Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Labor Time to Replace Spark Plugs?

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2006, 02:53 AM
JM993
Banned

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

You may want to reference my post on how to do this job without taking anything (muffler, engine tin, etc) apart.

Search using this: Just Replaced All Spark Plugs W/O Taking Anything Apart!!!!

Cheers
Old 09-21-2006, 07:55 AM
Marv
Rennlist Member

Received 1,046 Likes on 559 Posts

Well, I think the bill for me is going to be a big one and it's some of my fault. The dealer is replacing the plugs and one O2 sensor, plus the diagnostic time. There are a few other trivial things, but they are quoting 8 to 10 hours of labor!

Yesterday they called and said that it would be prudent to replace the spark plug wires and caps due to misfires on bank two. The teeth grinder was the quote for the wires - $900!!! At that point I told them I would provide the wires. Vertex had them for $380. However, they quoted 4 hours to do the install.

Now I have reinforcement as to why I do my own repairs in the past. I would have DIY this too, but I no longer have a garage or tools after moving. All I have is a carport and a Swiss Army knife.

On the up side the dealer has provided a 2006 Audi A4 as a loaner. However, at the rates they are charging they probably should have provided a 2007 997 TT.

I let you know what the final kill is, err, I mean bill...
Old 09-21-2006, 08:26 AM
SwayBar
Race Car

Received 322 Likes on 221 Posts

Originally Posted by jmarch
You may want to reference my post on how to do this job without taking anything (muffler, engine tin, etc) apart.

Search using this: Just Replaced All Spark Plugs W/O Taking Anything Apart!!!!
Link-age: https://rennlist.com/forums/showthre...s+W%2FO+Taking
Old 09-21-2006, 12:59 PM
geolab
Rennlist Member

Received 182 Likes on 125 Posts

Originally Posted by Marv
At that point I told them I would provide the wires. Vertex had them for $380. However, they quoted 4 hours to do the install.

Blue, Black, & Red Beru plug wire leads available: $139 set

https://rennlist.com/forums/993-forum/299775-blue-black-and-red-beru-plug-wire-leads-available-139-set.html
Old 09-21-2006, 02:03 PM
99firehawk
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

4 hours for the wires is a good deal
Old 09-21-2006, 07:34 PM
Marv
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 99firehawk
4 hours for the wires is a good deal
That much I can accept. However, it still isn't done. They have everything else done, but they were short 6 spark plugs. Now I have to wait another day.

They had it for a week now. I would have expected that they had ordered plugs before they started the job so that all the parts were there, but instead they ordered an O2 sensor and six spark plugs, then find out that they need to order another six plugs.
Old 09-21-2006, 08:02 PM
993inNC
Race Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I just did my plugs, wires (including ends), caps, rotors and both upper VC gaskets. The "book" called for 10 hours not including the VC's. It took me every bit of 10 hours including doing my wheel well cleaning and cleaning the plastic bits that come off to do the tune up. I'd give the VC's 2 hours and the well cleaning 2 hours, the rest was the tuneup. 4 hours for just plugs sounds insanely high. I was on my back on the garage floor and did them all in probably 1 1/2 hours. The wires were the biggest PITA because they route behind the fan shroud.

They ordered 6 plugs, and THEN realized they needed 6 more? hmmm, I would take issue with these guys. Sounds like they haven't a CLUE
Hope it all works out Marv, hate to see you in a new place and have prob's already with the new wrench.
Old 09-22-2006, 07:33 AM
Gweedo
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

a time unit is a time unit dude, maybe its diffrent in france.
It's because of the metric system
Old 09-22-2006, 07:55 AM
Marv
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Gweedo
It's because of the metric system
That's true. Everyone knows that a New York minute can be faster than a metric second.

Add Special and General Relativity to the equation and it's enough to make your head spin.
Old 09-22-2006, 08:29 AM
geolab
Rennlist Member

a time unit is a time unit dude, maybe its diffrent in france.
over here hourly rates are diffrent for mechanical/paint and body work but tu is a time unit
1 hour is 100 time units. unless every dealer ive worked for has been wrong
if do a job for 100 time units it shows as 1 hour on my pay check and the dealer submits a claim for one hour of labor at the shops hourly rate
Now I am convinced there is a difference how the dealers explain TU's to their mechanics in Miami, and in France.
It's just simply dividing 1 hour by 100, calling it Time units, and reverting the formula to express TU's in hours, for billing and payroll, hmmmm.

Well, still on this planet, there are people who are thirsty to learn, and curious driven to understand. Nothing to do with the conspiracy theory wiseguys.

If someone worked at porsche, he should be acquainted with the POSES.
In the Poses, there is the 'Labour Operations' section (and its not in the metric system for the witty)

993 Spark plug change

job code 28 70 20 00
260 Time Units
Sparkplug removed/reinstalled
contains:
Tailpipes remove / reinstall
rear muffler remove / reinstall
Air hoses to heat exchanger remove / reinstall
Cover f. camshaft housing remove / reinstall
Engine cover panels remove / reinstall

Mufflers change
job code 26 01 55 00
270 Time Units
Exhaust system replaced
contains:
Tail pipes remove /reinstall
rear muffler remove /reinstall
without:
catalytic converter remove/ reinstall

we can see clearly that for changing spark plugs, involving muffler removal/ reinstall
is not counted for as replacing the mufflers. The two cases will be practically billed the same,
but one is changing sparkplugs containing remove reinstall of mufflers, and one is changing mufflers only with new ones.....

Last edited by geolab; 09-22-2006 at 09:13 AM.
Old 09-22-2006, 09:08 AM
99firehawk
Drifting

actualy we dont use poses anymore but im framiler plenty with it. you can think what you want and you can belive what your dealer tells you, but the bottom line is 100 time units is 1 hour. porsche pays me one hour of my hourly rate for every 100 time units of warrenty work i complete. I also have to run time on every job i do, i have to log 1/2 hour on the job to get my .50 tu of pay for it. Every dealer in the us uses this system (except for 2 and porsceh still pays the dealer the same just not the techs)
Old 09-22-2006, 09:19 AM
geolab
Rennlist Member

actualy we dont use poses anymore but im framiler plenty with it. you can think what you want and you can belive what your dealer tells you, but the bottom line is 100 time units is 1 hour. porsche pays me one hour of my hourly rate for every 100 time units of warrenty work i complete. I also have to run time on every job i do, i have to log 1/2 hour on the job to get my .50 tu of pay for it. Every dealer in the us uses this system (except for 2 and porsceh still pays the dealer the same just not the techs)

I will dig into it more.

No poses anymore? I find it practical.
Although its primarily used inside the PIWIS at the dealer here,
They had it installed also on a PC, that I regularly use for finding answers
Old 09-22-2006, 10:05 AM
99firehawk
Drifting

PORSCHE TOOK POSES AWAY, DELETED FROM ALL IN SHOP COMPUTERS EVERYTHING IS PIWIS /PPN NOW.........GOD I MISS POSES
Old 09-22-2006, 06:53 PM
Marv
Rennlist Member

Still not done!

However, got to see the bucket of parts and several of the spark plug connectors showed visible signs of arcing through the rubber!

The dealer said that they were so impressed with the wire loom from Vertex that they will now order from them. The Vertex loom comes pre-asembled, whereas the ones they get come piece by piece and must be assembled.

Car will not be ready any sooner than Monday, noon. I am seriously going through withdrawal symptoms.

Quick Reply: Labor Time to Replace Spark Plugs?