Flushed Slave Cylinder...WOW!

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2006, 02:52 AM
JasonAndreas
Technical Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 112 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by Droops83
Actually, 993 C2s all have conventional vacuum boosters, so procedure is the same as bleeding brakes on older 911s. The AWD cars (C4 and TT) have hydroboost.
The hydraulic clutch mechanism is exactly the same for the C2 and C4. The pedal operates the master cylinder which actuates the slave cylinder and that pushes against the release fork. To deal with the high contact force of the pressure plate required for a TT an additional power boost was added to the slave cylinder. There is a tandem pump that replaces the normal power-steering pump, sharing fluid between the systems but with an additional tank for the clutch added to the front trunk. The clutch operation is nearly the same except that once a certain pedal pressure is reached the high pressure inside an accumulator is released to a power valve which releases the pressure to the slave cylinder and that boosts the clutch operation.

The brake systems is where the hydraulic and vacuum systems come into play.
Old 08-30-2006, 02:17 AM
Droops83
Three Wheelin'

Received 76 Likes on 64 Posts

Good clarification, I thought that you were referring to the procedure for flushing the entire hydraulic circuit was the same on C2 and C4, when you were only referring to the clutch circuit specifically. I guess I tend to lump the two together since I always flush brake system and clutch system at the same time (unless I'm changing just a slave cyl or something and the rest of the brake fluid is less than 2 years old).

---

Chris Andropoulos
Schneider Autohaus
Santa Barbara, CA

Quick Reply: Flushed Slave Cylinder...WOW!