Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

To Bilstein or not to Bilstein ?

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2006, 03:22 PM
geolab
Rennlist Member

Received 182 Likes on 125 Posts
Default To Bilstein or not to Bilstein ?

I have always strolled on ebay (since '99) and purchased any p-stuff I needed and did not need that I found at a good price.

And 3 years ago, I found a brand new front Turbo Monroe M030 shock for $50 shipped
and the two rear Turbo M030 monroe shocks for $30 shipped.
I thought it was a steal and kept them with loads of stuff I got off ebay.
After joining rennlist, all I could read about is bilstein HD's and PSS9's.

Knowing that my Carrera S is factory equiped with Euro M033, so, perfect ride height for me,
and knowing that I am used to and want the same ride height,
Is there a big difference in the shocks, monroe or bilstein?

What I mean is that if you change from US Carrera ride height to ROW M030, the difference is huge,
and I am sure this is a part why people installing M030 springs find a huge difference.
But I am trying to decide, shall I purchase the front missing monroe m030 shock?
or should I purchase the HD's?
We're talking 900 euros difference....

The springs I will get are the exact same actual ones I have, they are perfect.

actual bumper measure is 64cms rear/ 25.16 inches and 64.8cms front./25.46 "

In Swahili language, same springs, same height, bilstein or monroe?

Last edited by geolab; 09-15-2006 at 06:16 PM.
Old 09-15-2006, 03:51 PM
pcar964
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm interested to hear from the experts here, as well. Compared to the standard US Monroe's, obviously the Bilsteins are night and day difference. But compared to Euro M030 Monroe's, maybe a different story?
Old 09-15-2006, 03:57 PM
993RS
Race Car

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

On my previous 993 C2, I originally had Euro M030 Monroe shocks, and did not like them, so went for Bilsteins. On my current 993 C4S, I have Euro Turbo M030 Monroe shocks, and these are a lot better, so good in fact, that I have not considered changing them.
Old 09-15-2006, 07:38 PM
Garth S
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by geolab
In Swahili language, same springs, same height, bilstein or monroe?
I will answer in Sanskrit , for my knowledge of turbo Monroes is too deficient to employ Swahili ...... Bilstein.

No.1 project on my 993 was to replace the harsh (= dead) green monroes with a set of H&R/Bilstein HD. The improvement was dramatic - every slight ripple could be detected, but were all well dampened; however, with the front drive gear weight of the C4S, I could not achieve more than 130mm front height. Bump steer was a consequence - as much as I liked the performance, something had to be changed.
I have just finished installing M030 bars and ROW turbo springs, setting ride at 140/125mm - this height should be close to your C2S with M033: The result is far better on a pair of test drives - and that is with an alignment done with a pair of steel tapes and a 24" level gauge: The appointment for kinematic alignment is set, so I will know better then.
With some exceptions for Konis, I have used Bilsteins on Audis, BMWs, and now a 993 - sometimes even with the stock springs - and have always been pleased with the dramatic improvement.
Old 09-15-2006, 09:01 PM
geolab
Rennlist Member

Received 182 Likes on 125 Posts

Thanks Garth,
I am curious researching Kinematic stuff for the moment.
In Porsche program, they preconise doing alignment of the 4 wheels before kinematic toe adjust.
Where will you do kinematic adjust. , dealer or shop?

I have seen a kinematic tool being sold on the web.
Pictures show it bolted on the caliper and the air bubble scale measuring a front rear angle.
Whereas porsche have two bubbly tools P9549 & P9550 that are clipped on the control arms
and looks like measuring angles from left to right.

go figure
Old 09-15-2006, 10:09 PM
Garth S
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by geolab
Thanks Garth,
I am curious researching Kinematic stuff for the moment.
In Porsche program, they preconise doing alignment of the 4 wheels before kinematic toe adjust.
Where will you do kinematic adjust. , dealer or shop? .....
Hi Geo,
We actually have a Dealer in this region now - and they have the 'correct' kinematic gauges.
The sequence IIRC is to set heights, do corner weights, rear toe,rear camber, kinematic toe (rear),front camber, front caster, and lastly - front toe. I will set the heights and omit corner weights ( no choice, as there is no one capable of doing it) - the dealer does the rest ... fingers crossed.
Old 09-16-2006, 11:25 AM
GabiOsz
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I had the factory M033 option, and changed the shocks for bilstien HD's while keeping the M033 springs. The difference is massive, my original shocks were knackered at 55,000 miles.

Quick Reply: To Bilstein or not to Bilstein ?