993 Forum 1995-1998

Confrontation with the guy who backed into my parked C4S

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2006, 08:58 PM
Paulsha911
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Confrontation with the guy who backed into my parked C4S

I was getting a haircut in downtown Mountain View today (Imagine hair do shop on Villa St.) When I walked out, I found a black Jaguar backed into my car with his bumper sitting on top of mine, overlapping by about 4 inches.

The driver happens to be the husband of the salon's manager and I was later told that he is the owner of the salon. When he came out of his car, he took one glance at my bumper and proceeded to preach to me that "it's nothing". I looked at my bumper more closely and found there were a horizontal line of vertical scuff marks. They were very hard to see from more than 3 or 4 feet away but clearly visilble when you inspect it closely. There were also a black scuff mark.

When he saw me inspecting the bumper and clearly that I wasn't just going to let it go. He started raising his voice and now there were people starting to surround us on the street. Instead of just arguing with him, I asked for his driver license and insurance card. He started cursing at me and behaving fairly aggressively. His wife (the hair shop manager) came out at this point, and I took down his insurnace info.

He was still yelling, saying I don't deserve to drive a Porsche if I cannot take such a small thing. There is a puncture and lots of scratches all over the bumper of his fairly new car (obviously this guy is very wreckless in parallel parking). And he started accusing me that I am responsible for the those damages on his bumper. It took a lot of effort for me not to use force on this guy. I finished copying his insurance info at this point so I just drove away.

I took the car the Mathew Carlsen (renowned body shop who does all my work) immediately. Tom at Mathew inspected it. They have to buff some dust spect off of my spoiler in a few weeks (the buffing was never doen after I painted the fiberglss spoiler). Tom said he can take care of the front bumper while he is at it, at no charge.

So, while I am glad this didn't cause me any monetary damage. I am still mad as hell as that frigging jerk? What can I do? There is no monetary damage so it is useless to call his insurance company and file a claim.

I just filed a complaint on BBB on his hair shop business. But hair salon like this, I doubt that anyone would check BBB before going to a hair cut.

What else can I do? Is there a line to report bad driver? bad parker? aggressive off-car behavor?
Old 09-18-2006, 09:07 PM
ceboyd
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Wow!

it takes all kinds.. so sad... I feel your pain... I had something like that happen to me with an SUV driver lady who thought I was 'out of my mind' upset about scuffing up my front bumper right in front of me..

In my case, it was my clear bra that got the scuff damage.. I have yet to get it fixed (this is on my R32 and not my 993 which I typically don't parallel park)
Old 09-18-2006, 09:09 PM
Chris M.
Rennlist Member

Received 92 Likes on 78 Posts

For starters I'd get my hair cut somewhere else.

c
Old 09-18-2006, 09:14 PM
kalumbian
Advanced

www.iparklikeanidiot.com

If its possible, place one of these on his rear bumper without him noticing.

I personally would have clowned him verbally. Was he larger? smaller than you? If you could verbally show that he was a tool, that would quiet him down.
Old 09-18-2006, 09:19 PM
Paul M
POACB
Rennlist Member

Received 18 Likes on 3 Posts

I guess there's nothing to be done, except maybe have your paintshop invoice you a notional amount so that you can submit it to his insurance. Couple of hours labor - $150-$200 worth - to come out of his deductible.

I had a fat bitch hit my car with her door outside starbucks - while I was sitting in the car - and then try and tell me it never touched me!!! She had an ultra-venti-sugar-mocha-double-cream bucket in each hand, could hardly operate the door handle and then swung the door open with her knee. I was so relieved that it merely grazed the clearcoat and didn't result in a door ding, but still furious at her attitude and lack of responsibilty for her actions that I could hardly speak.

Just pure defiance and attitude. I'm convinced that **** like that gets inbred.

Edit: PS - I have nothing against fat people or bitches, big girls need love too.
Old 09-18-2006, 09:21 PM
ChrisA
Advanced

Mountain View has become a bit too busy of late, not worth the hassle. Only productive thing you can do is spread the word to your friends, and yes I would not return there for a hair cut. If he damaged your bumber with his car just imagine the fun he could have with a razor in his hand.
Old 09-18-2006, 09:26 PM
mborkow
Drifting

mathews-carlsen is top notch. some a$$hole hit me while parked and they made my 993 perfect again
Old 09-18-2006, 09:28 PM
stedge
Addict
Rennlist Member

I'd take a leak through the "open" wondow of his car... but then, I am not vindictive.
Old 09-18-2006, 09:34 PM
epj993
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Not much you can do, Paul. You can't change other people - just let it go. BTW, I think you handled it just right given the circumstances
Old 09-18-2006, 09:41 PM
curveraider
Racer

I am sorry to hear about your car. I was just there on Sunday evenin getting a hair cut. Anyway, I do not want to take this too far off topic, but can you post the contact info for Mathews-Carlsen... I need a few things painted up.
Old 09-18-2006, 09:48 PM
Paulsha911
Racer

Originally Posted by curveraider
I am sorry to hear about your car. I was just there on Sunday evenin getting a hair cut. Anyway, I do not want to take this too far off topic, but can you post the contact info for Mathews-Carlsen... I need a few things painted up.
You got your haircut there too? Be careful where you park next time.

