Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

KBB Dealer Trade-In Value - solid info or not?

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2006, 02:53 PM
Slow Guy
Race Director

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

In the first place KBB started life as a DEALER guide, it is what dealers used to "guide" what they would pay/sell a car for. It was not available to the consumer. One thing that points this out is look at the same car and look at what it's trade-in value is and then on the same car it's resale value, there is a VERY large spread (6 - 10k). The dealer's use this to justify their hefty markup.

NADA was available to consumers through the banks and lending institutions but primarily provided the loan value though it does have a retail value.

Each of these (KBB, NADA, Edmunds) has their value but only if you take into account what their purpose is, KBB's purpose is to max. dealer profit. You must also understand they are all GUIDES, things like condition, mileage and options affect the value of an individual car.

The best you can do is look at what other cars like it are selling for, look at what the guides are saying and work out a price you're willing to trade/sell/buy for.
Old 09-14-2006, 07:32 PM
sigf
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 6 Posts

Thanks for all of the replies. Your comments are most helpful. This forum is great....
Old 09-14-2006, 11:08 PM
brucec59
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I think your approach - getting in touch with the current owner - is a good one. He still has the dealer's low-ball price in his head, and he may be thrilled to get a few k more.

As for the price guides, from what I've read, they do NOT get their data from actual sales. Their numbers are based on forumlas that calculate depreciation based on time and mileage, with different depreciation rates for different manufacturers and models. For "special" cars like ours, the formulas are off because they don't take into account the fact that depreciation slows and even reverses on some models. They are probably fairly accurate for about 5 years from new.
Old 09-15-2006, 10:16 AM
sigf
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 6 Posts

I spoke with dealership's sales manager who is angling to get a "taste" on the deal. He suggested that they would offer the 993 owner more on the trade knowing that a viable buyer was waiting. Essentially, they would broker the deal as opposed to me dealing direct since they seem unwilling to make the direct referral. This is basically a slick means of collecting a finder's fee, or depending on price, a bonus for doing little. I just want to see the car, and if I like it, do a PPI. If it passes, then the "dealing" commences. I don't mind offering a spiff, but not $5k or $10K worth... The new problem that occurred yesterday was that I stumbled into a pristine '89 911 that took my breath away. It is priced right, could be a concourse type car, but it is older technology. 993 versus 911, my mind is spinning...
Old 09-15-2006, 10:42 AM
jimbo3
Rennlist Member

Received 701 Likes on 419 Posts

Sigf- Doesn't matter how much the dealer makes, only that it's a good value to you. That said, you might try to make an arrangement that the dealer makes 10% on the deal provided it doesn't go over "$X". You could offer to take the car without them going through detailing. In the end, the delaer wants to sell at least one car and he's about to blow that, so you have a little more strength on your side- use it wisely.

BTW- if you go that route, PM me about the '89- I've been looking around for one.

Good Luck!
Jim
Old 09-15-2006, 11:08 AM
95 C4 993
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Take your time, be patient, and the right one will come along whether its a dealer or private sale. There are not a lot of Porsche's in Utah as well. The largest gathering of Porsche's I have seen have either been at the Porsche dealership or the PCA drive I went on 1x-maybe 20. A lot of Boxsters are around. Sometimes I feel like the Maytag repair man on the road-its lonely.
Old 09-15-2006, 10:38 PM
hddude
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by sigf
The question is how reliable is the Kelley Blue BooK Dealer TRADE Value info? Will dealers offer more money on trade than Kelley reports? I am trying to figure-out how "badly" this 993 owner got treated. Kelley lists the Dealer TRADE VALUE on an excellent condition, fully optioned 1997 C2 Coupe with 18M miles at around $27.7K. There seems to be a "big spread" between this number and current market listings, beyond what is normally considered dealer mark-up. I would appreciate any comments. Thanks.
People here almost always seem to value their cars far above KBB, so obviously KBB is wrong.
Old 09-15-2006, 10:50 PM
DC from Cape Cod
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 51 Likes on 32 Posts

Or, we base our ideas on professional opinions and freely quote our sources so others may take advantage of their knowledge as well.

Quick Reply: KBB Dealer Trade-In Value - solid info or not?