993 Forum 1995-1998

Lightened Flywheel

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2006, 02:03 AM
nile13
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 90 Likes on 57 Posts

Let's look at it in a bit more layman's terms (as my last college physics classes were 15+ years ago). Where does the energy go in case of heavier flywheel?

More interestingly, you state that there will be a difference in top end power. Where does that difference come from, if the engine's momentum and power did not change?
Old 09-22-2006, 02:05 AM
Mac Schnell
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Huh?
Old 09-22-2006, 02:13 AM
RallyJon
Weathergirl
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Where does the energy go in case of heavier flywheel?
The energy goes to change the heavier flywheel's speed.
More interestingly, you state that there will be a difference in top end power. Where does that difference come from, if the engine's momentum and power did not change?
A better way to think about it is that the engine makes the same amount of power, it just uses less of it to accelerate the flywheel, so has more of it left over to accelerate the car.
Old 09-22-2006, 08:51 AM
dhicks
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This has all been discussed before and before and before......do a search.......the LFW is a real great edition to post 95 cars........yes it is less expensice than repplacing a Dual mass.....the noise is troublesome to some owners and they dont like it others (me included) like it......and YES it accelerates faster......the wind up in first and second was very noticible in my car.....seat of the pants but others who got into the discussion (terry from above included....do the search for the physics lesson) really did prove the point..........JUST DO IT.....now where have I heard that before
Old 09-22-2006, 09:00 AM
mborkow
Drifting

here is how LWF works: http://www.uucmotorwerks.com/flywhee...heel_works.htm
Old 09-22-2006, 09:04 AM
dhicks
Drifting

Good link ... thanks
Old 09-22-2006, 09:42 AM
mborkow
Drifting

no problem.
Old 09-22-2006, 10:23 AM
sidned
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mborkow
i thought that with the C4(S) you had to drop the engine...learn something new here every day.

Crap! You're right, I didn't pay attention that original post asked about C4.
I've just booked my C4 in for a new clutch and the mechanic says the engine does not have to come out. I stressed that it is a C4 and he says he has done 4's before and not had to drop the engine. Is this correct, or is he going to lump me with a big bill when I come to collect? He is quoting 8 hours to swap the clutch out. does this sound about right?

Sorry to hijack the thread, but if the engine is coming out I want to do the plugs and wires and all the other bits that I need to order first!
Old 09-22-2006, 11:07 AM
Brent Spinks
Instructor

It would be hard to describe the noise as "faint". When you are stopped, with the clutch disengaged it's loud as hell. I hate the way it sounds, but I love the way it feels. My guess is that anyone who describes the sound as faint is running an aftermarket exhaust and just can't hear it as well.

I was sitting in a parking lot the other day with the car idling (fishing for a cd or something) and a bystander informed my that it sounded like something was going to fall off of my "poorsh". I got out, took a listen and it was the rocks in a blender sound of the LWF.

Having said all that the LWF is a noticeable "seat of the pants" upgrade to these cars.
Old 09-22-2006, 11:11 AM
dhicks
Drifting

Its not just on idle.........you can really hear it under acceleration in 1st and 2nd gears esp or if you have let the revs go too low in 3rd and then accelerate..........and yes I do have an after market exhaust....maxflow.....and I still hear those rocks in my blender!!!!........however, open the windows and listen to the exhaust sound and the gravelly (is that a word?) sound goes away.......its worth the increased acceleration
Old 09-22-2006, 11:57 AM
95 C4 993
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If I were to do it all over again, I probably wouldnt do a LWF. I dont see any signifcant increase in drivabily, performance, or huge positives of it. Yea, I know there are those who will swear up and down by it but at the end of the day for your average driver-nothing life changing to make a difference. Im speaking on the 95 behalf-other years may have a different opinion.
Old 09-22-2006, 12:06 PM
Brent Spinks
Instructor

Now that I think about it I may notice it more because my top and windows are always down when I'm driving the car. Once the supercharger kicks in though, that's the only sweet, sweet music I hear.
Old 09-22-2006, 12:32 PM
Surj-993C2S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 11 Posts

want less noise? buy a lexus.

Its a Porsche - its loud and its brilliant, the lwf gives your car quicker 'reflexes', no doubt.
It also turns heads - add in the drilled airbox and rsrs (or similar) and you're in nirvana.

Old 09-22-2006, 01:27 PM
nile13
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 90 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by RallyJon
The energy goes to change the heavier flywheel's speed.A better way to think about it is that the engine makes the same amount of power, it just uses less of it to accelerate the flywheel, so has more of it left over to accelerate the car.
But flywheel is just a capacitor. Once the energy went to accelerate it, it'll be given back to the drivetrain. In other words, it doesn't just disappear.
Old 09-22-2006, 01:30 PM
RallyJon
Weathergirl
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

When will it be "giving back" the stored energy? Right, when you're braking. So it will heat up your brakes more, too.

Quick Reply: Lightened Flywheel