Sponsored by:

Clipped the kerb

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2006, 03:31 AM
Alan993S
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Angry Clipped the kerb

Was stopped at a narrow intersection of a two lane road, about to turn across the traffic. I had pulled in close to the kerb as a bus was bearing down on me from behind. As I turned, I clipped the corner of the kerb with the back wheel at about 10-15mph, which gave the car and my heart a bit of jolt. I have checked and there is no visible damage - only a slight brush on the tyre wall.

What other damage could have been sustained that I cannot see or should get checked out?

Got to remind myself that theres a fat *ss behind me.

Thanks
Alan
Old 09-13-2006, 03:55 AM
DBYT
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Alan,
You have a PM.
Darren
Old 09-13-2006, 03:56 AM
jcnesq
Miserable Old Bastard
Rennlist Member

Received 222 Likes on 122 Posts

Check the tire carefully - could be dangerous if the sidewall was damaged. Did that once myself, but got an instant flat.
Old 09-13-2006, 06:56 AM
Tania W
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wheel alignment is pretty important in our cars. It may pay to get it checked as it doesn't take long to unevenly wear a tyre or two if it is out.
Maybe a visit to your tyre shop or OPC (if they have a tyre expert) to get an opinion on tyre damage, and wheel alignment? I call into my tyre/alignment guy every couple of months for him to check tyre wear patterns. P-Zeros aren't cheap to replace, so it is good to get on top of problems sooner rather than later.
Depends on how hard you hit.
Good luck.
Old 09-13-2006, 07:23 AM
Garth S
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

It sounds like a fortunate close call without damage to me: if there is no abrasion damage to the rim edge, the slight scuff on the sidewall was the only contact made as the speed was low. Provided the curb was low, the approach angle was likely narrow and would have resulted in a sideways jolt in the rear: were the curb higher, the wheel rode up over giving a vertical jolt.
It is worthwhile to jack the wheel and spin it to confirm trueness and to verify the inner rim as well.
Old 09-13-2006, 09:46 AM
Alan993S
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

thanks - will take it in for a quick check.
regards

Quick Reply: Clipped the kerb