Here is Mathews Carlsen's web site: http://mathewscarlsen.com/
You can call Tom Spencer. He is a really good guy.

Paul
Old 09-18-2006, 09:50 PM
pcar964
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by Paulsha911
I was getting a haircut in downtown Mountain View today (Imagine hair do shop on Villa St.) When I walked out, I found a black Jaguar backed into my car with his bumper sitting on top of mine, overlapping by about 4 inches.

The driver happens to be the husband of the salon's manager and I was later told that he is the owner of the salon. When he came out of his car, he took one glance at my bumper and proceeded to preach to me that "it's nothing". I looked at my bumper more closely and found there were a horizontal line of vertical scuff marks. They were very hard to see from more than 3 or 4 feet away but clearly visilble when you inspect it closely. There were also a black scuff mark.

When he saw me inspecting the bumper and clearly that I wasn't just going to let it go. He started raising his voice and now there were people starting to surround us on the street. Instead of just arguing with him, I asked for his driver license and insurance card. He started cursing at me and behaving fairly aggressively. His wife (the hair shop manager) came out at this point, and I took down his insurnace info.

He was still yelling, saying I don't deserve to drive a Porsche if I cannot take such a small thing. There is a puncture and lots of scratches all over the bumper of his fairly new car (obviously this guy is very wreckless in parallel parking). And he started accusing me that I am responsible for the those damages on his bumper. It took a lot of effort for me not to use force on this guy. I finished copying his insurance info at this point so I just drove away.

I took the car the Mathew Carlsen (renowned body shop who does all my work) immediately. Tom at Mathew inspected it. They have to buff some dust spect off of my spoiler in a few weeks (the buffing was never doen after I painted the fiberglss spoiler). Tom said he can take care of the front bumper while he is at it, at no charge.

So, while I am glad this didn't cause me any monetary damage. I am still mad as hell as that frigging jerk? What can I do? There is no monetary damage so it is useless to call his insurance company and file a claim.

I just filed a complaint on BBB on his hair shop business. But hair salon like this, I doubt that anyone would check BBB before going to a hair cut.

What else can I do? Is there a line to report bad driver? bad parker? aggressive off-car behavor?
At first I was going to say it was impressive that you showed restraint and did not physically confront this jackass. But then I realized, actually, there are some situations when a guy just needs an ***-beating.

Personally, I would go back there and demand some sort of payment for your time and trouble, and when he raises his voice and gets in your face, send him back into the salon with a broken wrist and tears running down his face.
Old 09-18-2006, 09:52 PM
geolab
Rennlist Member

Received 173 Likes on 119 Posts

First and foremost, TAKE A PICTURE EVEN WITH YOUR MOBILE PHONE. This is the most important thing.
A picture for the insurance says it all, and you will have all the details too (liscence plate, etc.)
I had the same thing happen on my front bumper, and I directly took a picture. When the other car driver (she) came back, she removed her car and the lady denied the whole thing happened.
I sent the picture to the insurance, it costed her insurance 1000 euros, and a few bonus points.
Old 09-18-2006, 10:05 PM
Dan V
Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sounds like you got off easy by bay area standards, as far as the damage sustained. I saw your car last month when I was getting my tires mounted at Devek and was impressed at how clean it looked. glad there wasn't any damage from this incident.
Old 09-18-2006, 10:05 PM
g_murray
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

This is why you should *always* carry a $10 disposable camera in your glovebox -- are you ALL hearing me?
You should have taken pix of HIS car overlapping your front bumper and of the resulting damage.
You then go to a 1 hr. photo joint and get hardcopy prints of the 'damage' which you then mail - along with the invoice of the paint/body repair shop -- to his insurance agency. PERIOD.

ALSO - another good reason for carrying a dis./cammie (if you're in an accident/fender-bender) is **to take photos of the PERSON who was _actually_ in the driver's seat at the time of the accident**. Why? Because often the person who shows up at the court case is NOT the person who was actually driving! (i.e. dufus has no driving lic./insurance and dings your pride-n-joy -- so come court-time -- cousin of dufus shows up. Don't laugh! -it's been known to happen!)

Back at the Ranch...

A$$holes like this who think that by ranting and raving that they can get away with $hit like this deserve to get hit where it hurts ...in the wallet.

If you read this response in time (before the body shop 'repairs' the damage) you should get pix for starters. You will feel better (and not constantly relive the situation "I should have done this, ...that....and the other") ...and you will make this a$$hole 'pay' for his complete lack of indifference.

Reminds me of the 'writing talent' in one particular Seinfeld episode who was smoking the cigarette in the elevator. She was clearly Eurotrash (I can say that, I'm originally from Ireland) and threatened to put the cigarette out in someone's face who confronted her.

THAT type of indifference we can do without thankyou.

G.
(I feel much better now that the voices have stopped.)

Last edited by g_murray; 09-19-2006 at 10:51 AM.

Quick Reply: Confrontation with the guy who backed into my parked C4S