Valentine 1 with new POP warning

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2006, 12:04 PM
Robin 993DX
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Valentine 1 with new POP warning

I am ready to order another Valentine 1 radar detector (For another car), I have heard some feed back recently regarding the number of additional false alarm created by the new POP detection technology. Just wondering if anyone had any experience with that.

TIA
Old 09-05-2006, 02:12 PM
Ed Burdell
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I just bought a V-1 a month or so ago, and there are indeed some false positives out there, primarily from retail door openers and from other cars' radar detectors. I could go into city mode to reduce these, I suppose. I can't compare it with earlier units, however, so I don't know if I'm getting more than the older units did. Many times, the unit will inform me of a false signal itself, by displaying the "J" on the readout.

And the unit worked just fine when I was blasted at point blank range by instant on radar! Got one hell of a ticket, but I wasn't led off in handcuffs or had the car impounded. I'll call that a win.
Old 09-05-2006, 02:54 PM
2ndof2
Three Wheelin'

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I just bought one a week and a half ago or so. I can tell you it filters out a lot of the garbage false alerts my crappy Uniden went off on but I can't compare it to an older verson of the V1. I got nailed by lazer over the weekend and it went off, luckily I wasn't speeding at the time. As for instant on and pop I'd say that the real advantage is the sensitivity of the V1 in alerting you when someone else ahead is getting painted. There was a really good site another RL'er showed me where I read a review of alot of detectors. It was the best write-up I've seen. I'll repost in a second after I find it.
Old 09-05-2006, 02:57 PM
2ndof2
Three Wheelin'

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Here ya go....check out the test results. Its a pretty good read. I learned a thing or two and had read this AFTER I bought my V1. Having seen these results I don't regret the purchase in the least.

http://speedzones.com/
Old 09-05-2006, 06:09 PM
mborkow
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i got my v1 2-3 months ago. i use it mostly commuting to work: 40 miles down 101 from SF to Mountain View and 46 miles back on 280. i found all the bogus X and K warnings annoying (and they are all bogus on my commute) so i simply disabled X and K band warnings. that leaves Ka and laser, i have flirted with the idea of deactivating laser as well (since it is only bogus readings so far) but since that tends to be only 1 or 2 readings in each direction i have decided to leave it on. one note about the J indicator: i saw a cop pull over a car right in front of me. he must have been using instant on, since i only got a reading for a second. the v1 thought it was bogus (gave me the J after indicating a Ka reading) but it most definately was not bogus. i now treat all Ka warnings followed by a J as if they are real. just this morning (going down 101) i got a Ka warning for an instant that was followed by a J, but not too far down the road i got a very strong Ka warning, and quickly saw the cop heading in the other direction.
Old 09-05-2006, 06:27 PM
JFScheck
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yep - look for the "J" and it displays almost immediately...
Old 09-05-2006, 06:51 PM
grouchy
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts

I sent my unit back in to have the POP upgrade done. Usually see one J display on the trip from NW Indiana to the other side of Chicago (out by O'Hare airport) and back. Other than that, I haven't noticed any difference in the locations of certain of the constant signals that were there previously, doors, portable speed signs, etc.

Quick Reply: Valentine 1 with new POP warning