-618-260-00 contains an old version of software which only allows the country code selection as an option, it doesn't support remote functionality or multiple vehicle types.
Which means that I can't set it in a 00 box and use it in a 993? Even an early one like my April 94 car?

Term 15 is Porsche's generic name for switched +12V and is located on pin #6 (small connector) and pin #18 (large connector) at the alarm control unit. I only saw Loren's message after I posted and probably should have deleted what I wrote to reduce any confusion.
OK, understood. But the question remains, is it floating, or is it pulled hard to ground? If it's floating, I'm assuming that tying it to +12V should let the car start. On the other hand, if the 00 alarm box prevents the Hammer from seeing the DME, it's not a good thing at all.

Would you have an extra 01 box floating around that you'd look to sell?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Bosch hammer and other programming questions